President of your Fanclub

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX President of your Fanclub

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by NewfieDawg53 Sep 13-12:51 pm.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LactoseTolerant

Hi AntiX forum denizens,

I’ve tried a ton of distros and I think AntiX is the best. Seems to do everything Ubuntu can but while using only 150mb RAM at idle.

TinyCore’s pretty cool too, but there is a steep learning curve and it’s sort of unreliable. I don’t have a CS degree, I’m just a guy trying to use computers.

Will B
    Will B

Greetings LactoseTolerant! 😀

antiX is pretty cool, that’s for sure, but I think we’ll have to arm-wrestle for the ‘President of the Fan Club’ position! 😉

Have fun and enjoy antiX!

Blessed and forgiven in the Pacific Northwest of the US! 😀

seaken64

I don’t have a CS degree, I’m just a guy trying to use computers.

I think this is true for a lot of us. But antiX has kept several of my old computers alive and kicking long after other OS’s have abandoned us. Over the years I have found it hard to work some other distros, mostly due to my own limitations. But with antiX I have managed to get things to work.

Welcome to the antiX forum!

Seaken64

PPC

. Seems to do everything Ubuntu can but while using only 150mb RAM at idle.

Well, almost “everything Ubuntu can” do… Because antiX does not use systemD, applications that depend on that won’t run- like Snaps. antiX also does not come, out of the box with a notification service- but you can install one- Dunst, etc…
    For everything else that does not depend on systemD or getting system notifications, yes, antiX is ideal!… No matter if you have a 10 year old computer or a bleeding edge one!
    The future antiX 19 release looks even better, has many cool changes that make life easier for newbies! If you haven’t done so, you can try the very stable beta…
    Also- if you are strapped for RAM- you can choose a desktop not managed by Rox or SpaceFm, if you also disable conky (most of the information available there shows up on antiX 19 iceWM toolbar out of the box), you get a very modern OS that runs on about 100Mb of idle RAM!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
    NewfieDawg53
    NewfieDawg53

Hi AntiX forum denizens,

I’ve tried a ton of distros and I think AntiX is the best. Seems to do everything Ubuntu can but while using only 150mb RAM at idle.

TinyCore’s pretty cool too, but there is a steep learning curve and it’s sort of unreliable. I don’t have a CS degree, I’m just a guy trying to use computers.

Welcome to the forum. Speaking as another relative newbie, I think you will find that AntiX is pretty awesome. I”m in the midst of resurrecting a couple of 18 year old Compaq PIIIs. One of the PIIIs has 17.4.1 on it, at idle just around 140MB RAM, the other with 13.2.1 is even leaner at 64 Mb RAM utilization. Be sure to look at the howtos and FAQs. Lot’s of good info to help you get used to AntiX.

Regards and Thankye Kindly,
    Newfie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.