Printing antiX21 Brother MFC HOW TO also works on19.4

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Printing antiX21 Brother MFC HOW TO also works on19.4

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Nov 22-10:20 pm by anticapitalista.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Done on antiX 21 Runit, sysv should make little difference.
      I just tested this step by step, it worked, no warranty as user made system changes could be an issue.
      This done on a fresh setup as I had made a frankenX where libs did not match. Live and learn.

Install for a Brother MFC device, most steps are also needed for Brother Laser Multi functional devices.
      Refer to Brother support for your specific printer model.

For my MFC-J6710DW

CRITICAL: PREQUISITES 32 Bit Support. RUNNING CUPS SERVICE

Use Runit service manager, if you are not running the full antiX version ensure cups is installed, set it to run on start.

For 32 bit support:
      sudo apt install lib32stdc++6 libc6-i386 lib32gcc-s1

Now create the spooler directory:

sudo mkdir -p /var/spool/ Check this has been created, if not make a folder manualy
      sudo chown lp:lp /var/spool/lpd
      /var/spool/lpd/mfcj6710dw will be created by printer installer Check it is owned by lp:lp and as shown user lp.

For debian you must specify the PATH environment variable.

Run the following command using the command line:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin

Download and run, as root the Brother Printer driver installer script, it is available on the US website.
      I needed to enter bash to the rox console before the script would execute, it is written for BASH.
      Should you prefer individual debfiles are available on the brother support download pages
      Install is easy, enter sudo apt install in console then drag the file icon in to the terminal window,
      the full path will be automagicaly setup. For files downloaded to a usb stick I had to copy them in to user download folder.

If you use any papersize other than letter, or wish to make changes you can enter your defaults on localhost:631 cups interface
      any graphical browser should do.

Do a test print, enjoy or fault find, I hope the former.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by ModdIt.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by ModdIt. Reason: Fail due wrong libs
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by ModdIt.
      ModdIt

My problem it seems. Sometimes my head is aching

———————————————————————————————————————————–
        libc6 2.31-13+deb11u2 is in Bullseye not 2.32.4.
        Will remove and install correct vers but maybe better I start over again with this install.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by ModdIt.
        Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

With such an important lib, you need to keep the default bullseye version (2.31-13+deb11u2) because installing the testing/sid 2.32-4 version will break other apps.

Is the Brother Printer driver installer from Brother available for the bullseye lib6?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ModdIt

Sorry for wasting your time anticapitalista,
            Feel old and tired right now..

I think the testing lib got pulled in when I had to provide some applications in a crazy
            hurry before you had them ready for packet installer. System running fine despite wrong lib.

The university was so kind as to give about 10 minutes notice of requirements.

Schools and University are in covid chaos with guidelines moving daily, if we are lucky
            often now little or no notice..

Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

No need to apologize – times are tough and stress levels are high – f%£k capitalism!

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.