Problem while reinstalling grub.

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 24-3:10 am by scruffyeagle.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    scruffyeagle

I was experimenting with Debian 11 (“bullseye”) as a 2nd OS, and it suffered yet another weird failure. This time, FireFox browser could only connect with a very few websites, and the rest couldn’t connect with the server. For example, Google & Facebook could connect, but StartPage.com & Weather.com could not. I’m DONE with Debian. v10.3 killed 3 old machines I owned. I had to throw them away. v11 has crashed repeatedly in 3 different installations into my recently acquired Dell Precision M6300.

The problem instigating this post today, is that I ran into a snag while trying to reset grub for my installation of Antix v19.3 (now fully upgraded via terminal).

I typed “sudo apt-get purge grub-pc grub-common” into a terminal, but then I saw that its output to the screen included the following:
    ————————

The following packages will be REMOVED:
    antix-installer* bootrepair-antix* grub-common* grub-efi-amd64-bin*
    grub-efi-ia32-bin* grub-pc* grub-pc-bin* grub2-common* installer-data-antix*
    os-prober*

————————

I aborted the operation (typed in “n” at the prompt), because it seems as if it’s deleting things beyond what is necessary. I mean, would I really want to lose “antix-installer*”, “bootrepair-antix*”, “installer-data-antix”, or “os-prober”?

And, what guarantee would I have that I could recover those files during use of “sudo apt-get install grub-pc grub-common”, or “sudo update-grub”?

I’m kind of stuck at this point, and I would appreciate a little guidance for what to do next.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by scruffyeagle. Reason: I put it into the wrong forum, at first. So, I tried to move it using the drop-down forums list
    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by scruffyeagle.
    Xecure
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Those apps use grub, so they have them set as hard dependencies. How apt works is, if you remove a library or dependency, all packages that depend on that dependency will also be removed.

Instead of uninstalling and installing again, repair grub with boot-repair app. You can reinstall grub and then repair it just after. It may be a much better option.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

scruffyeagle
    Helpful
    Up

I used the boot repair utility, and it seemed to work okay. But, rebooting to test it, I discovered a glitch. My 3 partitions are currently used as:
    #1: Swap,
    #2: Antix v19.3 (upgraded), and
    #3: Linux Mint v20.2.

The glitch, is that the boot repair didn’t find Mint. Instead, it found Debian v11.1, which I’d had previously installed in p#3, but over-written with Mint. I tested to see if it could boot Mint from the line specifying Debian, and the answer was no. It returned to the GRUB boot selection screen.

My solution was to go back into Antix, and enter sudo update-grub in a terminal.

That worked okay, but it had an odd side effect when I tested for booting Mint. Previously, Mint would go fairly quickly to the login screen. However, this time, it:
    1) Gave me a blank screen with “LINUX MINT” top center, and 4 or 5 dots below it, similar to the Antix Live display.
    2) It did a slow march across the dots, changing their color to display progress, similar to what Antix does.
    3) It showed a terminal login, in large amber lettering on a black background. (I think it was tty1.) I decided to just wait, and see what it would do.
    4) It displayed the normal LM login screen & routine.

Another oddity, is that the LM copy of Firefox has suddenly started working again. (It’s had an odd inability to connect with servers, and I’ve been trying to resolve that problem via the Linux Mint forums.) I don’t know if it will continue to work, but it’s working now! (Curiouser and curiouser…)

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

It sounds like you might have tried to share a volume between antiX and Linux Mint, for example, maybe your /home directory. That could produce the results you got. If you use Brave in one and Firefox in the other, that might fix it for this application. I wonder if any other applications will have the same problem. Save your backups for a while just in case.

PS: the best way to have Firefox on 2 different machines is to use their sync function, and it will automatically copy your settings and bookmarks for you.

• This reply was modified 6 days, 20 hours ago by BobC.
    scruffyeagle
    Helpful
    Up

It sounds like you might have tried to share a volume between antiX and Linux Mint, for example, maybe your /home directory. That could produce the results you got. If you use Brave in one and Firefox in the other, that might fix it for this application. I wonder if any other applications will have the same problem. Save your backups for a while just in case.

PS: the best way to have Firefox on 2 different machines is to use their sync function, and it will automatically copy your settings and bookmarks for you.

My personal files do get shared between OS’s, but I never try to share the directories of the individual OS’s. What gets shared are the files on my external HD, in their topically sorted, encrypted partitions. Those files do get read & written to by alternate OS’s. But, the directories themselves like /home, /downloads, usr, etc. never get shared. Unless of course, one of the programs ignored my settings of / directory for that partition. Like Mint ignoring my instructions, and using Antix’s /. But, I don’t see the same files showing up in the /home (etc.) directories within the alternate OS’s.

Things changed after using the Mint FF programs (both of them) for a while. Now, they’re both back to being only partially functional. The suggestion was made in the Mint Forum, that the FF malfunctions are being caused by IPv4 freezing up, while IPv6 keeps ticking along. That seems like a reasonable explanation, but, no suggestion for fixing it was given.

In the Mint partition, I currently have FF v94.0 installed from the repos, and v91.3.0esr placed into its own subdirectory (named “Firefox program”) in my /home directory. Usable from there, but not installed per se. The Antix FF is still working perfectly.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.