Problem with commands

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” Problem with commands

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Dave Sep 3-6:48 pm.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    worker0

Heloo friends,

Im need antiX linux to run DNS-Sinkhole.

It will be installed in virtual machine or separate device, I did not decide yet, but Im having some troubles with version. On my job I installed antix 17.4 ( Dont remember is it: net, core, base or full ). Im not sure but I think that it is base version since I dont have LibreOffice, and with gui it uses between 90 and 110 MB of RAM. Today I tested 17.4.1.net version and noticed that commands like: ping, curl, htop, top… simply dont work ( WHAT? Ping dont work ??? ). Is there any comparasion table of versions? I need CURL command for pi-hole package install. Whatis wrong with “net” version why there is no ping command and many other? If Im using base or full on my job, how to stop GUI, I dont need them. after configuration SSH is enough. At all what is difference between core and net and between base and full? Thank you

fatmac
    fatmac

Sounds like you want to use core, it’s a base command line version, whereas net is just enough to get you online so that you can build your own system. 🙂

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Xecure
    Xecure

Hello, worker0

I would highly recommend you use the search function in the forum (at least for future queries). For this time, I will help you out, but please know that the answers to your questions have already been answer at some point in time:

At all what is difference between core and net and between base and full?

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/boot-process-does-not-result-in-starting-x-a-window-manager/#post-24021

The following completely systemd-free flavours for both 32 and 64 bit architecture are offered:

antiX-full (c1GB) – 4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm, plus full libreoffice suite
    antiX-base (c680MB so fits on a cd) – 4 windows managers – IceWM (default), fluxbox, jwm and herbstluftwm
    _______________________________________________________________________________

Also, for expert users (who are comfortable with building up a customized debian-based linux system):

antiX-core (c330MB) systemd-free – no X, but should support most wireless
    antiX-net (c170MB) systemd-free – no X. Just enough to get you connected (wired) and ready to build.

Today I tested 17.4.1.net version and noticed that commands like: ping, curl, htop, top… simply dont work ( WHAT? Ping dont work ??? ). Is there any comparasion table of versions? I need CURL command for pi-hole package install. Whatis wrong with “net” version why there is no ping command and many other?

Net contains the minimum to start installing and building the linux system yourself (not to use out of the box). Nothing else. Core has more things installed, so use it instead of NET.

Info about packages included in core/base/full;
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/bspwm-an-exploation/#post-23975

“standard” items? For which antiX “edition”?
    Core // Base // Full

antiX17_FULL_installed-pkgs.txt
    antiX17_BASE_installed-pkgs.txt
    antiX17_CORE_installed-pkgs.txt

antiX17_inBase_NOTincore.txt
    antiX17_inCore_NOTinBase.txt
    antiX17_inbothCOREandBASE.txt

antiX17_inFULL_notinBASE.txt
    antiX17_inBASE_notinFULL.txt

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

After plugging in the ethernet cable and establishing a network connection… (yes I know, how do you test without the tools…)

apt-get update && apt-get -f install iputils-ping curl htop top ntop netstat iputils-traceroute ETC ETC

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

worker0

Thank you my friends. I installed successfully pi-hole DNS blocker, and it works like charm. I get 2 errors on boot, but everything work fine so I dont think that I need to explore thesee errors.

To dont open new topc,

What I need to do to allow connecting to antiX-Base 17.4 via SSH from my W10 Laptop? Thanks my friends

Xecure
    Xecure

Search is successful if you use the search box at right side of forum homepage

Now, I search for SSH
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/search/ssh/

And in the first page I find this answer:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/use-antix-as-nas-and-vpn-router/#post-23090

antiX provides an app named SSH-Conduit which does a lot of what you want and much more.
    Overview
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/ssh-conduit-suite/
    FAQ
    http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/ssh-conduit.html
    Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0up7Cluf4s

Is this what you are looking for?

worker0

Im confused. It is harder to setup on core version without GUI. I allready installed ssh-conduit-antix. What next 🙁 please…

Thanks

PS I checked https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/ssh-conduit.html but it seems confusing.
    What to do to allow connections after installation to core ssh-conduit-antix? Im dont say that there is no explanation. But it seems that all explanations is for GUI.

Thanks agains

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by worker0.
    masinick
    masinick

You may find it easier (at first) to start with the Full implementation of antiX, or at least the Base implementation until you are familiar with the specific packages you want to use to handle the tasks you are interested in. The Core release is certainly capable of doing whatever you need, but it’s called “Core” because it provides only core software, not a complete system full of applications, though the recent version includes a wireless interface. The “Net” version of antiX is even more pared down. It provides only a system core that must be customized manually using a wired network interface.

Though antiX Full and antiX Base may not have every single application you want to use pre-installed, both of them offer a GUI-based user experience. With a knowledge of available Debian-based software (or other Linux software that can be built through tar, bz2, or other formats) you can customize any of our distributions to your heart’s content, provided you understand what to do and the implications of the software and tools chosen.

I hope that at least points you toward an answer. Feel free to ask more specific questions and perhaps someone else can provide a more specific solution or suggestion for you. Best wishes! Brian

Im confused. It is harder to setup on core version without GUI. I allready installed ssh-conduit-antix. What next /> please…

Thanks

PS I checked https://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-17/FAQ/ssh-conduit.html but it seems confusing.
    What to do to allow connections after installation to core ssh-conduit-antix? Im dont say that there is no explanation. But it seems that all explanations is for GUI.

Thanks agains

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Brian Masinick

worker0

Thank you, I meet Base and Full through VM. Core is enough for DNS server. Only stay unclear how to SSH into it after installing ssh-conduit-antix. On W10 OS I use Putty but it can not connect. It is much simplier to setup VNC or RDP on GUI but I dont need gui for “server”, so can you please apoint me where Im making mistakes? Thank you

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

ssh-conduit-antix is a gui app so it not what you want.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

worker0

ssh-conduit-antix is a gui app so it not what you want

OK I realise that. I installed “openssh-server”.
    when enter command: “sudo systemctl status ssh”, I get replay: “Command not systemctl found/recognised”

Please, what to do?

manyroads
    manyroads

I’m no expert but I believe systemctl is a systemd command for managing systemd services. Given there is no systemd on antiX, you should look for a systemd-free equivalent application.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

worker0

I did “sudo passwd -u root”
    then type password/new password

then edited /etc/ssh/sshd_config line to PermitRootLogin yes

try again as root from putty and get “Access denied”

login as: root
    root@192.168.100.123‘s password:
    Access denied

What Im doing wrong???

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

Should be it as far as I remember.

As root (you can use “su” to switch to the root user)
    apt-get update && apt-get -f install ssh
    nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    Change /add
    PermitRootLogin yes
    Ctrl+x -> y -> enter to save and exit (should show you in the bottom.)
    service sshd restart
    ifconfig (to get your machines ip address)

Then on the other machine use port 22 and the ip with the root user specified. From another terminal (in antiX for example) the string would be
    ssh 192.168.0.101 -p 22 -l root
    Of course substitute the ip for the one of the server found via ifconfig earlier.

A place to look beyond that may be a firewall configuration if you have one installed on the core server or setup in your router or what have you.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.