Problems installing new themes on Antix Linux

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Problems installing new themes on Antix Linux

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by ile May 17-10:03 pm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KommissarLohmann

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Antix, but already enjoying the new life it breathed on my old acer aspire one netbook. I’ve downloaded some new themes from box-look.org for icewm and fluxbox. I’ve followed the widely recommended instructions to extract the theme folders and copy it to the /usr/share/icewm (or /urs/share/fluxbox), but after restarting the window managers or even the session, they don’t show up in the theme menu list.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, before installing antix to the hard drive, i’ve played around with a usb live session and managed to download and install the themes using the same method above and everything worked. Now, after installing antix in the hard drive, this doesn’t seem to work.

Help would be appreciated!
    Thanks

caprea
    caprea

It should work , the right place is /usr/share/icewm/themes and for fluxbox it’s /usr/share/fluxbox/styles , though.

KommissarLohmann

thank you for the quick reply. I mentioned incomplete paths, sorry. I copied the icewm and fluxbox themes to /usr/share/icewm/themes and /usr/share/fluxbox/styles respectively. And it has worked before in the live session usb persistence I’ve played around before installing into the hdd. Maybe is some permissions problem? I choosed the “root-move to” option to copy the themes, otherwise I didn’t had permission to copy them.

noClue
    noClue

/usr/share/icewm/themes and /usr/share/fluxbox/styles
    Maybe is some permissions problem?

Without that maybe. 😉

You need to set the owner and group to ‘root’ and access to 755 or 644.
    Best if you first check the original (unmodified) files.

Or … simply move themes to your home folder.

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

noClue wrote:
    Or … simply move to your home folder.
    that worked here on mine.

I untarred the themes to “~./icewm/themes” directory and they showed up in the menu when
    I restarted the wm session.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

skidoo

/usr/share/icewm/themes and /usr/share/fluxbox/styles
    Maybe is some permissions problem?

You need to set the owner and group to ‘root’ and access to 755 or 644.
    Best if you first check the original (unmodified) files.

Okaybut… I would not expect fiddling with permissions to be necessary here.

If copied via a file manager, would be unable to write files into /usr/share/ unless the file manager had been launched with elevated permissions. If it was, and the copy operation was successful, we should expect the default permissions umask will be applied to the copied directories and files.

Test for yourself to confirm ~~
    gksu spacefm (or or other file manager)
    copy the .dbus folder from your home directory (chosen example b/c it is tiny) into /usr/share/
    and inspect the properties of the copied directory (and its nested subdirectory and files).
    Expected result:
    all directories copied this way will be owned by root and perms 755; all files copied this way will be owned by root and perms 644
    (after testing, delete the /usr/shar/.dbus folder)

edit: as noClue has mentioned in the followup post, results when using rox-file and/or other file manager may be different

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by skidoo.
    noClue
    noClue

I did that skidoo — that‘s why I wrote what I wrote.

I was copying on command line and didn’t bother making protocols or debugging it but, I had that exact issue hundreds of times repeating, again and again.

Instead of an icon, I would get only a red cross. Please have a look at the screenshots …

The strange part about it is, there’s no system behind it; I had strangest combinations of USER:GROUP like … root:vboxsf … WTF?

However, that‘s unimportant. Normal user didn‘t loose anything in /usr/share and those who do, either know what they do or they burn their fingers.

Small kids usually touch something (too) hot only once. 😉

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

skidoo

Now, after installing antix in the hard drive, this doesn’t seem to work.

Ah, live vs installed…
    FWIW, on a live system, when I check

$ mount | grep mode
    —–v

tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,size=3288292k,mode=755)
    tmpfs on /live type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
    devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=16436756k,nr_inodes=4109189,mode=755)
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
    tmpfs on /etc/live/config type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
    tmpfs on /etc/live/bin type tmpfs (rw,noatime,size=10240k,mode=755)

Hmmmm, I’ll take a look again tomorrow.
    Just now, using gksu spacefm, I tested copying a .gif from /home/demo/ to /usr/share/pixmaps
    and the ownership did NOT revert to root, it remained demo:demo -rw-r–r–
    (so, even sticking with one file manager, I’m noticing a different result when copying a DIR vs when copying an individual file)

edit:
    The spacefm differing file-vs-directory behavior is non-configurable.
    Coin toss whether to call it a “feature” or a bug.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by skidoo.
    BobC

As far as IceWM, it doesn’t really answer your question, but there is a package with a lot more themes in it that you can install easily all at once . Just search for IceWM in Synaptic.

When I download themes from box-look, I just put them in ~/.icewm/themes (you need to create that folder), and then just specify the one I want in ~/.icewm/theme

I don’t use fluxbox, so can’t help there.

ile
    ile

hello KommissarLohmann
    Experience with only the spacefm and fluxbox. live is different depending on persistent or general. installed= it is possible to “copy” the file in user spacefm, but a root spacefm is needed to “paste” into the folder. So when un-archiving a folder do it in user mode folder and move the file into location of a priveleged spacefm tab. may be one of several ways to do it, that works here. same with the wallpapers and backgrounds may react similarly. minimal operations as root. the file menu has open root window for click. pretty much what skidoo said, but a click on file menu is easy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.