PRobOS

Forum Forums General Other Distros PRobOS

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by manyroads Jun 10-2:28 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Now, speaking about ‘Mean and lean’, modern looking and usable even by your grandma, running on almost anything that’s still able to boot and Systemd-free too …

PRobOS 0.3 (Debian based)

i3, LXDE and OpenBox come preinstalled OOTB.

RAM usage starts at 76 MB (i3), 97 MB (OB + Tint2) and 110 (LXDE).

Notice also that PRobOS with LXDE and Firefox open, ends up shortly before 350 MB.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Nice. Got a link to the iso since google doesn’t find one?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

manyroads
    manyroads

Wow, all that and it is only 80MB larger than the openbox and xfce I can build on antiX . Quite the accomplishment. Not.

Seriously, if 300MB is too large for antiX then why is 350MB good with PRobOS?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by manyroads.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Anonymous

noClue what are we comparing here.

If I compare, then it’ll read:

46.7 (PRobOS OB) vs. 322 (OB) or 402 (XFCE) MB RAM.

Or you’re comparing the naked desktop vs. the desktop with 2 open tabs in Firefox?

Too manyroads maybe … time for a second look … or sanity check … maybe this time at 1:1.

noClue …

P.S.
    Seriously:
    On a 384 MB RAM machine (128 + 256 MB), PRoboOS will let you surf with Firefox; the concurrent will be swapping only to keep the naked desktop alive.
    On my machines with 32, 64 and 128 GB RAM, it’ll not make any difference but, on them I’ll also not install something like transparent OB.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Where’s the link to this wonderful PRobOS? I’d like to take a look.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Now I’ve taken a look, let’s mention a few things for clarity.

32 bit based Debian net-install (it seems) originally built on wheezy, but upgraded to stretch.
    Openbox ‘desktop’ so no icons on desktop.
    RAM usage (in an installed vbox environment) is just under 100MB.

antiX-19-full ie buster based 64 bit running ‘live’ running IceWM (F6 option) but no rox or spacefm desktop
    RAM usage = 82MB

apples to oranges?

Anonymous

Maybe but, both very fine.
    Nobody complained! 😉

You even posted some nice XFCE screenshots once, in another thread.
    Veeery ‘Mean & Lean‘. Pitty we‘ve never seen more of it.

Anonymous

apples to oranges?

Pears to pears. 😉

PRobOS 0.3 LXDE 32-bit and antiX 17.4.1 IceWM 32-bit

The design and the basic use concepts of IceWM and LXDE are pretty simmilar (== MS Windows).

‘Naked numbers’ and ‘realistic use case’.

Firefox with 6 tabs open.

However, this thread wasn’t about the naked numbers only but, about ‘Mean and lean’, modern looking and usable by your grandma … so it’ll continue piece by piece.

PPC

Could any of you please provide a link to PRobOS homepage/iso download? Finding it is well above my googling skills… 🙁

Also @ NoCLue: how did you manage to get a idle ram use below 50 Mb? I’m assuming it was a 32bit version of the distro, and maybe without any wireless connection manager? Even so, having a netbook with less than 1 Gb available, it’s something that I’m interested in, maybe a system worth having side my side with my beloved antiX… Not having desktop icons is not important to me, I don’t even need a bar like tint2 if there’s a good menu system, but having a quick launch icon on some kind of bar would be nice, although not a priority…

@ Anticapitalista: In 64 bits antiX 16.X, 17.X and 19A2 I never manage to get below the 100 Mb of idle ram, not even using the “min” desktop settings.- I even disable volume-icon, conky, and wpa_suplicant…- Is there a particular trick you use to get such low ram usage or am I measuaring my ram usage wrong? – Also, although off topic- having somewhere very accessible a good description of the 3 “modes” available for every Desktop that comes out of the box with antiX would be handy for newbies- I took a while to view the “spacefm” / “rox” / [nothing] / “min” + [desktop name] as a kind of “resource saving” modes (from the more ram intensive to the least ram intensive), You lose some features as you go from one mode to the other, but gain more available resources… A similar but not quite right reasoning applies to the choice of Desktop [IceWM/ JWM / Fluxbox] – you lose some features and gain a tiny bit of more sources to use (but there’s dome features that FB has that non of the other Desktops have, etc]…

P.

Anonymous

“However, this thread wasn’t about the naked numbers only but, about ‘Mean and lean’, modern looking and usable by your grandma … ”

The ‘naked numbers’ to consider first, since that’s pretty easy.

32 or 64-bit?
    (64-bit systems are more memory hungry and not needed for the old computers.)

All WM’s (Fluxbox, IceWM, OpenBox …) should basically stay under 150 MB RAM.
    Very light-weight DE’s (LXDE) should stay under 250 MB RAM.
    Light DE’s (XFCE) should stay under 300 MB RAM.

Remember — starting with something light and then adding all missing features and components to compensate for the drawbacks of light will result in memory-hungry monster.
    The opposite of ‘Mean and lean’. If you want all bells and whistles that you might get, you could easily just take Plasma which will be 1000 times more elegant and more sophisticated, better implemented and probably even use less resources at the end, then when starting with something rudimentary (OpenBox for example) and then adding search A … menu bar X, task bar Y, start menu V, ‘info-center’ (ex. Conky) W, compositor Z …

Plasma runs on approx. 400 MB RAM, specially reworked/rebuild Plasma (like FLY) needs only approx. 220 MB RAM.

skidoo

1000 times more elegant and more sophisticated, better implemented and probably

gotta swap muh boots for hip waders ~~ the level of hyperbole is really gettin’ deep in here.

Sadshark [p.n.2001]
    Sadshark [p.n.2001]

Looks good but the name is rather unfortunate in my opinion… Sounds like the OS is a “PRoblem”

Running Antix 17 on my Compaq Mini 110c-1100
    On my desktop running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    The antinatalist antifascist childfree vegan mini-manifesto
    Bertolt Brecht's beautiful poem, the Unconquerable Inscription.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Lets be clear – there is no distro available called PRobOS.

olsztyn

Now I’ve taken a look, let’s mention a few things for clarity.

32 bit based Debian net-install (it seems) originally built on wheezy, but upgraded to stretch.
    Openbox ‘desktop’ so no icons on desktop.
    RAM usage (in an installed vbox environment) is just under 100MB.

antiX-19-full ie buster based 64 bit running ‘live’ running IceWM (F6 option) but no rox or spacefm desktop
    RAM usage = 82MB

apples to oranges?

IMHO:
    One can continually search and sometimes discover ever ‘lean and mean’ linux implementations in raw RAM numbers comparisons. I have done this too but having extensively evaluated various distros eventually settled on the most dexterous, most flexible – AntiX. It has everything that is useful and important and none of the useless fat.
    As I am AntiX on many my laptops, mostly in Live USB or Frugal one of them is an ‘ancient’ T23 with browser continually running connected to WiFi Enterprise and for apples to apples comparison it is 32bit – RAM usage is hovering around 220M.
    I have not found a linux distro matching AntiX in the following criteria:
    – Flexibility
    – Incredible Live creation and cloning customize options
    – Extensive Persistence options
    – Flexible Boot options

However I do not care about fancy and wasteful desktops and other fat. Space Fluxbox has everything that is of value to me for desktop… So unless ProbOS evolves to the point of exceeding the flexibity and dexterity of AntiX I do not see this announcement of any relevancy to warrant any AntiX comparisons as yet…

manyroads
    manyroads

Hear, hear @olsztyn. The more I work with antiX the more it impresses me. I personally am not motivated as much by RAM use/consumption as I am by excellence of design, implementation, flexibility, and the readiness with which I can access the ragged edge. btw. I, also, like making desktops pleasing to my eye.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    bspwm MX-18.3 kernel: 5.2.15-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- BL- ArchLabs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.