Proposal: antiX’s Conky Manager

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Proposal: antiX’s Conky Manager

• This topic has 72 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Apr 1-11:53 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Wallon

Caro PPC,

I’ve simply corrected Conky’s name.
      Conky is the name of a character in a TV series.
      About Conky
      It needs to be capitalised because it’s a proper noun.
      At Linux, they’ve got some imagination when it comes to naming software!
      Very nice presentation.
      Perhaps anticapitalista would like a version with gtkdialog?

Com os melhores cumprimentos,
      Wallon

PPC

@Ile – many thanks! I never even thought about the possibility of having more than one conky package on the repository!

@All- I consider the script to be fully production ready, with version 0.9.

Change log:
        – included on/off toggle for a Monthly calendar
        – added icons and tooltips to the “Modern Conky ‘Applet’ Manager”
        – selected a new, more international, and Linux related, default RSS
        – fixed some small typos and mistakes

I won’t try to work around the limitations of the Conky that is shipped in antiX 23… but I do hope @anticapitalista can, if possible, include a version that does have rss support.
        Unless a bug is found or I have an unexpected idea (or @anticapitalista has anything he wants to be implemented), this is, for now, the final version of the script.

P.

Forum Admin
        anticapitalista

The conky used in antiX-23 is the same version as the one in antiX-21/22 ie conky-legacy-std 1:1.9.0-6
          However, antiX-22 shipped with conky-legacy-all rather than conky-legacy-std

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC

Change Log:
            – I decided to include a GUI to change the default color used in Modern Conky…

To do:
            -Managing a few more generic conky options can be easily added to the Modern Conky Manager GUI (like using a border around conky, or a background, or borders around characters – that I enabled by default)

@anticapitalista – is there a way to use conky-legacy-all by default in antiX 23, or at least make it the default in antiX 23.1?
            EDIT: any interest in using this GUI by default in antiX 23.1’s Control Centre?

P.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
            Forum Admin
            rokytnji

EDIT: any interest in using this GUI by default in antiX 23.1’s Control Centre?

I’d like it.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
              I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
              Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
              How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

MAKCNM_0709

РЕДАКТИРОВАТЬ: есть ли интерес к использованию этого графического интерфейса по умолчанию в Центре управления antiX 23.1?

П.

I think this is a great idea

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by MAKCNM_0709.
                Brian Masinick

I decided to try yellow primary text in Conky for a while; I already use yellow text on a black background in my default terminal settings so it matches my configuration. The only color of the four selectable colors that works, but doesn’t go well with my current wallpaper is black; I also noticed, and brought up the custom color selection; since it looks just like the standard tool I didn’t experiment with it yet but I may; chances are I’ll revert back to yellow anyway.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I ran the manual selection tool and it works best if you either scroll the wheel or modify the RGB numbers 0-255, so it does work.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I decided to try yellow primary text in Conky for a while; I already use yellow text on a black background in my default terminal settings so it matches my configuration. The only color of the four selectable colors that works, but doesn’t go well with my current wallpaper is black; I also noticed, and brought up the custom color selection; since it looks just like the standard tool I didn’t experiment with it yet but I may; chances are I’ll revert back to yellow anyway.

I ran the manual selection tool and it works best if you either scroll the wheel or modify the RGB numbers 0-255, so it does work.

Based on this, I think the tool is ready to go unless someone else finds an issue that I did not encounter in my testing. I did not check every option in this round of testing, but unless items other than the color have changed, I’ve already backed up and restored versions, toggled between classic and modern, and switched features and colors, so I think we have test coverage.

--
                      Brian Masinick

PPC

I’ve simply corrected Conky’s name.

Dear Wallon, sorry- I just now noticed your post. Can you please tell me where you corrected the name, so I don’t have to read your version of the file from top to bottom?

P.

Brian Masinick

I also tried ./antiX_conky_managerV10 with my antiX 23 s6 setup and it works the same here as expected.

--
                          Brian Masinick

PPC

Thanks for all the testing!

I just found a tiny problem – I forgot to, in the “Modern conky” template, to set the Calendar color to the default one. Also fixed some text, capitalizing Conky’s name (thanks, Wallon).

marcelocripe

I’m testing the “antiX_conky_managerV101.zip” version, in particular the new button “Select a Conky configuration file to load”, because this button could be the solution for ISO full’s antiX to have several “.conkyrc” files with the translation for multiple languages, where each file has a translation into a specific language. These “.conkyrc_xx_YY” files can be stored in a “locale” folder, inside the “antiX_conky_manager” folder, in a “lib” folder. I believe that at least the languages that we have active volunteer translators on the forum will benefit from, benefiting many people all over the world.
                              I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but the “pt_BR” file is not being executed after restarting the session or IceWM (I don’t know which program is restarted by “antiX_conky_manager”).

– – – – –

Eu estou testando a versão “antiX_conky_managerV101.zip”, em especial o novo botão “Select a Conky configuration file to load”, porque este botão pode ser a solução para o antiX da ISO full ter vários arquivos “.conkyrc” com a tradução para vários idiomas, onde cada arquivo tem a tradução para um idioma específico. Estes arquivos “.conkyrc_xx_YY” podem ser armazenados em uma pasta “locale”, dentro da pasta “antiX_conky_manager”, em uma pasta “lib”. Eu acredito que ao menos os idiomas que temos tradutores voluntários ativos no fórum serão beneficiados beneficiando diversas de pessoas pelo mundo todo.
                              Eu não sei o que estou fazendo de errado, mas o arquivo “pt_BR” não está sendo executado após reiniciar a sessão ou o IceWM (eu não sei qual é o programa que é reiniciado pelo “antiX_conky_manager”).

Brian Masinick

Thanks for all the testing!

I just found a tiny problem – I forgot to, in the “Modern conky” template, to set the Calendar color to the default one. Also fixed some text, capitalizing Conky’s name (thanks, Wallon).

I double-checked this one and explicitly tried the calendar this time and all is well.
                                I made a number of experiments with colors since there have been some changes to this code
                                and the colors are also working fine.

I’ve also been backing up, reverting to the classic style, restoring the backup and all of that logic is working as expected too.

Unless I am overlooking something or not exercising every possible combination, I am pretty certain this is a good solution;
                                works fine for me in any case and I’ve been using the past 3 updates for my regular Conky on all three of my installed instances
                                of antiX – 23 runit, antix – 23 s6, and antiX 23.1 runit; all work the same way (as they should).

--
                                Brian Masinick

PPC

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but the “pt_BR” file is not being executed after restarting the session or IceWM (I don’t know which program is restarted by “antiX_conky_manager”).

Dear Marcelo – I have absolutely no idea what you are doing wrong.
                                  What the GUI does, when you select a Conky file is replacing the default Conky (in ~/.conkyrc) by the selected file. That change is permanent, unless you undo it, restoring the original Conky, selecting the “Modern Conky”, restoring Conky from the backup, manually editing the .conkyrc file, replacing .conkyrc using a terminal command or from a script or from a File Manager. Was my explanation exaustive enough for you?
                                  What you are reporting is impossible, in an installed antiX. When a file gets changed, it stays changed, until you change it.
                                  As far as I can tell, even in a Live antiX session, both restarting Icewm or the session should also reload the correct .conkyrc (only if you reboot, without persistence, does the entire system get restored to the original values, not just for Conky, but for everything).

Just to be exhaustive, I went to your Internet Arquive page, downloaded the conky .zip file you have there, extracted the .zip file, in antiX Conky Manager, I selected a pt_BR conky file. The conky instantly changed to the pt_BR one. I restarted IceWM, of course, no change, I still had the “pt_BR Conky”. I logged of and logged back on. I still had the “pt_BR Conky”.
                                  My script just replaces the conky configuration file, that it used to know what information to display on the desktop.
                                  No amount of restarting the window manager, logging off and logging back on, rebooting, etc, changes a configuration file. It’s “set in stone” until you change it.

Oh, on your doubt “I don’t know which program is restarted by “antiX_conky_manager””: My script just restarts conky (always using the current ~/.conkyrc file), every time a configuration is changed. It loads no other program.

EDIT1: Please see my post below. Sometimes I have an hard time understanding what Marcelo is saying. Since, when you load a conky file the change is instant, and he did not say that he never gets to see the conky change to the new selected conky configuration… I thought that he was saying that, after restarting conky, or the session, conky went back to it’s original version (not the file he loaded). Please note one thing: when you load a new conky configuration file, the change is instant. You see it change on the screen. There is no need to restart the Window manager or the session- why would you think that? All other changes the GUI allows you to do produce instant effect, why would loading a new file be any different? It’s my fault, of course. I remove the part of the function that displayed a warning if no valid selection was made, in the file selection window… If I kept it, Marcelo would see a warning that no new file was loaded… Why he failed to load his conky configuration file? Knowing him, he stores that file in a folder with spaces.
                                  Don’t use paths with spaces, it’s not a good practice! But it was easy to fix, I just had to quote the variable that stores the selected file, so the script can correctly run the “cp” command on it! Sigh…

EDIT2: Warning- small rant on translation:
                                  Seeing, in your PT_BR localization of the default Conky antiX uses, “SWAP” replaced by “Trocas” is just weird.
                                  You could have translated “RAM” by “Memória”, but you choose to keep the original term because it’s universally understood. “SWAP” is exactly that- an universally understood term (well, universally by those that understand that it referes to swapping information between the RAM and disk, because the RAM does not have enough space to store all the information it requires to store).
                                  Just using a Portuguese word for the sake of it, just so there’s one less English word on the screen, it’s not, in my opinion, a good translation practice, if that particular English term is the best one (and used in your own language- it happens a lot, languages absorb tech related English words, like smartphone, tablet, PC, touchpad, Kernel, USB, SSD, RAM… or “swap”)

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.