Proposal: antiX’s Conky Manager

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Proposal: antiX’s Conky Manager

• This topic has 57 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated Jan 23-9:43 pm by PPC.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I just tested sneaking antiX conky manager into the Control Centre:
      1- make sure that you placed the antiX_conky_manager script in your home folder, and it’s called just antiX_conky_manager

2- antiX menu > Terminal > run this commands: (enter your password if asked to):

cp  /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh ~/antixccBACKUP.sh 
      sudo geany /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh

The first command backs up the Control Centre script, the second one open up it’s code for edition, in geany.
      Scroll down to line that reads
      "desktop-defaults-run -te $HOME/.conkyrc &" \
      it should be line nr 265 or 288 .
      Replace that line with
      "$HOME/antiX_conky_manager &" \
      Save the change (example: using Geany’s “File” menu > “Save”)

Now, every time you click the “CM” button in Control Centre, antiX Conky Manager will appear.

*If you wish to restore the default Control Centre:
      sudo cp ~/antixccBACKUP.sh /usr/local/bin/antixcc.sh

Edit: I corrected a copy paste error

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
      PPC

I had to think long and hard to figure out what the hell Marcelo was trying to tell me about loading Conky configuration files. The only possibility is that he never loads the new file at all… The only thing I can think of that can cause that is his tendency to use spaces in folder/file names. I edited the script so it deals with spaces in the path of the Conky file the user wants to load. Seriously, everyone: do not use spaces in paths!!!

This scripts seems like an never ending battle… 🙁

Marcelo, please, when you can, test if you can load a conky file using the script. The change should be almost instantaneous! If nothing change it’s because the new file is not being loaded (i.e. the script can’t copy the content of the file you selected to ~/.conkyrc)

EDIT:
        Since I’m thinking about every single possible complaint anyone can have about this script:
        -By default wttr.in tries to guess your location and it usually does a good job. But, if you want to change the location for which the weather is displayed, you can do this: when using the modern conky, open the GUI and select to manually edit the configuration file. Search for the text wttr.in/ It should be in line 108. after wttr.in/ and before ?format=4 insert the name of the location you want, using the names wttr.in uses (usually it’s the name of the place, it can also be the capital letters of the closest airport- you may have to dig around, to find the name.) Perform the change and save the configuration file. Hit to button to refresh conky’s contents and the weather should update. For my city, I use wttr.in/porto?format=4

P.

marcelocripe

Thank you very much PPC for testing.
          I tested on a 64-bit antiX 23 full LiveUSB, selected the file I downloaded and clicked the OK button, Conky was restarted and did not change to the translated file.
          I appreciate you pointing out my flaws in the translation, I will correct them (translating what was missing), test again and update the compressed file on the Internet Archive.

The only thing I can think of that can cause that is his tendency to use spaces in folder/file names.

I think now I can understand what the problem was, the folder where the Conky file was has space, its name is “Translation and Configurations of Conky antiX 23”, but it does not have accents or special characters as recommended.
          I appreciate you looking into the issue.

– – – – –

Muito obrigado PPC por testar.
          Eu testei em um LiveUSB do antiX 23 full de 64 bits, selecionei o arquivo que baixei e cliquei no botão OK, o Conky foi reiniciado e não trocava pelo arquivo traduzido.
          Eu agradeço por você apontar as minhas falhas na tradução, eu vou corrigi-las (traduzindo o que faltou), testar novamente e atualizar o arquivo compactado no Internet Archive.

The only thing I can think of that can cause that is his tendency to use spaces in folder/file names.

Eu acho que agora eu consegui compreender qual foi o problema, a pasta onde o arquivo do Conky estava possui espaço, o seu nome é “Traducao e Configuracoes do Conky antiX 23”, mas não possui acentos ou caracteres especiais como é recomendando.
          Eu agradeço por investigar o problema.

Brian Masinick

@Marcelo, respectfully I suggest that “Translation and Configurations of Conky antiX 23” is “too much information”.
            First of all, when you include antiX 23, that means this will have to be modified with every update; that’s a lot of extra work.
            Secondly there are other extraneous words.

Conky Configuration, Conky Information, or something like that is enough for the vast majority of people to understand that Conky is nothing more than a visually pleasing information display – but putting all of that into a description is ALSO too much. Cut the description down considerably and it will probably work better, at least that is my advice.

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

“Conky is the name of a character in a TV series.” @Wallon I did not realize this, so thank you for letting those of us who are not that much into commercial television where the name came from! I think it’s a nice and interesting way to mix culture and information.

Also, to punctuate a point made just a short while ago, we do not have to be complicated in our description of Conky. It’s a clever tool, but the fact of the matter is that it merely displays information, as little or as much as we put into the Conky configuration file; same with the appearance; it can be really simple or quite fancy, but ultimately it only displays the content and format that are described in the Conky information file, so the resultant display is only as good as the specific configuration.

For those who really want to explore the tool’s capabilities, the people in the MX Linux Forum, most of who were active members in the previous “MEPIS Lovers Forum”, have an excellent collection of Conky configurations available. I recommend it for anyone wishing to explore what Conky can do!

--
              Brian Masinick

PPC

I used MX a few years, I even dual booted my old work desktop PC antiX/MX (until it died on me). So I’m aware of the large number of Conky configuration files they have available.
                The current GUI that I suggest does allow user to load any conky configuration files they want (possibly most MX ones won’t work on antiX, the few I tested, years ago, failed to work).
                My suggestion is a mix of 2 ideas:
                1- Having a GUI that allows users to manage the current conky (by backing it up, restoring the backup, toggle conky on/off, manually edit it) AND
                2- Switch to a conky configuration that can be managed much like most OSes manage desktop Applets, choosing which ones to display, and choosing it’s settings from the GUI (currently only the default color, more options may be available in the future).

I guess this last option is what, for example, ex-Windows may expect: “Hey, can I have a clock applet on the desktop? Or a calendar? Or the weather? Or the news?”. Now the answer is “Yes”, using this GUI, all they have to do is select to use the “Modern” Conky configuration and then manage it’s “applets” or “settings” using a GUI- the single “downside”? Hum… Our current “applets” to look plain, not that fancy at all… and you can’t move them around (they are displayed in the order that is shown in the buttons. Of course you can reorder them- manually edit the configuration file and move the lines to where you want them to be. The config file is extremely well commented, so almost anyone with patience to try to open it will understand what each setting does. If I was a paid developer, I could invest even more time in this GUI, and add the option to move the “applets” around… Since I write scripts in my free time, I guess this tool came out quite nicely.)
                Even if it isn’t included in antiX be default, it’s something we can point users to, in the future, making antiX even more customizable using GUI’s than it ever was… hum… someone may even think that I used to be a KDE user and I miss the infinity of configuration options it has available and I’m slowly trying to port all that into antiX. Nope. I think I never even installed any KDE distros, but I tried some on virtual machines – and that’s where some of my ideas come from.

Like I always think to myself, when building GUI’s for antiX: if it looks nice, it’s easy to use and adds features to the system, without any extra resource usage, why not go for it?

P.

Brian Masinick

@PPC I like your thinking; at the same time, there are limits to what “makes sense”; one crazy thing about Windows, despite the proprietary nature, is that once upon a time there was NOT enough flexibility; they certainly have addressed that in many cases, but sometimes, there’s almost too much.

The flexibility of Conky and the fact that it CAN be configured to do ALMOST anything is, to me, a bit of a slippery slope.
                  While it’s an efficient tool and a way to display almost anything – and when you think about it, you COULD have stuff displaying on (either behind, in the background or visible, in the foreground) just about any feature,

Imagine taking inxi -zv8 and displaying it through Conky? To me, that is simply taking it too far, Could it display all of that vast array if information? Maybe yes, maybe no, but this is an example of taking a good idea to a ridiculous extreme, if you catch the jist of what I am saying.

I think you have added some excellent capabilities and visual expressions to the tool, and perhaps there are a few more cute details that could be added, and still keep it efficient, but now we’re bordering on the side of “Is it too much”? and I think that very soon the answer to that is yes. So if you have a very simple addition, OK, otherwise I’d say stop while you’re ahead.

--
                  Brian Masinick

PPC

@Mr Masinick – yes, we really have the same opinion on this subject.
                    With the fix for loading conky configuration files in a path that includes spaces, I think the script is completely bug free (famous last words, I know).
                    It’s production ready as is… even so, I would like to:
                    – Clean up the code (I’m aware I could use basically the same function on different strings, to change most modern conky settings, there’s no need to have an entire function basically repeated a dozen times- but I’m a lazy coder, I code one section at a time… if it works, I tend not to mess with it)
                    – Add some “cute details”, like a buttons to toggle fonts using outlines (that I enabled by default to make them always easier to read); toggle conky background; toggle a border around conky… That’s basically all the features that I can think of that change the way conky looks and that may be useful for some users. Ideally, I would like to also have a way to change the font and it’s size, but that is different in each conky section, and adding multiple buttons like “changing weather font size”, “changing news font size”, etc would fall in the category “is it too much” – if an user wants to do that, well, the code is as well commented as I could make it- open it, read it, get a feel for what does what and change it. You can’t really mess it up- there’s a big button on the main screen that resets the modern conky to it’s default values! (and another one that resets the default conky to it’s default too)- so users really are free to experiment, without risking breaking anything – how often can you say that about Linux? 🙂

P.

Brian Masinick

OK “P”, I’ll take you at your word. Sometimes in programming there is a technique known as “refactoring”. It takes place after some work has been done, and things have been learned from the previous work.

When projects keep adding stuff, one thing on top of another, eventually it becomes a mess, and it’s worth taking another look at the tool – is it efficient, is it maintainable, is the code properly organized? Once the feature list is well defined, at times a new design, possibly using different algorithms, methods and techniques is needed, and that’s called refactoring.

Another case is if the usability or appearance can be improved with a few simple changes. Sounds like the work you are thinking of it somewhere in between the lines – it’s not really a complete refactoring; after all Conky is a fairly simple display tool, but it is about making the overall effort better streamlined, and possibly adding one or two conveniences – a button here or there – to make it all come together.

If you can improve code “reuse” by using a few common variables throughout, and adding one to five buttons in strategic spots to quickly and efficiently alter the items being displayed, perhaps it’s worth it, assuming you have the time (you obviously have the intellectual curiosity). Just beware, this fascination with features has a name – feature creep, so please keep that in mind too.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

FYI, for anyone who wants to “experiment” with Conky – a Conky Config settings document:
                        https://conky.cc/config_settings

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Let’s see if I can send my .conkyrc as an attachment; I made a few minor changes to what @PPC has put together to create my own customized version, only slightly different than what the PPC version has – mainly I wanted to change the time and date to suit my own personal preferences; when I first changed it, adding the seconds and AM/PM took the date and day off screen, so I experimented a few times until I found exactly what I want.

Compare what I have to what @PPC has and you will see that only a few small things change, but it makes an obvious difference, and that is the beauty of Conky!

Since our forum software will not accept .conkyrc, I copied .conkyrc to BrianConky.txt, and at least for me that worked.
                          If you want to try my version out, first save your .conkyrc in case you don’t like my version –
                          cp .conkyrc .conkyrc-SAVE, then save BrianConky.txt, and cp BrianCnnky.txt .conkyrc

When you’re done, either copy your saved file back to ,conkyrc, or keep all of them and bounce back and forth to your heart’s content.
                          Also if you compare what I have to what @PPC has in his file and also in the old original conky, which I believe gets renamed to .conkyrc-lua or something similar; look around at your hidden files; as you compare them it is not too difficult to save one file, make a few changes and move them back and forth to the .conkyrc; if you keep a few different versions with different names, you can easily experiment and recover from the bad experiments!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.
                          Attachments:

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@PPC I now see your CM label, and it calls the Conky Manager right from the Control Center/Centre (I’m used to the FORMER spelling; the Centre looks “French” to me!) 🙂

I did one thing differently than your exact specification: I keep my own scripts and small programs in ~/bin, a.k.a. $HOME/bin, so I made that one change; otherwise I followed your directions. Between your tools and mine, I have a decent collection there, plus a bunch of Clock scripts that I created just to get some practice in Perl, Python, TCL/Tk and maybe one or two others. These are just hobbies to keep at least a tiny bit of scripting and coding skills remaining in my skillset; at this point it’s only a hobby.

--
                            Brian Masinick

ile

Hello PPC. “Like I always think to myself, why not go for it?”
                              Hugs.
                              Hello Mister Brian. Conky with MX linux configurations are not conky-legacy configuration. The link to conky configurations printed by You at #129710 is not conky-legacy.
                              antiX lean and fierce native is conky-legacy.

Brian Masinick

@ile so what you are saying is that:

conky - highly configurable system monitor (transitional package)
                                conky-all - highly configurable system monitor (all features enabled)
                                conky-cli - highly configurable system monitor (basic version)
                                conky-std - highly configurable system monitor (default version)

are not in use (at least in the default configuration; instead

conky-legacy - highly configurable system monitor (transitional package)
                                conky-legacy-all - highly configurable system monitor (all features enabled)
                                conky-legacy-all-dbgsym - Debug symbols for conky-legacy-all
                                conky-legacy-cli - highly configurable system monitor (basic version)
                                conky-legacy-cli-dbgsym - Debug symbols for conky-legacy-cli
                                conky-legacy-std - highly configurable system monitor (default version)
                                conky-legacy-std-dbgsym - Debug symbols for conky-legacy-std

and more specifically
                                conky-legacy - highly configurable system monitor (transitional package)
                                is what the lean, standard antiX uses.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I see conky-legacy-std – highly configurable system monitor (default version) installed on my antiX 23 runit system, so I am using legacy vs something else here…

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.