Proposal: antiX’s Conky Manager

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Proposal: antiX’s Conky Manager

• This topic has 72 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated Apr 1-11:53 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

OK, I DID try out each and every option, including the Conky positioning tool,
      restoring, saving, backing up, going back to the classic one and returning
      to the one that I modified and saved. It ALL works, so it passes 100% of the tests
      for me too.

--
      Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Me also. No problems here.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

Okay @PPC, with Rok and me testing you KNOW this thing has been checked out!
          Assuming others are okay with it, if this is chosen to be added to the goodies
          or the default configuration, my belief is that it will work fine and it’ll be useful.

--
          Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Hello PPC.

I was able to test the “antiX_conky_manager.zip” program from the 17-03-2024 version and each of the button options. All options worked successfully, including the translated “.conkyrc” file (with space and some special characters: ~, ç, `, ‘), both to restore the default model and to restore the model that was in use before of the most recent modification, the modern model, colors, positions on the screen, etc.

Thank you very much for this excellent program.

Can we now create the texts from the “.desktop” files?

– – – – –

Olá, PPC.

Eu consegui testar o programa “antiX_conky_manager.zip” da versão do dia 17-03-2024 e cada uma das opções dos botões. Todas as opções funcionaram com sucesso, inclusive o arquivo “.conkyrc” traduzido (com espaço e com alguns caracteres especiais: ~, ç, `, ‘), tanto para restaurar o modelo padrão, quanto para restaurar o modelo que estava em uso antes da modificação mais recente, o modelo modernos, cores, posições na tela, etc.

Muito obrigado por mais este excelente programa.

Nós já podemos criar os textos do arquivos “.desktop”?

Name[pt_BR]=Gerenciador do Monitor do Sistema Conky
            GenericName[pt_BR]=Editor e Personalizador do Conky
            Comment[pt_BR]=O ‘antiX Conky Manager’ permite desativar permanentemente o monitor do sistema Conky da área de trabalho, além de possibilitar alterar a posição na tela, alterar a cor, recarregar a exibição do Conky na tela, editar manualmente o arquivo de configurações ‘.conkyrc’, alterar para um tema moderno, selecionar e colocar em uso um arquivo de configurações ‘.conkyrc’ personalizado e/ou traduzido, alternar entre o arquivo de configurações original ou restaurar o arquivo que estava em uso antes da modificação mais recente, etc.

Brian Masinick

Marcelo, you may do as you wish, but it may be prudent to give this a bit more time in order
              to find out if any names, such as the tool name, version, etc. get any additional changes
              and whether or not this work is integrated into any of our tools or packages, for instance
              the “goodies” set of packages.

Otherwise, if you want you may create texts, with the understanding that there may still be
              a few minor changes ahead; if that doesn’t bother you and you’re able to make slight
              modifications if necessary, I’d say go ahead and start your effort. I do think we’re well
              past the starting point; this stuff looks quite solid at this point in time.

The choice is yours.

--
              Brian Masinick

PPC

Can we now create the texts from the “.desktop” files?

Hum… I think that the “Comment” part is too short, Marcelo 🙂
                I think that the script is ready (it was almost ready, already, weeks ago). Now it’s up to anticapitalista, to decide if this GUI fits in his vision for antiX or not. Even if it does not, it’s a nice tool, and it’s available here in the forum. With a bit of effort the community can translate and package it, if needed.

My personal opinion is that it’s one of the very few GUIs that I think it’s still missing from antiX Control Centre, since there is no “easy way” for users that are not comfortable with the terminal or editing configuration files to perform even the slightest change to Conky. The script not only allows managing the default Conky but also allows to easily use a Conky version (that I simply called “Modern” in oposition to the “Original” default configuration) that looks more like what the average user expects “desktop applets” should look (without being a real “applet”).

P.

marcelocripe

At least in the description of the entry “Comment[pt_BR]=” I can try to describe in detail what the program does, what it is for and also inform the writing of the original name in English, etc. Without the text disturbing the program or a window, as this text will not be displayed in the program. The text will be available for anyone who wants to read it on AppSelect.

– – – – –

Ao menos na descrição da entrada “Comment[pt_BR]=” eu posso tentar descrever com detalhes o que o programa faz, para que serve e ainda informar a escrita do nome original em idioma Inglês, etc. Sem que o texto atrapalhe o programa ou uma janela, já que este texto não será exibido no programa. O texto estará disponível para quem quiser ler no AppSelect.

Brian Masinick

I think that Paulo is “teasing you” just a bit, Marcelo, because he knows your passion for providing explanation and complete descriptions for EVERYTHING.

As far as I am concerned, anything that actually helps users to be able to use and understand our software, I have no objections.

Both of you have been making significant improvements to our Full editions of antiX. Thank you for your service and your efforts!

--
                    Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

Well. Booted up Today. No modern Conky. I backed up the default yesterday and cycled through options. No problem then.

Went to Desktop to turn on or off conky in menu.
                      Still no conky.

Opended up conky manager. Hit the cycle conky button. Turned it off. Then turned it on again.
                      Now modern conky opens.

Just info.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

Booted up Today. No modern Conky.

That happened to me a couple of times, long time ago over the years, even before I started creating this script. For some reason the default conky would not appear and it failed to toggle on using the antiX menu entry. I think I had to pkill conky and then manually restart it (hum… that’s exactly what the “refresh conky” button does).
                        I’ve been using modern conky and some version of conky manager for a couple of months now, and I never had any problem, on 3 computers. If that happens again, please let me know. For now I assume that it was some random software problem, like what happened to me…

P.

Colonel Panic

Also, here is a screenshot of the “Modern Conky” users can switch to with the click of a button:

That’s excellent!

Brian Masinick

Booted up Today. No modern Conky.

That happened to me a couple of times, long time ago over the years, even before I started creating this script. For some reason the default conky would not appear and it failed to toggle on using the antiX menu entry. I think I had to pkill conky and then manually restart it (hum… that’s exactly what the “refresh conky” button does).
                            I’ve been using modern conky and some version of conky manager for a couple of months now, and I never had any problem, on 3 computers. If that happens again, please let me know. For now I assume that it was some random software problem, like what happened to me…

P.

I’ve not seen this issue personally but I don’t deny that it could happen. Chances are that it is a momentary issue. I just use the conky toggle in the Desktop menu.

Then again I have a recent vintage HP-14 laptop with a 6-core, dual processors, so that means 12 different CPU cores total in this AMD Ryzen 5 5500U unit with Radeon Graphics. Needless to say, though it’s hardly a “race horse” compared to the newest Intel Core i9 13th generation processors, it DEFINITELY can loaf along, regardless of what I throw at it because all I do is Web browse, forum browse, edit short scripts and check out various editing tools, stuff that can still work on a Lenovo laptop that’s over a decade old too.

Like I said, it’ll “coast” or run using fractions of the capacity easily.

--
                            Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

@anticapitalista, will we need to create a “.desktop” file for “antix_conky_manager”?
                              If the answer is yes, I or anyone else can help by publicizing the need for translations in the topic Several “.desktop” files to be translated or can be translated in this same program topic.
                              A native English speaker only needs to write the texts for the entries “Name=”, “GenericName=” and “Comment=” and the rest will be up to the work of volunteer translators.

– – – – –

@anticapitalista, será preciso criarmos um arquivo “.desktop” para o “antix_conky_manager”?
                              Se a resposta for sim, eu ou qualquer outra pessoa posso ajudar divulgando a necessidade das traduções no tópico Several “.desktop” files to be translated ou pode ser traduzido neste mesmo tópico do programa.
                              Só é preciso que um nativo do idioma Inglês escreva os textos das entradas “Name=”, “GenericName=” e “Comment=” e o restante ficará por conta do trabalho dos tradutores voluntários.

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.