Proposal for an antiX “Welcome Screen”

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Proposal for an antiX “Welcome Screen”

• This topic has 23 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun 29-3:47 pm by masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Welcome to antiX, this is one of the most powerful, low on resources Linux Operating System available.

1.- Installing software:
    1.1- Package Manager- Just click the “suitcase” icon available on the toolbar and select what you want to install. It’s just like a small, but powerful antiX “App store”- a terminal window does pop up, if it asks for confirmation, just press the enter key.
    1.2- Synaptic Package Manager: Menu- Applications- System-Synaptic

2.- Updating your system:
    1.1.- Automatic update Notifier: Just click the Update notifier on the bottom right of the toolbar, near the clock
    1.2.- antiX Updater: Menu- Antix – antiX updater

3.- Managing Network Connections:
    3.1. – Connman: Menu – Control Centre – Network tab – Connman

4.- Adding icons to the (tool)bar (If you are using the default Icewm antix desktop) :
    4.1- IceWM toolbar icon Manager: Menu – antiX – Icewm Toolbar Icon Manager

5.- Adding icons to the desktop:
    5.1- If you are using the Default antiX desktop (or any other managed by Rox): Menu- Run – type (without the quotes) “rox /usr/share/applications”, drag and drop the icons you want to have on your desktop. Double right click the icons to rename them (you can delete the extension)

6.- Changing desktop background:
    6.1- Menu – Control Centre – Desktop Tab – choose Desktop Image

7.- Turning the desktop’s resource monitor (Conky) on/ off:
    7.1- Menu – Conky on/off

8.- Automatically starting an application after booting:
    8.1- Menu – Run- add-start – “Add” tab – type the app you want to start at boot and press the “add” button

9.- Changing default applications (Browser/File Manager/Terminal/Media Players, etc):
    9.1- Menu – Control Centre – “Desktop” Tab – Default applications – click the field you want to change, choose the .desktop file for the new application you want to use and click the “OK” button.

10.- Using external drives, android devices, IOS devices:
    10.1- USB drives- they should automatically pop up on the default file manager when you connect them. To eject them, use the “Eject” icon on the toolbar, select the drive you want to eject and click the button.
    10.2- android devices- plug the device (phone or tablet) to your computer then Menu- antiX – Android Device USB Connect – your device’s contents should pop up on the default file manager. Repeat the process to eject the device and safely unplug it.
    10.3- IOS devices – you have to install “iDevice Mounter”, from the Package manager (and then run it from the menu)

P.

masinickmasinick

Thanks for sharing this excellent set of features and their usage and purpose.

Who can ask for more in such a nimble, effective system?

Thanks to anticapitalista and the many volunteers for this outstanding balance and quality of features and efficient functionality.

Brian Masinick

XecureXecure

I like PPC’s idea, and add my own twist of what the user might be expecting and what the cannot figure out when first launching. So many “not smart” people I see in youtube cannot figure out what the default user and passwords are, never launch Control Center, never launch App Select (and when they do they think it is to change default apps), etc.

Welcome screen:

Tab 0. Welcome
    antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install systemd-free linux live CD distribution based on Debian Stable for 32 bits and 64 bits compatible systems. antiX offers users the “antiX Magic” in an environment suitable for old and new computers. So don’t throw away that old computer yet!
    For the Live system, the default passwords on live media are:
    User: demo, password: demo
    admin: root, password: root
    To configure most things in your system, launch the antiX Control Centre (click launches control centre)
    To easily search for installed apps, use App Select (click launches appselect)

Tab 1. Pre-installation
    Option to launch installer from here.
    Short Phrases about:
    Information about launching installer, what languages are fully translated, with link to translation website.
    Explain about manual partitions use full disk, selecting to keep /home folder, etc.
    Explain what GRUB is and what option you must choose at the end of the installer.
    Explain time settings.
    Explaining that you can test the system out, configure it as you want before installation, that everything will be saved on your new system, including customization, if the correct option is selected.

Tab 2. Live
    Live stuff. About Creating Live USB, how different persistence options work, what is frugal, requirements, remastering and kernel update. Launchers to different tools related to Live environment.

Tab 3. Installing programs and managing Updates.
    Add PPC information about using antiX Package Installer, Synaptic, Updating your system and REPO management.

Tab 4. Desktop
    Explaining the four different Window Managers, desktop icon managers, File Managers and how to change between them easily. Add PPC’s info about managing Desktop Icons, IceWM toolbar icons, conky, change Wallpaper, change resolution, etc.

Tab 5. Default Applications
    Launcher for Prefered Applications.
    Explain about how default applications for different file types are set depending on File Manager.
    Explain about Adding programs to startup.
    Launch startup adding application

Tab 6. External drives
    PPC’s says it all.

Tab 7. Network Troubleshoot.
    Explain steps to figure out how to get Wifi working using connman. Explain incompatibility between Connman and Ceni. If one wants to use ceni, explain connman needs to go.
    Launch Connman
    Launch ceni.
    Launch small script to uninstall Connman, that also sets correct /resolv.conf for people who cannot get connman to work properly.

Tab 8. Help
    Launchers for Help program.
    Explain that Help is also available in FAQ (add link).
    Link to forum.
    Thanks for your donation.

I think this could be done with the notebook GTK option. I would have to study the Control Centre script to learn how this works.

syboksybok

Not quite sure how much effort and disc-space is required to produce such a welcome screen.

Perhaps a PDF “README/INTRODUCTION” placed on the desktop (with only a few images) describing
    1) the points you have mentioned
    2) with path in the (default) menu instead of “click opens it”, this could also be without images “Menu A -> Submenu B -> …”
    3) including links to
    3.A) main site
    3.B) forum
    3.C) youtube channel/videos describing/reviewing antiX
    would do as well.

Advantage of the PDF is that it could simply mirror (or be directly generated from [selected topics in]) e.g. the antiX FAQ.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by sybok. Reason: Re-structure (space indentation was not preserved once posted)

I think I agree with sybok, because if you use the same file/text as the FAQ itself, and generate the Welcome screen from it, then you won’t need to translate it separately.

Also, there should be a checkbox so it doesn’t automatically pop up anymore after the user is tired of seeing it.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

You do know that almost everybody (including ‘reviewers’) REFUSE to read any documentation, instructions etc.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Hi!
    Just for kicks, I created a small yad script that’s a simple example of how an interactive Welcome Screen could work. It’s raw, but fully functional.
    It takes only less than 2kb…

Over at:

https://pastebin.com/4wRZzXuv

(you can copy the script code directly to the terminal, it should work)

I wonder if we should ask if anticapitalista is interested before we throw any more effort into this…

P.

masinickmasinick

You do know that almost everybody (including ‘reviewers’) REFUSE to read any documentation, instructions etc.

You’re right anticapitalista.

Anyone who claims to want something can read this thread and if we haven’t already done so, we can also explicitly mention what already exists.

Why exert any more energy if it isn’t going to be looked at anyway.

Good ideas here nevertheless. 👍😁

Brian Masinick

I’m guilty there too. Every once in a while I read if I have to… I think Manjaro has a screen like this…

On my own system, if internet isn’t connected when X comes up, I run the Connman program, because that’s what I would need to do anyway.

@Masinick – I sigh and bow down. You are both right. The welcome screen could hit users right in the eyes, and the most stubborn ones would not take notice of anything that’s there.
    Fortunately, antiX is now so “user friendly” that even the thickest user has most of what is needed right in the screen, after booting: a file manager, a browser, a “app store”, a system updater… Everything else can be achieved exploring the menu, the Control Centre, the FAQ’s, the forum…

SMALL RANT:
    Despite all I stated above, today I saw a post of a user that could not connect a wi-fi network. It seemed, by the response that solved that particular problem, that all that was needed was to use Connman to toggle Wi-fi on and configure the right wi-fi network… Same thing about users asking how to add icons to the toolbar… or set a different system browser, etc, etc.

About 3 years ago I was a newbie at antiX and I still remember how it felt- I passed by Package Manager many times, on the CC and did not know what it did- after all I was used to Synaptic, why did I have a different app for installing stuff?
    I spent a lot of time not even noticing my system did not update automatically- even after reading the how-to update and upgrade from the CLI!…

At least, now antiX does have GUI scripts for almost every single task a “normal” user can want to do, without ever needing to see more of the command line other than seeing it pop up and having to press enter to accept to install files using the “Package Manager” or updating the system via “antiX updater”.
    This is my drive to try to produce GUI scripts for all the common things I want to do: if I have to use the terminal or manually edit a config file, then I assume non techies won’t know how to do it (and I’m not a computer guy), and all it takes to produce a GUI for that is a script that’s only a few Kbs in size.
    When I “discovered” antiX I knew of no (non CLI or config file editing) way to do the following:
    – update the system (sure, I could use synaptic, but it was not meant to just update the system with a single click), set the time or date, add or remove icons to the toolbar, connect to an android device, access recent files, see a calendar, automate system updates, etc.
    So I got involved into helping with some of that.
    When my brother came over, some days ago, and saw me tinkering with my latest script I told him I was working on a way to get my android phone to be accessible from my desktop computer, he asked, why don’t you just use Xubuntu. I just stared and said “because this is MY system”,
    Rant done… Sorry for the long post

P.

masinickmasinick

@PPC: You have a LOT of really good ideas and scripts. I used to write a lot of scripts myself, so when you started sharing them I immediately took interest. I have at least a half dozen or more of them copied.

(I’m going to check in a few minutes to make sure that I grabbed your most recent pastebin script because I want to add it to my script collection on my antiX system. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your scripts. I enjoy using them!)

Brian Masinick

masinickmasinick

@PPC: I just copied and tried out antiX Welcome Screen- v0 and I like it; thanks a lot for your efforts and your willingness to share with us.
    I’ve used several of the yad-based scripts. I probably use the apt scripts the most.
    I also like scripts that update the application menu and the list of desktop choices.
    If you happen to experiment in any of these areas I’d be glad to try out any scripts that I may have missed.

Brian Masinick

XecureXecure

I was thinking about a bit more text to explain things to the user, but I have to admit that PPC’s script has all the important things on the screen easily accessible.

When the post first came up, I was thinking of a Welcome screen as we can see in some other linux OS, like MXLinux. I started building my own concept, but if anticapitalista is not interested and sees it unnecessary, I will not push it forward and maybe continue working on it for myself another time.

This is what I was thinking in (pre-alpha):
    https://pastebin.com/8LZ9Lswu

masinickmasinick

I was thinking about a bit more text to explain things to the user, but I have to admit that PPC’s script has all the important things on the screen easily accessible.

When the post first came up, I was thinking of a Welcome screen as we can see in some other linux OS, like MXLinux. I started building my own concept, but if anticapitalista is not interested and sees it unnecessary, I will not push it forward and maybe continue working on it for myself another time.

This is what I was thinking in (pre-alpha):
    https://pastebin.com/8LZ9Lswu

I like this, and I also like the efforts that PPC is putting forth.
    As far as what I’ve done, I have been downloading and trying out these tools.

As also mentioned, some of us are always working hard to make things easier, more documentation along with the addition of some great tools that include documentation and point directly to more of the excellent tools – the existing ones and the scripts that have been developed by true enthusiasts. I understand the “other side” too, the reality that people, even well-intentioned people, spend little, if any, time reviewing, reading, and using the tools that have been created.

My current thoughts? By all means, continue to create tools and think about ideas. Not everything will become a part of this distribution, but for those who have the interest, the tools can be used, and the possibility exists that some great idea will actually result in alternative works, maybe distributions that are script-driven, or maybe someone will ultimately think of new ideas. So don’t get discouraged. Work with and work on what you enjoy, even if it’s a project for one or two people. I’ve built my own stuff before, mostly for self consumption. Who knows what the future holds? Joe Anonymous may create the next wonder next week, so keep the faith!

Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

Has anyone checked ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.