Proposal for an antiX “Welcome Screen”

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Proposal for an antiX “Welcome Screen”

• This topic has 23 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jun 29-3:47 pm by masinick.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    XecureXecure

Has anyone checked ~/.desktop-session/desktop-session.conf?

It is great news that it has already been thought of. The startup dialog entry will be very usefull if we ever add a welcome script, and very easy to dissable by commenting that line out.
    I checked the python script referenced in desktop-session.conf. After replacing the icons, and launching it, I feel it still isn’t ideal for a welcome screen. It lets you open the FAQ in a browser, but as anticapitalista says, most people don’t like reading. The FAQ is ideal for people who want to learn how everything works in more detail, but a simplified text would be good for people learning how to start and do elementary stuff (too much is overwhelming). Once they see things working well, feel less lost and want to start doing more advanced stuff, they will check the FAQ that would be linked in the welcome screen.

@Dave: I didn’t check that. It’s hard to stop such a thing, unless you know it’s already there… It’s similar to when, trying to address some users complaints about the fact that “antiX did not update”, I began to work on that and found out that the option to automatically check for updates was already in an antiX script, but not used…

Automatically starting, by default antiX’s FAQs in a browser would be ideal to help clueless newbies ( and maybe a new boot Fx option to disable that, or a similar system (like a tick box, at first boot) for users that just want to use antiX live USB like it’s a “installed” system- I did that often)
    antiX’s FAQ’s are great, they are very carefully done, and have almost all the info a newbie needs to know, but it has several small problems:
    – They are fully “searchable”- they are only webpages, the user can only search text on the current page. That can be solved teo ways: merge the webpages into a single giant one or create a PDF file, merging all the webpages and get a MX linux style manual- not a bad idea- easy to search, not too resource demanding and easily updatable)
    – Not being fully searchable, a user that just wants to fins some basic info, like “How do I set up my HP printer?” “How do way put icons on the desktop?”, has to read trough several topics until the need information is found. The only way to solve that is reworking the index on the left side of the FAQ’s webpage, so ti would be understnadable for a new user- a tedious and complex work.

Personal note: I found out a lot about antiX using the FAQ’s when I began using this OS but I had a problem- I have bad memory and I always had to cycle trough the FAQ’s because the order of the info did not make sense to me. A new user does not know what IceWM is, and should not need to know unless he/she wants to. How many users know what Windows 10 desktop is called? It’s not a “need to know info”, to use the computer. What a user needs to know is how to do stuff in the desktop.
    Example1: instead of the FAQ’s index listing “IceWM, Fluxbox and JWM” it would make sense to have a clicable first level “Your Desktop” and then “IceWM – the default desktop, Fluxbox and JWM”.
    Example2: we could go at it the other way around – it makes more sense to me, but it’s a lot more work: the FAQ’s index could list the activities (“Adding a printer”, etc, and then be divided by each of the available desktops – once again, starting by the default IceWM)

– They are not translated? I can help with that, in portuguese
    – Some entries could be a bit updated (once again, I can help with that)

P.

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

After replacing the icons, and launching it, I feel it still isn’t ideal for a welcome screen.

Was not really meant to be one. More of an example and something that could be expanded upon. There was not much love for the idea in the past.
    You should also be able to enable / disable with the option prior like
    STARTUP_DIALOG=”false” / STARTUP_DIALOG=”true”
    But that may be broken now.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

XecureXecure

I have spent a few weeks working on this. I was starting to get burnt out, so I think I will finish it here. It has a lot of grammar and orthographic problems, and the formatting of the script is also bad, but this is not important now.
    It is a lot of text, so I doubt it can go in to any antiX release (as translating would be a nightmare).

For me, as a personal project, it has helped me a lot. My scripting knowledge has increased quite a bit, so even if it is a bad project, it has benefited me.

If you are interested, and you have the time, I would appreciate some of your feedback.

Thanks in advance for your time.

masinickmasinick

I have spent a few weeks working on this. I was starting to get burnt out, so I think I will finish it here. It has a lot of grammar and orthographic problems, and the formatting of the script is also bad, but this is not important now.
    It is a lot of text, so I doubt it can go in to any antiX release (as translating would be a nightmare).

For me, as a personal project, it has helped me a lot. My scripting knowledge has increased quite a bit, so even if it is a bad project, it has benefited me.

If you are interested, and you have the time, I would appreciate some of your feedback.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Whether this tool becomes a part of the distribution or not, I heartily congratulate you on a very nice job and also a very nice concept. Even if this isn’t chosen for antiX in the “lean and mean” configuration, it’s here, and it might be worthwhile pinning this topic and the tool somewhere, so that interested parties can use it. I’m not sure about MX Linux, but this kind of tool (adapted to their specifics in the distribution) might be a near perfect tool to add.

Debian is quite a bit different, even though MX and antiX both have a lot of software that was developed for Debian systems. Nevertheless, this would be an excellent tool to adapt to that environment as well.

No matter what becomes of it, I’d say you have learned a LOT about antiX in putting this together, you have spent a lot of time on it, and I send my deep thanks for it; personally I put the script in my ~/bin folder, where I can keep it and save my home directory, therefore maintaining this across releases. (Gotta get a few good backups somewhere, just in case of disk failures; remember to back up and restore your systems friends)! 🙂

Again, thumbs up, positive affirmations, and thank you!

Brian Masinick

wow, Xecure, light years ahead of my initial proposal! I’ve bee looking for a way to automaticaly mount video DVDs and I found it in your script (even after using antiX for about 3 years). Probably anticapitalista won’t use it in the default full antiX, but it will fit like a glove in the new full DE antiX version that seems to be in the works!

P.

capreacaprea

Wow, that’s really a cool, fine piece of work.
    If you ask me, it would look good in the full version.

XecureXecure

Thank you all for the feedback. I wanted to add more things there, as PPC mentioned in his other posts about adding things to the menu, creating .desktops files, etc. but the Desktop section was getting too long, so they weren’t added. I just checked and I am not getting the desired results for some buttons on the Network section, that was the last I was testing (I was a bit tired at this point, so I just speed ran and didn’t properly test).

No matter what becomes of it, I’d say you have learned a LOT about antiX in putting this together,

That is for sure, masinick. I think I even found a solution to a bug in the repo-manager (I reported it on the gitlab page to be tested and included in future updates if it works).
    antiX has much more than can be found in the FAQ, that is for sure. Full of hidden gems. Lots of things in the antix-goodies package.
    Thank you for your kind words.

wow, Xecure, light years ahead of my initial proposal! I’ve bee looking for a way to automaticaly mount video DVDs and I found it in your script

Thanks, PPC. I have to thank you too, as a lot of things I wrote are based on your miniguides in the forum. I would really like if we could build a wiki (for example hosted in a site like wikidot or some other) where they wont be lost (or covered by new forum posts).
    And yes, automount-antix is great for controlling automount behavior!

Wow, that’s really a cool, fine piece of work.

Thank you, caprea. I also want to thank you for all the solutions you give in the forum. When I encounter a difficult problem, I always search and explore past answers in the forum. Many times your answers have lead me to a resolution. Thank you.

It was a very profiting exercise. I read a some of the many scripts, including the control center one, and learnt a lot from them.

Many thanks to the dev team and to all of you that contribute your knowledge and expertise in this forum. Most of what I know about linux an antiX I learnt from you.

masinickmasinick

@Xecure: Written like the articulate gentleman that you appear to be, giving credit to others, having a thankful attitude, and leveraging the work of everyone in the community. This work is a great example of what a community can be, and as far as software communities, I’ve never found a more helpful one than this one right here!

Great job to all who participate; collective congratulations to all!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.