Proposal for antiX 21

Forum Forums antiX-development Translations Proposal for antiX 21

• This topic has 51 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Oct 11-11:06 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

I understand that some people are multi-lingual and want to have several languages ​​available, and it’s a GOOD THING to have them available, but it would be nice to have an easy-to-use tool available, either at installation time or a post installation configuration tool to quickly select the locales to KEEP, and remove the others.

Mr Brian I really liked his idea. For example, if I need to save disk space I would keep only the folders that have the languages ​​en, en_US, en_GB, en_UK, pt, pt_PT and pt_BR, I don’t know if it’s necessary to keep the folders that have en@??? ?. According to the estimate in antiX 19.2 full 64 bits that is all destroyed from so much testing, it would be about 357 MB less than the file in the /usr/share/locale folder. But, as the user may regret it for some reason in the future, it would be important to have a way to return everything in its proper place.
    As a matter of fact, it can be a hassle for English speakers to receive translations they don’t need or don’t want. It really isn’t easy to please everyone.

It is not easy to recruit new translators.

Wallon, I believe that all users need to know that they can help, especially those who do not read the texts contained in the “gazelle-installer” antiX installation process, especially the excerpts:

Support %1
    %1 is supported by people like you. Some help others at the support forum – %2, or translate help files into different languages, or make suggestions, write documentation, or help test new software.

Special ThanksThanks to everyone who has chosen to support %1 with their time, money, suggestions, work, praise, ideas, promotion, and/or encouragement. Without you there would be on the %1.%2 Dev Team.

It only became clear to me that I did not need a “formal invitation” or to be “invited to participate” when I read and reread the machine translation of these above texts several times. So I kept trying to find ways to help in some way, as I don’t have the financial means to donate or make money donations. If I donate R$ 1.00 (one real) to the project today, it is equivalent to exactly U$ 0.19 (nineteen cents) with the quotation of U$ 1.00 on the 19th -09-2021 of an incredible R$ 5.29, or equivalent to exactly E$ 0.16 (sixteen euro cents) with the quotation of E$ 1.00 on the 19-09-2021 of an incredible R$ 6, 20. I wonder what you can buy with U$ 0.19 or E$ 0.16, with R$ 1.00 you can buy a beaded lettuce (lactuca sativa) on the day of the promotion (I couldn’t find the English Wikipedia page). Back to the main topic…

When I want to introduce antiX to my colleagues or friends or family, I am always asked the question “Do you make a lot of money? I say no, I do it for free. People say that I am wasting my time and that it is useless.

Wallon, are you sure you didn’t hear this in Portuguese? (lots of laughter) I’ve heard this many times, but whenever I hear it, I burst out laughing with a long laugh, as this is not the person I donate my time to and to antiX, I donate my time to the users: @boy, @felipecardope, @Matheus, @marcelocripe (for myself) and for all the other people who use antiX and who suffer to use a program that is all in English language or even worse that they can’t use one program for being in English language or poorly translated to pt-BR and incomprehensible.

@boy’s quote fills me with energy and proves that we are on the right path to make antiX understandable in every corner of planet Earth:

boy wrote:
    … , I’ve been noticing that more and more translations are coming from the menus and application programs that Marcelo comments on and asks for our opinions. Due to the texts being more and more in my language, I am learning antiX much easier and in a comfortable way learning antiX.

Users of the Telegram group “MX Linux & antiX Brasil” are also grateful.

Linux is a spirit of sharing and freedom that is often rejected by our society. In my example, at the office, the big boss asked me not to talk about Linux any more, even with the IT people who work with subcontractors for the maintenance of our servers and computers.

I also see this kind of prejudice.

Most people who live near me wouldn’t even know what I was talking about if I mentioned Linux or antiX; my wife calls it “watching codes” on the screen!

I laughed a lot… I imagine that every time your wife looks at your screen the terminal is open.
    Wallon and mr. Brian, I think I’ve already written in some other thread that I’ve heard the following sentence about antiX installed, configured and with some PPC customizations and mine, “Which Windows is this?”, this sentence in quotes the person referred to to antiX, at that time the PPC FT10 did not exist.

This is not implemented yet, I’d like to see the two clickable links, so they will open in browser but didn’t manage to bewitch yad to be obedient. When using other options of yad text appears within a cruel white edit box only instead, and the links are not clickable still. Anybody around who has an idea how to fix this while keeping a halfway appealing design?

Another suggestion, a button that when clicking copies the text from the GUI allowing the user to paste into the automatic translator.
    PPC has already used this feature in the “Control Panel for antiX”, I’ll send you the script.

I support this proposal, this looks really useful. But it addresses another subject. This script here is meant for people not using antiX in English language by default, selecting “their” language from F2 live boot menu and then bump on an English antiX desktop anyway. They feel like duped if no explanation is given for this. And if we inform them about the problem, we can as well give them some advice how they can remedy this circumstance, so it will get fixed the sooner.

I really hope the anti-capitalist will look closely at this proposal and consider using it at ISO, it’s important for people to know that if they want they can participate and help antiX and consequently help other people.

Once used to Microsoft products people cultivate their addiction to this OS and will never accept any alternatives. But this is another thread…

It’s what I call the “jail” of Windows. I read the entire article, at the beginning of the text I was happy with what I read, but at the end of the text, unfortunately, the backtracking occurred. At the very least, the public administration had to throw away all the old computers in order to go back to using the new “prison” operating system.

The screenshots show the Brasilian English language user interface and what you see after clicking on »More information«, also in pt_BR here.

So you’ve managed to find a use for that proposed text to “invite” or “call” new translators to join the translator team.

Never forget that the English language texts I didn’t write are the automatic translations of the internet translators.

marcelocripe

– – – – –

I understand that some people are multi-lingual and want to have several languages available, and it’s a GOOD THING to have them available, but it would be nice to have an easy-to-use tool available, either at installation time or a post installation configuration tool to quickly select the locales to KEEP, and remove the others.

Senhor Brian eu gostei muito da sua ideia. Por exemplo, se que precisar economizar espaço em disco eu iria manter apenas as pastas que possuem os idiomas en, en_US, en_GB, en_UK, pt, pt_PT e pt_BR, eu não sei se é preciso manter as pastas que possui en@????. Segundo a estimativa no antiX 19.2 full 64 bits que está todo destruído de tanto eu fazer testes, seriam cerca de 357 MB a menos de arquivo da pasta /usr/share/locale. Mas, como o usuário pode vir a se a arrepender por algum motivo no futuro, seria importante ter um meio de devolver tudo no seu devido lugar.
    A bem da verdade é, que para os falantes da língua Inglesa pode ser um incomodo receber traduções das quais não precisam ou não querem. Realmente não é fácil agradar a todas as pessoas.

It is not easy to recruit new translators.

Wallon, eu acredito que todos os usuários precisam saber que podem ajudar, principalmente aqueles que não leem os textos contidos no processo de instalação do antiX do “gazelle-installer”, em especial os trechos:

Support %1
    %1 is supported by people like you. Some help others at the support forum – %2, or translate help files into different languages, or make suggestions, write documentation, or help test new software.

Special ThanksThanks to everyone who has chosen to support %1 with their time, money, suggestions, work, praise, ideas, promotion, and/or encouragement. Without you there would be no %1.%2 Dev Team.

Só ficou claro para mim que eu não precisava de um “convite formal” ou de ser “convidado a participar” quando eu li e reli várias vezes a tradução automática destes textos acima. Então eu fiquei tentando encontrar meios de ajudar de alguma maneira, já que eu não tenho condições financeiras de doar ou de fazer donativos em dinheiro. Se eu fizer a doação de R$ 1,00 (um real) para o projeto no dia de hoje, equivalem a exatos U$ 0,19 (dezenove centavos de dólar) com a cotação de U$ 1,00 dólar no dia 19-09-2021 de incríveis R$ 5,29, ou equivalem a exatos E$ 0,16 (dezesseis centavos de euro) com a cotação de E$ 1,00 dólar no dia 19-09-2021 de incríveis R$ 6,20. Eu fico imaginado o que é possível comprar com U$ 0,19 ou E$ 0,16, com R$ 1,00 é possível comprar um alface frisada (lactuca sativa) no dia da promoção (eu não consegui encontrar a página do Wikipédia em Inglês). De volta ao assunto principal …

When I want to introduce antiX to my colleagues or friends or family, I am always asked the question “Do you make a lot of money? I say no, I do it for free. People say that I am wasting my time and that it is useless.

Wallon, você tem certeza que não ouviu isso em Português? (muitos risos) Eu já ouvi isso muitas vezes, mas sempre que eu ouço isso, eu caio no riso com uma longa gargalhada, pois não é para esta pessoa que eu doo o meu tempo e para o antiX, eu doo o meu tempo para os usuários: @boy, @felipecardope, @Matheus, @marcelocripe (para eu mesmo) e para todos as outras pessoas que utilizam o antiX e que sofrem para utilizar um programa que está todo em idioma Inglês ou ainda pior que não conseguem utilizar um programa por estar em idioma Inglês ou mal traduzido para pt-BR e incompreensível.

A frase do @boy me enche de energias e comprovam que estamos no caminho certo para tornar o antiX compreensível em cada canto do planeta Terra:

boy escreveu:
    … , eu venho percebendo que cada vez mais estão vindo as traduções dos menus e dos programas aplicativos que tanto o marcelo comenta e pede as nossas opiniões. Devido aos textos estarem cada vez mais no meu idioma, estou o aprendendo o antiX muito mais fácil e de forma confortável o aprendizado no antiX.

Os usuários do grupo de Telegram “MX Linux & antiX Brasil” também agradecem.

Linux is a spirit of sharing and freedom that is often rejected by our society. In my example, at the office, the big boss asked me not to talk about Linux any more, even with the IT people who work as subcontractors for the maintenance of our servers and computers.

Eu também percebo este tipo de preconceito.

Most people who live near me wouldn’t even know what I was talking about if I mentioned Linux or antiX; my wife calls it “watching codes” on the screen!

Eu ri muito… Eu imagino que todas as vezes que a sua esposa olha para a sua tela o terminal esteja aberto.
    Wallon e sr. Brian, eu acho que já escrevi em algum outro tópico que eu já ouvi a seguinte frase sobre o antiX instalado, configurado e com algumas personalizações do PPC e as minhas, “que Windows é esse?”, esta frase entre aspas a pessoa se referiu ao antiX, na época não existia o FT10 do PPC.

This is not implemented yet, I’d like to see the two links clickable, so they will open in browser but didn’t manage to bewitch yad to be obedient. When using other options of yad text appears within a cruel white edit box only instead, and the links are not clickable still. Anybody around who has an idea how to fix this while keeping an halfway appealing design?

Uma outra sugestão, um botão que ao clicar copie o texto da GUI permitindo ao usuário colar no tradutor automático.
    O PPC já utilizou este recurso no “Painel de Controle para o antiX”, eu vou te enviar o script.

I support this proposal, this looks really useful. But it addresses another subject. This script here is meant for people not using antiX in English language by default, selecting “their” language from F2 live boot menu and then bump on an English antiX desktop anyway. They feel like duped if no explanation is given for this. And if we inform them about the problem, we can as well give them some advice how they can remedy this circumstance, so it will get fixed the sooner.

Eu espero realmente que o anticapitalista olhe com atenção para esta proposta e considere utilizar na ISO, é importante as pessoas saberem que se quiserem podem participar e ajudar o antiX e consequentemente ajudam outras pessoas.

Once used to Microsoft products people cultivate their addiction to this OS and will never accept any alternatives. But this is another thread…

É o que eu chamo da “prisão” do Windows. Eu li toda a matéria, no começo do texto eu fiquei contente com o que eu li, mas no final do texto, infelizmente ocorreu o retrocesso. No mínimo a administração pública teve jogar no lixo todos os computadores antigos para voltar a utilizar o novo sistema operacional “prisional”.

The screenshots show the Brasilian Portuguese language user interface and what you see after clicking on »More information«, also in pt_BR here.

Então você conseguiu encontrar uma utilidade para aquele texto de proposta de “convidar” ou “chamar” novos tradutores a participarem da equipe de tradutores.

Nunca se esqueçam que os textos em idioma Inglês eu não os escrevi, são as traduções automáticas dos tradutores da internet.

marcelocripe

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

I’d like to see the two links clickable, so they will open in browser but didn’t manage to bewitch yad to be obedient. When using other options of yad text appears within a cruel white edit box only instead, and the links are not clickable still. Anybody around who has an idea how to fix this while keeping an halfway appealing design?

Unfortunately, you cannot add links inside the text, but if you use the “form” method in yad, you can create buttons to get that functionality:

yad --center --undecorated --borders=10 \
            --window-icon="$tray_icon" \
            --title=$"Language information" --form \
            --field="<span foreground='red'><big><big><big><b>"$"Do you see English only?""</b></big></big></big></span>":LBL '' \
            --field=$"antiX is not translated to your favourite language yet?""\n"$"Are you facing untranslated parts?""\n":LBL '' \
            --field="\t"$"This can be helped.""\n":LBL '' \
            --field=$"In case you understand apart from your native tongue""\n"$"a bit of English also, you can contribute a bit, so you can""\n<u>"$"experience antiX in your own tongue soon.""</u>\n":LBL '' \
            --field="<b>"$"Join antiX translation team of volunteers,""</b>\n"$"you are always welcome to take part in the translations.""\n"$"It is not difficult, and you can do as much or little as you like.""\n":LBL '' \
            --field=$"Help translate antiX and MX Linux":BTN 'xdg-open https://www.transifex.com/anticapitalista' \
            --field=$"Help translate antiX community scripts":BTN 'xdg-open https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-community-contributions/antix-contribs/' \
            --field=" ":LBL '' \
            --button=$"More Information":3 --button=$"Don't show again":5 \
            --button=$"Close":7

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks, @Xecure, your yad code looks great when launching. Mostly no visible difference to the simple text version I had used. I’ve had found this way with »invisible« yad buttons also meanwhile, but as you said already, the main problem was to make the text selectable. So I replaced yad by gtkdialog meanwhile. It was a nightmare to set all the quotes and double quotes correctly to make it work, it is much more difficult than yad. Sometimes there were needed more than three pairs of different ones, and in sed command I had to replace them finally by the special code sed accepts for this, nothing else would work. Was an ordeal, sort of. Just like walking a tightrope.
    So here is the

Version update to ver 0.5

it’s on the gitlab already. Now internet links are clickable and text is selectable. I didn’t change much in the design, and the strings in the language files do work fine after the switch to gtkdialog still.

I tried to design the message a bit more graphically, without using bitmap images, just by arranging and accentuating some parts of the sentences. You can see it on the screenshot of the German version (in case it turns out it is needed). Also there is the English version of the advanced information file. The majuscules at the beginning of some of its paragraphs line up to »DIYS«, a play of words/letters here.

The Portuguese version of advanced Information text was written by Marcelo completely from scratch, it is not a translation of the English version. Both are to be understood as a proposal. We should discuss what has to be written into this advanced information.

And we should talk about which languages should get included into the blacklist. Without any doubt, en. Probably fr? And de is also fine. What about pt_PT ?

For all the other languages, which will see the message consequently, we have to decide whether we let them fall back to English or whether we translate the presented texts by means of machine translation online. For this purpose I’d better add it as a resource to transifex, which allows easier to handling of the files.

So long
    Robin

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

xdg-open https://www.transifex.com/antix-linux-communit. . .

We should discuss what has to be written into this advanced information.
    [..]
    add it as a resource to transifex

consider: At the time of reading, the user may not have an internet connection.

Wouldn’t it be preferable to xdg-open a local html page?
    Therein, you can freely style the page and/or embellish the page with locally-resident images.
    (Remember to test the layout rendering & specified font size to ensure it can be comfortably read on a 1024×768 (or we still strive to accommodate 800×600?) display.

As a later project, this (‘gtkdialog’ >> xdg-open) mechanism could be repurposed to serve as a help menu leading to localized helpdocs for each of the pre-installed programs. (The installed helpdocs exist in various formats, some are html, others are pdf, some programs provide manpage(s) only). Puppylinux does an excellent job of presenting a page containing links to application-specific helpdocs, along with a description of each. This is extremely helpful if the desktop menu lacks tooltips or extended localized descriptions for each menu item. ( “What the heck is a ‘connman’ or a ‘urxvt terminal’?)

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

consider: At the time of reading, the user may not have an internet connection.

Good point. I’ll probably add a connection check, and inform user if he is not connected, before browser opens in vain. But don’t misread me, the advanced information will be placed as a pdf already offline (or whatever other format we prefer in the end), at least in english language, and it opens itself when clicking the button advanced information. Whereas the upload on transifex is meant in order to translate all this to as many languages possible, so these info files do have to be small of size. Hence the info therein can’t be that advanced.

Wouldn’t it be preferable to xdg-open a local html page?

Maybe as a fallback. But I feel that in the fist place the reader should have a shortcut to the place where things actually happen, and this is not another local informational site on his pc, this is transifex. For sure, we will have to supply some more detailed guidance later, how all this works in detail. (just had tried to make an animated gif from desktop screen of some details in transifex online translation editor you wouldn’t expect at first glance. Failed due to some incompatibilities of export and import formats in gimp-gap, not able to import mp4 files in the version present in our repos, and transcoding errors on simplescreenrecorder, but I’ll open another thread for this when time comes).

to serve as a help menu leading to localized helpdocs for each of the pre-installed programs.

Sounds really good. This would be great to have, not to say a ‘must have’. Let’s see what we can stem in the future.

——————
    Addendum: Files for the script itself are on transifex now section antiX community contributions. Once we will have decided about the text for the advanced information it will also go there for easier access while translating.

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Version update to ver 0.6

New in this Version:
    – Accelerated script abort for blacklisted languages (check as early as possible)
    – Check for internet connection before trying to open a site in browser. User has now a choice whether to establish a connection beforehand and procede, view local resources, or abort.
    – Improved configurable settings, allowing some more adjustments.

And consequently there are some more new strings for this resource on transifex waiting for translation now again.

Attached a screenshot, this time taken from the Russian language version, showing the new »missing internet connection« dialog.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

I do appreciate every single effort to improve antiX… But have you stopped to think that, if anticapitalista does not approve of this, all the work that goes into this feature will be wasted? This is not some application, that users can install if they want some extra functionality (I’ve created some of those, and some were never integrated into antiX, but they can be installed, if users so wish)… This proposal is simililar to the welcome screen proposal that was discussed a while ago, here in the forum, that was refused by anticapitalista (Xecure had some nice ideas, that were not implemented)…
    This idea would only be good if it comes out of the box… So, I urge those that worked so hard on this, to take a rest, and wait to see if anticapitalista is really interested…

PS: At least in Portuguese, antiX is very close to 100% localized- the menu, zzzfm file manager, and most of the essential apps are already localized… How well is antiX localized in french, italian, etc?

P.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by PPC.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I do appreciate every single effort to improve antiX… But have you stopped to think that, if anticapitalista does not approve of this, all the work that goes into this feature will be wasted? This is not some application, that users can install if they want some extra functionality (I’ve created some of those, and some were never integrated into antiX, but they can be installed, if users so wish)… This proposal is similar to the welcome screen proposal that was discussed a while ago, here in the forum, that was refused by anticapitalista (Xecure had some nice ideas, that were not implemented)…
    This idea would only be good if it comes out of the box… So, I urge those that worked so hard on this, to take a rest, and wait to see if anticapitalista is really interested…

PS: At least in Portuguese, antiX is very close to 100% localized- the menu, zzzfm file manager, and most of the essential apps are already localized… How well is antiX localized in French, Italian, etc?

P.

I also appreciate comments, ideas, and suggestions, whether they are chosen and agreed upon or not. I have no personal objections to people sharing tools, but you are right; just because an idea or a tool is shared does not necessarily mean that it will be accepted or used in this (or any) distribution. The only way to 100% ensure that is to create a distribution and put whatever you want into it.

I don’t create entire distributions but I do often customize my own personal instances; they are PERSONAL; not something I care to contribute; I make contributions by exchanging ideas; most of that is in the past; now I enjoy what others create and share.

Free software does provide the freedom of choice to create, use, evaluate and support whatever initiatives are of interest; the creators have the most freedom to choose what to offer and what to share.

Brian Masinick

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello PPC,

I appreciate every single effort to improve antiX… But I stopped to think that, if anticapitalist does not approve of this, all the work that goes into this feature will be wasted?

You’re absolutely right. In fact, it would be important for the anti-capitalist to express interest or not in Robin’s proposal.

But, depending on the direction of the topic Translations in packages, it will be necessary to “Welcome Screen” containing at least instructions on how to connect to the internet and how to install the desired language translation package, then the “antix-translation-info” screen. Your “Control Panel” would also look great in this position, if antiX started to come with as few localizations (translations) in its ISO as possible, leaving it up to the user to install a translation package of all applications available in the ISO .

Robin, I completed the eight missing sentences in Transifex, the comments are great facilitators, thank you very much.

– – – – –

Olá PPC,

I do appreciate every single effort to improve antiX… But have you stopped to think that, if anticapitalista does not approve of this, all the work that goes into this feature will be wasted?

Você tem toda a razão. De fato, seria importante o anticapitalista manifestar o interesse ou não nesta proposta do Robin.

Mas, dependendo do rumos do tópico Translations in packages, será necessário a “Tela de Boas-vindas” contendo no mínimo as instruções de como conectar com a internet e como instalar o pacote de tradução do idioma desejado, em seguida a tela do “antix-translation-info”. O seu “Painel de Controle” também ficaria muito bem nesta posição, caso o antiX passasse a vir com o mínimo possível de localizações (traduções) em sua ISO, ficando a cargo do usuário instalar um pacote de tradução de todos os aplicativos disponíveis na ISO.

Robin, eu completei as oito frases que faltavam no Transifex, os comentários são excelentes facilitadores, muito obrigado.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

To be honest, I’m not too keen on this proposal, but I might be persuaded.
    There will be no Welcome Screen though.

I think that like a lot of documentation, the vast majority of users will just close it without reading any of it, some might skim read it.
    Others might get annoyed with the pop-up (me included).
    We have the FAQ/Help icon on the desktop. We could have the message in it.
    But, how many users bother to open it, let alone read it?
    What if we have a document on the desktop rather than a popup?
    The installer points out how users can help – helping with translations is mentioned.
    The default firefox browser opens to the antiX forum. We could have the message there.

Whatever way we chose, ultimately anyone who wants to help would have to get in contact with us either via the forum or via transifex. We would still have a problem of making sure the transifex translations get on the iso or in the packages we maintain. IMO this is our weakest link and one we have control of to try to make the process smoother.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

My personal opinion on documentation is that it’s OK to HAVE IT, but it’s senseless to put it anywhere that gets in the way of workflow, including login and configuration.

As far as I am concerned, simply having a consistent place for documentation that is out of the way but accessible is fine.

For my own needs I keep information that I refer to either on nearby paper or in a file or directory on a system that I regularly use; it’s information of value to me that would rarely be of interest to anyone else.

If we really want documentation, locate it on the main antiX Web site, alongside the well-done videos.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

> There will be no Welcome Screen though.

Okay, on the bright side… that greatly simplifes the delivery mechanism. It can be just an additional icon on the default desktop. To pique curiousity, show a mysterious glyph in the icon…

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

Xecure has implied a Button to switch the user interface to another language. This was out of focus here, but his idea inspired me to a button allowing to switch the display language of this information to whatever language user can understand. This is useful in case the language user has chosen was not translated yet, causing a fallback to English. Not amusing, when user doesn’t speak English but French or any other foreign language besides his mother tongue. If this happens, now he just needs to click the new »Select Language« button to find in the menu any language he can read. This is something a file on the desktop can’t provide.

We should not focus on ourselves when considering the usefulness of this script. Also me wouldn’t need that information sticker, as most people in European countries or North America will not need it. So we have a blacklist, and it will not show up in those languages. (Maybe this list should better get filled in per-country, not per language, so we could differentiate between English in the US or GB and e.g. English in Ghana.) There are people and countries where the handling of a PC is not that common even today, and the foreign language English is an additional stepstone. I think especially of countries in Africa and in the middle and far East, many of them have not English as an everyday used foreign language. Here we could do some good when informing people about the possibility of translating the things to their own language by themselves. Moreover in these countries not everybody has an internet connection available, but a burned CD/DVD with the ISO file on it and some old PC which could work fine on antiX, not on Windows. And if the knowledge spreads, that they can do it themselves, this will change things, make things happen. So it is enough when people read it, even when they skim read it only. This again is a question of perception: For us there is absolute no problem when bumping on an English desktop without any explanation. But remember this is not in all places on the world that way. And for these people I’ve crated the script. By the way: Does it hurt us to see it? One click, and it never shows up again, even if we’d once happened to see it at all accidentally.

To be clear: I am fine with any decision you, @anticapitalista, will take here. I have confidence in you, you will thoroughly balance the reasons.

Having said this, here comes the next version: Ver 0.7

What is new?
    – There is a new button to switch its language in runtime, so user can chose another language if he had suffered from a fallback to English, while he understands some other languages only.
    – The command line option –ignore-blacklist allows to start the script on machines with blacklisted language of user interface also.

Again, some new strings are present on transifex (sorry for the rapid update cycle, I didn’t know in the beginning to what project this tiny script would have led.) I believe this script is in a state of usability now, looks like it has all features it needs meanwhile.

Attached is a screenshot (English language this time) of the new language selection screen.

Robin

Wallon
    Helpful
    Up

Dear all,

Please stop talking about blacklisting. It is very offensive to the African people. We are being sued for less than that in the courts. We need to find another term.
    I don’t want to bother people with this but we have to be very careful with the words used on the internet.
    In Africa, the first language used is English. The second language is Arabic. The third language is French.
    All languages to put on the rainbow list…

Best regards,
    Wallon.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Instead of “blacklisting” can be used “list of exclusions”.

No lugar de “lista negra” pode ser utilizado “lista de exclusões”.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.