Proposal for replacement of fbxkb by gxkb

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo Proposal for replacement of fbxkb by gxkb

Do you want to replace fbxkb with gxkb in future versions of AntiX?

Gxkb does the same job as fbxkb, only with fewer (no?) graphical glitches.

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Yes.
  • #2 No.
  • #3 Maybe, but later.
  • This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jun 20-10:39 am by Lubo.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lubo

The title of the topic says it all.
      I have had graphical glitches (clashing color borders between keyboard icon and system tray) with fbxkb, and think gxkb does the same job, but with no glitches, and appears to be a superior alternative.
      So my question to other AntiX users is do you have any opinion on such a replacement in future versions of AntiX (currently using 23.1 Base runit)?
      And to the developers, any plans to make such a switch, or comment on why fbxkb is default?

Gxkb is a drop in replacement, even the user configuration files can be edited to run it at boot instead of fbxkb.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by Lubo. Reason: Corrected typo

Mr. Lubo Diakov
      email: zr90004@gmail.com

Robin

Gave it a try. On first glance no significant differences between the two. Had not seen graphic glitches with fbxkb until now, anyway.

But with gxkb there are distinct graphic glitches now: No space left between the flag and the next icons/symbols in status bar (IceWM), so it looks like glued together wrongly, while fbxkb keeps proper spacing. And then: On contrast to fbxkb the gxkb tool throws lots of Gtk-WARNING messages about parsing errors and deprecation and unusable features and junk at end of value when starting on console. I guess that is not precisely what I’d call a superior replacement…

$ gxkb -v
        gxkb version 0.9.3
        Features:
        AppIndicator support - Yes
        Icon cache - Yes

(Running on antiX 23.1 runit full 64 bit)

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Xunzi_23

Never had issues with or seen seen described graphic glitches with fbxkb and ICEWM or Flux
          No user has complained in years of usage. That is a lot of varying hardware and
          setups.

Users and present reference, running live, antix 23 full updated to latest packages
          Own system, daily usage sid again fully updated avoiding influx of sysd packages. .

Clashing color borders between keyboard icon and system tray may well be a theme or icon subject, for sure not the application itself.

No details of desktop mentioned, just base. I assume a user a setup issue.

My vote: no change.

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

Voted no. Want no changes on my chromebook install.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Lubo

To be clear, I have no particular preference for either fbxkb or gxkb other than “it works as intended, glitch free”.

Good to know fbxkb works for some/many/all? others.

I think having two possible packages for this purpose is useful for future reference, if nothing else.

Mr. Lubo Diakov
              email: zr90004@gmail.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.