Proposal: updating antiX’s off-line web pages/browser for Help/FAQ’s

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Proposal: updating antiX’s off-line web pages/browser for Help/FAQ’s

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jul 19-10:59 am by PPC.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PPC

As far as I know Dillo is only currently included in antiX just to enable folks that can’t use modern web browsers to view our help/faqs, that are in web page format.
      But Dillo never rendered correctly those webpages, wich can be confusing for everyone, and make our OS look not that polished (since those webpages are part of our OS and open, by default with a browser that does not render them correctly – firefox-esr, for example does render them correctly, seamonkey does too).

Our french users are making a great effort to implement translations to about everything that’s currently in English, and even more. They have a very nice looking and very simple to use website, over at http://assistance.info27.free.fr/
      It looks great and had has a “search” feature that works!
      It renders much better on Dillo, except for the antiX logo and the “Move back to the top” image, that are streched too wide). The antix logo is not that problematic, and maybe the image used to “Move back to the top” can be replaced with a glyph?

But better still – that webpage renders perfecly in antix-viewer. You can test this by running, from the terminal:
      antix-viewer http://assistance.info27.free.fr/

So- if the dev team likes the idea, I’m sure we can ask our french users to simply convert the text from our current off-line help pages to their format (and in the process we can modernize them, since some of the info is a bit outdated). The other possibility is that we look at their html code and adapt it ourselves (my htmls coding skills are next to zero, and our french friends do know what they are doing…).

If this pans out, we end up with a more modern help page (and if I may suggest, we can include the french help pages for off-line access, on our “full” iso- if you like this idea, I can try to localize all our off-line pages to pt, I’m sure Marcelo can do the same to pt-br, etc.)

Edit: and I just noticed that running:
      antix-viewer /usr/share/antiX/FAQ/index.html

…(unlike the last time I tried it) seems to render our FAQ’s perfectly (tested on antiX-23b2) – if this is in fact correct, at least in antiX-23, we can replace dillo with antix-viewer, for displaying the FAQ’s – no further work needed other than updating a bit the text).

Edi2: antix-viewer also renders the forum correctly and allow me log on to it. However is does not memorise the log-in credentials (extremely nice for security, but a big problem for ease of use). I tried out antix-viewer on some sites – it renders everything that’s just text and image perfecly correct – no video at all – so, in a way that’s nice for very low powered/ old devices… I’ll have to try this out on my single core netbook and see how it fares.

P.

• This topic was modified 1 year ago by PPC.
      PPC

Viewing the FAQ’s I noticed somethings that need to be updated/added:

– When antiX-23 is out of beta- the FAQ home page as to refer to antiX-23 and what’s new on that versions
        – saying “small screen zzz” may confuse some users, since “zzz” is a File Manager. Maybe “xyz”?
        – update the screen grab, to show the new wallpaper, theme, and Trash icon
        – clarify in “Why are there so many F options in the boot menu?” that those options do not show up in UEFI boot screen…
        – “I don’t want icons on the desktop, how do I disable them?” – this refers to live boot only. We can add how to do that in live boot and in installed systems. Also saying that the default “desktop” is zzz-icewm, so to have it, but without desktop icons, simply select “icewm” (from the F6 menu during live boot, and in installed systems, at the log-in screen, by pressing F1, until you see “icewm”, or in a running system (either live or installed) by using antiX Menu > Desktop > Other Desktops > IceWM).
        -“How do I keep the system up-to-date?” – refer to antiX-updater
        -“What window managers are available in antiX?” changing the indication of what’s default in versions up to 23 and in 23…
        -“Package Installer:” – adding the info that the most recent version of PI does have extra tabs to install apps from the enabled repos or from backports would be nice. Mentioning that it can be used to remove anything installed from the repositories is also handy…
        – Adding an “app-select” entry, to explain everything this excellent app does (specially with the latest add-ons- not sure if those are available in the default antiX 21/22), but probably in antiX-23, app-select will be the most used application to help users customize antiX to their personal tastes, allowing them to add quick launchers to their apps basically anywhere they want (yes, even in the first layer of the menu, if they use IceWM Manager GUI to display the Personal Menu entries on the first layer of the menu).
        – Maybe adding an entry about IceWM Manager GUI, as a nice way to customize almost anything in the (default) IceWM desktop.
        – Probably there’s lots more stuff that has to be updated or even added from scratch…

P.

stevesr0

Hi PPC,

As always, interesting and relevant comments.

I wonder how much of the material requires a full install.

I have on one system a minimalist graphic install (OpenBox built from net) and antix-viewer is not installed. I looked and saw a number of packages that aren’t installed on my system that are dependencies of antix-viewer.

Does antix-viewer have a general usefulness for the average user?

stevesr0

techore

I would recommend using xdg-open and not use a static reference. Let the user use their preferred doc/txt/html viewer. If the concern is ensuring a default exists, then do a xdg-open check and if the check fails, fallback on dillo or antix-viewer or whatever.

I do not have dillo nor antix-viewer installed but I do have several, more than three, binaries that can read and display docs from the cli or gui.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by techore.
            mcpderez

I have started some redlines to the FAQ — things that I noticed were obsolete. Unfortunately, they are at home and I am not, nor would I have much time to attend to them this week anyway. I suspect some overlap with the things that PPC noted. Is there an effort amongst the dev team to update the docs? I was hesitant to submit changes if it is already something being worked and it is hard to know if there are other changes coming since we have so far only seen the “full” versions except for core in sysvinit 64-bit, no 32-bit runit with kernel 6.x., and no base of any variant.

PPC —- I think it could be helpful if you adapt the posts you made about all of your new and updated scripts into some documentation. You’ve done a superb job describing your motivations and thought processes. If you could consolidate your notes to what is relevant to the “final” versions and with an eye toward both the new user as well as users who want to understand what is happening behind the scenes (such as which files are being modified), I would be happy to copy edit and help clean up the English translation.

I have appreciated having Dillo and links2 as part of the full version (at least on 32-bit) because some of my older machines do not cope with heavier browsers well at all. I will have to test with antix-viewer; I hadn’t considered trying that. I sometimes use these low end browsers on resource challenged machines with news sites like http://68k.news and search at http://frogfind.com.

PPC

That’s why I like sharing ideas here on the forum – other people see things from a prespective that I don’t think of:
                – I did not expect that antix-viewer would not be installed on some antiXes… I never expected it to have many dependencies… hum…
                – Another option is still removing Dillo and use the more modern (and more compatible with the modern web) xlinks2. It renders the FAQ pages a bit better than Dillo, placing the index menu on the left side of the window. If xlinks2 was a tiny bit better at rendering web pages, it would be my go to browsers to read news on my 32bits laptop.
                – Let’s see if anticapitalista comments on the changes required on some FAQ pages…

A bit of topic:
                @mcpderez – I do use xlinks2 for reading news, or even reading the forum, sometimes. Usually my default browser on my laptop and netbook is seamonkey (or min browser, and only then firefox-esr and firefox). Firefox-ESR 115 is almost perfect on my 32bits laptop – but it renders some images badly- it’s fast and about 100% compatible with the modern web. It stream YouTube perfectly at 240p (not bad, but the last Min browser made for 32bits Linux streams YouTube at 480p just fine…
                You can use antix-viewer as a “normal” web browser for pages with just text and pictures, but as far as I know, it does not have a way to enter URLs, unless it’s directly from the terminal. Launching it without any URL conveniently starts it in DuckDuckgo, so you can search for what you want. You can’t save password, bookmarks, etc… just view webpages…

P.

blur13

I have no experience with antix-viewer, its not available on antix 22. Whats it based on? Ie whats under the hood?

PPC

@blur13 – it’s not exactly new, but there’s not much info on it. It’s homepage is: http://github.com/antiX-Linux/antix-viewer

P.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.