Proposed addendum to the forum conduct rules

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Proposed addendum to the forum conduct rules

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Apr 3-11:47 am by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    christophe

The MX forum has this paragraph in their forum rules:

“You can talk about other distros or OS’s here (talk or discuss, not bash for any reason), but no MX bashing. You can PM one of the developers of MX if you just want to say you dislike or hate MX . I’m not saying that you can’t say you don’t like something about MX but know that you can PM one of the developers to state what you don’t like or would like improved or added.”

Obviously MX is not antiX. BUT — it is “common sense” and the above paragraph needs to be applied to antiX as well.

One can always use “contact us” from antixlinux.com (bottom of page) if one feels they NEED to send antiX “hate mail” — but keep it off the forum, for the sake of our community, as well as for visitors.

I’m just saying that this type of behavior should be shut down immediately. Our forum is for helping & development (or even just plain old fun discussions), not for being used as a punching bag.

• This topic was modified 11 months ago by christophe. Reason: added last paragraph to sum up

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Brian Masinick

I have no issue with amending the wording to add something similar to the antiX forum rules.

I’m going to be out this afternoon. antiX, you, an admin or moderator can add the language if there’s a consensus or if anticapitalista decides this is best.

--
        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
        Dave

I have the sense that regardless of this forum rule being present or not the person who wishes to express their opinion will still do so. Also I am not convinced the problem is actually them expressing their distaste with the distribution (I think that should be allowed) but that this “expression of distaste” is used in a troll like fashion. Everyone has an opinion… should it be dictated what that opinion can or cannot be?

Maybe the rule should state that expressions of distaste should not be conducted in a troll like fashion. As opposed to keeping all distaste for the distribution hidden. Perhaps in a forum category where replies are limited to moderators or administrators.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Brian Masinick

Dave, you make a good point.

I don’t think any of us participating in the forum as leaders, moderators, admins or development are bothered when we’re seeking ways to serve others and make things better. We all want to do our best and be helpful.

On a personal level when what we offer is what the user is seeking I try to help them. When our distribution is not the right March but I know of another one that is the right March I try to explain where the various different distributions are most helpful.

We all know that it’s hardware and software and it’s always possible to get something to work, but at what cost and at what consequences?

It is definitely possible to explain why distribution 1 is very good at use case 1 and why distribution 2 is very good at use case 2.

I never have a problem discussing it.

When I get upset is whenever anyone starts using words unkind to each other and to the people that work hard to provide software.

Many times I have reported defects. I’ll explain what I was expecting to see, what I actually experienced and what I would like to see changed in order to obtain the desired behavior. That’s the common development and testing language.

Any developer appreciates a well written report. If the behavior is a feature rather than a defect, at least there’s a dialogue taking place and an opportunity to request either different behavior or an additional feature request.

I hope that whatever we do we encourage this kind of productive exchange.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: Or

--
            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Respect other users. No flaming
              or abusing fellow forum members.

This is already in the forum conduct.

Sufficient?

--
              Brian Masinick

andyprough

Maybe the addendum should simply read “stop responding to the trolls, everyone.” We won’t get 3-page troll response threads if everyone doesn’t spend hours of their time piling on to try to teach the trolls “how wrong they are” (which is exactly what the trolls want you to do).

Brian Masinick

Maybe the addendum should simply read “stop responding to the trolls, everyone.” We won’t get 3-page troll response threads if everyone doesn’t spend hours of their time piling on to try to teach the trolls “how wrong they are” (which is exactly what the trolls want you to do).

Andy, as Dave suggested, what we add or don’t add to the forum conduct notes, we already have language stated which says “Respect other users. No flaming
                  or abusing fellow forum members.” Is it necessary to mention trolls or other names? Looking at what we already have in place, moderators currently have the discretion to direct a thread, and if necessary, put a hold on it if things get out of hand, remove content and/or users if the conduct isn’t followed.

The existing conduct policy, which I created by request from anticapitalista, took words that are common in other forums, and they already are sufficient to justify whatever is necessary.

Here’s what I see: generally speaking we have a well behaving community. However, every so often, someone will come along and use words that are contrary to the spirit of the conversations. The vast majority of us are candid; we call a bug a bug, a defect a defect, and we do so in a constructive manner. However, a couple of times a year (or if we’re REALLY fortunate every couple of years) someone will come in and use words that are more childish, teasing, scolding, or unnecessarily criticizing others instead of simply saying, “Friends, I’m current seeing a certain behavior in program xyzzy. I was hoping to see the following behavior in program xyzzy. Is this OK? What additional information do you need, and what is the next step?”

That’s all we need to do around here. It may be time to edit some posts if participants cannot conduct themselves appropriately and if we see the same participants feeding and participating in the undesirable behavior, none of us ENJOY doing it, but we’ll cut it off if we have to, and remove repeat offenses and offenders if necessary.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                  rokytnji

Entitlement brings disdain to this scooter tramp who lives in harsh desert climate and survives on his own.

Do what you wanna. Usually a title will put me off and I won’t even bother with a reply < I wish sometimes>.
                    God forbid one is impolite out here in the desert.
                    Whack em. Ban em. Still deal with 200MB cruft on LQ forum from a banned member here.
                    Funny thing is. I like jerking his chain.
                    Go figure. LIFE IS SHORT. Gotta grin when the slack on chain gives out.

I think that is why there are troll responses.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                    Not all who Wander are Lost.
                    Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

Entitlement brings disdain to this scooter tramp who lives in harsh desert climate and survives on his own.

Do what you wanna. Usually a title will put me off and I won’t even bother with a reply < I wish sometimes>.
                      God forbid one is impolite out here in the desert.
                      Whack em. Ban em. Still deal with 200MB cruft on LQ forum from a banned member here.
                      Funny thing is. I like jerking his chain.
                      Go figure. LIFE IS SHORT. Gotta grin when the slack on chain gives out.

I think that is why there are troll responses.

I think you make the “perfect enforcer” roki! 🙂

--
                      Brian Masinick

Xunzi_23

Have to agree with Dave,
                        plus some posters struggle with language, some maybe lack the mental capacity to understand
                        the reasons why certain choices were made and why in many cases antiX is the best choice distro.

Others are just ignorant and agressive. Thats life.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.