Pruning inactive users

Forum Forums Administration Site Help Pruning inactive users

• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Nov 17-10:30 am by masinick.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

Over the coming weekend, I’ll be pruning the forum of inactive users.
    So, if you haven’t logged in, you may find yourself pruned and have to join again.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

huhhhh … I got startled …
    reading through the newest forum posts almost every day, without posting too much myself.
    just logged in, to be on the save side and not getting pruned 😉

greetings from bavaria!

masinickmasinick

So, if you haven’t logged in, you may find yourself pruned and have to join again.

The “faithful” remain! So wonderful to be able to enjoy the long-time faithful members and contributors to this community effort.
    For those who are recent additions, a warm welcome, and wishes for a long, sharing environment where we offer to others what we have seen, learned, experienced, and value. It’s not all code, it can be documentation, training, writing, bug reports, or friendly encouragement to others.

Brian Masinick

manyroadsmanyroads

As a local curmudgeon, I add my greetings… herzlichste Grüße. 😉

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    MX-19 kernel: 5.2.21-antix.1-amd64-smp
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    MX- antiX- bspwm, hlwm, xfce4

fatmacfatmac

Well, I’m still around, not as much maybe, but still here. 🙂

I see our IP addresses are showing, should this be happening?
    (Or have I just not noticed before..)

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Well, I’m still around, not as much maybe, but still here.

Likewise in my case…
    Just my conjecture as for little activity in this forum prompting such action is that there are hardly any issues with antiX worth reporting and discussing… To compensate for this relative lack of activity some members even tried to inject some political posts to liven discussions. Even resorted to support negative political figures to spice things up…
    This is all because antiX is close to perfection and it is harder now to discover real technical issues to stay focused…

masinickmasinick

IP addresses might be useful for debugging the site, but they probably are not a good idea to include by default.

Good catch. Can our Website admin look into changing this?

Brian Masinick

rayluorayluo

Out of curiosity, does this forum (which seems powered by WordPress) have a user upper limit? Or would too-much-user cost you, financially? Some other forum platform, or Google Groups, probably does not have such restriction.

PS: The pruning would presumably based on last login time, I’m posting this reply to be on the safe side… 🙂

KooKoo

I,m still around mostly use Debian 10 but still have 17.4 on both my laptops that won’t be changing.

anitX-19 (5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp) + (i3)
    Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 + (i3)

Hallo Anti, all Antixians,

Also do not want to get Pruned out, registering was a pain with endless captchas.

Class members look in the forum quite often but as AntiX
    is the most trouble free distro we have ever used no need to ask many new questions at present.

BTW. Some kids still afraid to post due to Wonderland guy treatment.

Fantastic Distro, no users asking for change, help requests mostly related to printer or scanner installation.

Many thanks to all devs as well as the civil and helpful people involved in the forum.

masinickmasinick

One nice way we can all contribute in small ways is to occasionally comment on the way our software is helpful to us in the every day things we do with our systems.

We can comment on any extra software we install or even how we use what’s provided, as is.

Ways to help:
    1. Promote the software by affirming how it works.

2. Suggest ideas for future use, helpful features. List features used often as well as features seldom or never used.

3. Tell your friends about the forum and our software.

4. Share a brief note once a month about the things you are doing with antiX.

5. If you happen to have any of these skills, volunteer them as often as possible:
    – Writing: documentation, TODO, HOWTO, forum messages
    – Testing: run your favorite applications and share comments on usability, features and defects. Give examples of what you observe and what behavior you want the software to do.
    – Development: some people can write code, others can create scripts, artwork, request requirements or specifications

There are many things that can be done to help out with the distribution. These are only a few thoughts and ideas.

Come up with ideas on your own, that’s always encouraging…

Brian Masinick

masinickmasinick

IP addresses might be useful for debugging the site, but they probably are not a good idea to include by default.

Good catch. Can our Website admin look into changing this?

Interesting: When I use my phone, usually logged into the site, I always see IP addresses, surrounded by parentheses, with each post.

When I used a browser to click on a forum link (before logging in), the initial view of an arbitrary link did NOT show the IP address, but once I logged in, using the same topic, the IP addresses displayed once again when accessed on my computer system. I do wonder, however, if only moderators and those capable of editing forum posts, as a developer, moderator or editor are the ones who see the IP addresses. I suppose if it’s only the moderating team, that’s OK; they may come in handy to administer and resolve forum issues.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by masinick.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.