[Solved] Pulseaudio autostart

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” [Solved] Pulseaudio autostart

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jan 6-11:10 am by spaceman.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    spaceman

antiX 17 Core. I installed pulseaudio and it starts and works as expect. However, it does not auto-start and I have to issue a pulseaudio -D after every restart.

I have once again Googled myself senile. I was unsure what information would be be appropriate and pertinent: please ask I will provide. I can also install a flat build, if necessary, to test fixes.

As always, many thanks, in advance, for your help and expertise.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by spaceman.

~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ~ AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core ~ Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB RAM ~ M.2 SSD Samsung NVMe Evo 970 Plus 500GB ~ SSD Samsung Evo 860 500GB ~ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 Super ~

Between social reforms and revolution there exists for the social democracy an indissoluble tie. The struggle for reforms is its means; the social revolution, its aim.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    Helpful
    Up

what desktop evironment or window manager are you using on your core installation?

pulseaudio should but an autostart entry in /etc/xdg/autostart. But window managers are not likely to pick those up.

in any case, the command to use should be

pulseaudio --start

or if in X

start-pulseaudio-x11

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by dolphin_oracle.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by dolphin_oracle.
    spaceman
    Helpful
    Up

Indeed pulseaudio –start does work too. However, pa does not reload at startup.

I’m using Xfce4 (4.12.2), d_o, there is a pulseaudio.desktop in /etc/xdg/autostart…

~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero ~ AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core ~ Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB RAM ~ M.2 SSD Samsung NVMe Evo 970 Plus 500GB ~ SSD Samsung Evo 860 500GB ~ NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1650 Super ~

Between social reforms and revolution there exists for the social democracy an indissoluble tie. The struggle for reforms is its means; the social revolution, its aim.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    Helpful
    Up

Indeed pulseaudio –start does work too. However, pa does not reload at startup.

I’m using Xfce4 (4.12.2), d_o, there is a pulseaudio.desktop in /etc/xdg/autostart…

ok, so check in ~/.config/autostart

and see if there is a desktop entry overriding the default. it would also be named pulseaudio.desktop.

It may also be beneficial to check the contents of both files (if the second one exists), as I do not know how the antiX pulseaudio is set up.

cat /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
    cat ~/.config/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
    spaceman
    Helpful
    Up

In X I entered start-pulseaudio-x11 and got:

Connection failure: Connection refused
    pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

The end of cat /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop is

Exec=start-pulseaudio-x11
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=
    GenericName=
    X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Initialization
    X-KDE-autostart-phase=1'

cat ~/.config/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop is

[Desktop Entry]
    Hidden=false

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    Helpful
    Up

hmmm…

are you running dbus? I assume so but with you running a custom core I thought I would check.

spaceman
    Helpful
    Up

Yes, it appears that I am.

ps -ef | grep dbus | grep -v grep
    message+  2075     1  0 21:08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
    lightdm   2334     1  0 21:08 ?        00:00:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch 4bd2febd5bb6cdc66f935e555a385201 --binary-syntax --close-stderr
    lightdm   2335     1  0 21:08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --syslog-only --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
    spaceman  2386     1  0 21:08 ?        00:00:00 dbus-launch --autolaunch 4bd2febd5bb6cdc66f935e555a385201 --binary-syntax --close-stderr
    spaceman  2387     1  0 21:08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --syslog-only --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
    spaceman  2408     1  0 21:08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session --sh-syntax
    spaceman  2410     1  0 21:08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --syslog --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

In X I entered start-pulseaudio-x11 and got:

Connection failure: Connection refused
    pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

try adding this line (or uncomment, if already present) in /etc/pulse/default.pa
    load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1
    ^——- alternatively, you might may want to specify
    load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0/24

if the above doesn’t fix, check the suggestions offered in this askubuntu page: https://askubuntu.com/questions/70560/why-am-i-getting-this-connection-to-pulseaudio-failed-error/80090

spaceman
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks skidoo. I have seen this post and looked at some of these solutions. On your suggestion I worked through each suggested fix in turn.

"delet[e] ~/.pulse/* and restarting the sound server

Check (multiple).

check /etc/pulse/client.conf in /etc/pulse, as suggested in the warning. Make sure everything is set to its default value by commenting out every line with a leading semicolon.
    Check. I have previous uncommented two lines:

autospawn = yes
    daemon-binary = /usr/bin/pulseaudio

start pulseaudio in system mode, by changing the value of PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START in /etc/default/pulseaudio to 1.
    there is no /etc/default/pulseaudio file…

Open etc/pulse/default.pa and try commenting out all these lines:

.ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so
    load-module module-jackdbus-detect
    .endif

Check. No change.

I’ll toss it out there as it was mentioned in passing elsewhere. Do I need the recommended package pulseaudio-module-x11?

I hope not because:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     pulseaudio-module-x11 : Depends: libpulse0 (= 9.0-1.1.0nosystemd1) but 11.1-4.0nosystemd1 is to be installed
                             Depends: pulseaudio (= 9.0-1.1.0nosystemd1)
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Thanks all off to bed with pulseaudio working perfectly but still having to run pulseaudio –start.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by spaceman.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

pulseaudio-module-x11 is only in jessie repo. It is not needed for testing/sid.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/pulseaudio-module-x11

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

spaceman
    Helpful
    Up

OK, I’m using testing so I don’t need it, that’s good.

I don’t have /etc/default/pulseaudio, perhaps we have it another location, though I did a search and came up empty? Or can I create one, from a default file? I’m in a single user environment so I suppose there’s no reason I can’t run in system mode…whatever works at this point. 😀

Once again thanks all.

Forum Admin
    dolphin_oracle
    Helpful
    Up

if it works, you could add a “Session and Startup” entry for “pulseaudio –start”.

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

Why not change the exec line in the desktop file? It is still trying to use the x11 plug-in. Maybe change it to the pulseaudio -start command if the plug-in is not needed?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

spaceman
    Helpful
    Up

Dave, many thanks, I did try as you suggested and there was no change.

dolphin_oracle you nailed it (sorta) I had check and confirmed this was the case in Session and Startup:

However I couldn’t edit the entry to check what it was…or find a config file…so I disabled it and created my own:
    Ɨ
    This appears to have nailed a small, but irritating problem.

Thank you guys!

Ɨ Actually just pulseaudio is adequate.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.