You must be logged in to participate.
  • No
  • Yes with other linux/linuxes
  • Yes with lBSD
  • Yes with Mac OS
  • Yes with Android
  • Yes with Windows
  • Yes with something else
  • This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated Jun 24-10:08 am by fatmac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    RJP

Or do you have different computers for different operating systems?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by RJP.
      Wallon

Dear RJP,

Many people say that when Windows does a big update, it deletes the Linux distribution that is installed on the same disk. So I have always done installations on external SSDs or USB 3.1 drives in Legacy mode (MBR). I have never had a problem.

Best regards,
        Wallon

RJP

Dear RJP,

Many people say that when Windows does a big update, it deletes the Linux distribution that is installed on the same disk. So I have always done installations on external SSDs or USB 3.1 drives in Legacy mode (MBR). I have never had a problem.

Best regards,
          Wallon

That is true with Windows 10. Windows 8 and older were safer.

PPC

I have 4 computers (2 at home, 2 at the office)- my netbook still has the Windows 7 pro with came with. Last time I booted into it was about 2 years ago, maybe? Because I needed to use a Windows only file converter…

P.

techore

This works with MBR and UEFI. The issue is Microsoft assumes they can repartition which results in partition designations changing and the bootloader or bootmanager referencing the old designation for non-windows OSes. Rude!

Simplest solution is to use a dedicated storage (disk/ssd/usb flash) for windows and another for other OSes, otherwise, you have to update the bootload/manager with the correct partition and, possibly, the underlying OS.

Brian Masinick

I’ve multi-booted with as many as 12-13 distributions, one or two physical disks, and a combination of Linux, BSD, and Windows at a time when I had the physical resources.

I still multi-boot today, but now I’m exclusively booting Linux systems. On the rare occasions that I run something else, it’s either on other hardware or it’s on removable media that I do not install on any of my current systems.

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I’ve even multi-booted with vxworks back around two decades ago, but I barely remember any details now.
                  On a couple of occasions I also have tried real time systems, again, distant past; I am retired now and my needs and use cases are hobby stuff, and the rest is super simple Email and Web based reading, plus forum participation.

--
                  Brian Masinick

seaken64

I make it a practice to try and preserve the original operating system on each system that gets added to my collection. I almost always multi-boot with Linux and Windows using Grub. But sometimes I use another boot loader and sometimes I have several Linux distros on multiple hard drives, or on a removable drive.

Seaken64

Xunzi_23

Nope, w 10 Pro resides on a carefuly packaged removed disk in a dusty lidded box.

Only place it is fit for. Better would be trash but my vehicle diagnostic box
                      will only update with ms spyware.

Forum Admin
                      rokytnji

No. Different computers for different operating systems. Wife runs windows when I need something, rarely.

Used to multiboot linux distros like crazy.
                        Lost interest. Too much hassle.
                        I keep a few linux isos on file on every computer and on a external hardrive. They are there when I need a live usb to fix something.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Trashthrasher

I run win 10 & antiX dual boot, but on separate SSDs. I installed Windoze 1st & then antiX on the other SSD. Install Grub on the linux drive. I also use a shared 2TB external drive. Works great & I’ve had no problems updating either os. Oh yeah, I also use 128GB flash drive with Ventoy installed & a few .ISOs on it.

Ventoy

Animal lover
                          Savior of abandoned electronics
                          Linux Enthusiast
                          Check out my Punk/Metal band Taco Tuesday

mikey777

When I left Microsoft Windows back in 2014 and jumped ship, I also went a bit crazy with Linux multi-booting, particularly in the first 6 months of dizzying indecision. At one stage, I have to admit to having significantly more than 20 distros multibooted on a single drive on my Asus X71Q (see footnote), which is my main day-to-day working laptop. The Linux-multibooting worked fine, no problems at all, though I remember that the sudo update-grub operation would take an increasingly longer time with each OS addition to the multiboot list! It was like every new distro that I tried, got added to the multiboot list – a bit like stamp-collecting in the ‘old days’, it became quite addictive! I’m sure many forum members can identify with that.

Now, I have only three distros multibooted on the Asus (thankfully), on three separate partitions within the same SSD as follows:
                            antiX21 (installed long-term): my work horse for day-to-day work (admin, internet, etc)
                            antix19.5 (recently installed): for editing photos only – this version has python2, needed for the resynthesizer plugin in GIMP, for editing out time-stamps
                            wattOS: for TV live-streaming only (e.g. channel 5 here in the U.K.)

Why do I have a dedicated OS (wattOS) for TV live-streaming? The answer is quite simple. Because I’ve set up antiX21 to be secure [Adblock (hosts)+uBlock-Origin+Badger], it blocks TV-live-streaming on Channel 5. I don’t want to unblock the security on antiX21 to allow live-streaming, as it might just load a bunch of crap onto antix21 and mess it up. This is why I’ve got a separate OS for the TV, one which hasn’t got any adware/malware blockers activated, so that TV-livestreaming will work. As it’s a separate OS, with it’s own partition, hopefully it’ll keep any downloaded malware separate from the other OS partitions.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by mikey777.

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
                            - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                            ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
                            - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                            - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

blur13

On my main desktop I have the following, all on the same SSD:

Windows 10 = almost never ever boot into it, if I do its usually for printing

antix 19 = daily driver

Debian sid = if I need the latest version of a program, easier than compiling in antix 19

a 10 GB partition for testing out new distros, right now Endeavor OS

I had not idea Win 10 could wipe out the other partitions, maybe I’ll try and get a separate SSD for that. Anyways, Win 10 refuses to update since november, I run into some sort of error every time, get to 42% then it undoes everything. Apparently I’m not the only one with this issue, might be because it expects a more recent BIOS (mine is ancient). Or maybe, reading this, its because it wants to resize partitions but cant. Anyways, I dont really care. If I boot into windows its only to print, I can pull out the ethernet cable.

A bit off topic, but has anyone here got printing 100% working on linux? I guess it depends on printer hardware and drivers.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by blur13.
                              mikey777

A bit off topic, but has anyone here got printing 100% working on linux? I guess it depends on printer hardware and drivers.

Maybe best to start a separate thread on this, as it’s off-topic for ‘multibooting’. I can answer you once you’ve done that …

▪ 32-bit antix19.4-core (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on :
                                - (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus (JP04UK) – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
                                ▪ 64-bit antix21-base (SysV init)+LXDE legacy install on:
                                - (2008) Asus X71Q (7SC002) – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Intel Mobile 4 Series, integrated graphics
                                - (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. SiS Graphics

blur13
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.