You must be logged in to participate.
  • No
  • Yes with other linux/linuxes
  • Yes with lBSD
  • Yes with Mac OS
  • Yes with Android
  • Yes with Windows
  • Yes with something else
  • This topic has 24 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated Jun 24-10:08 am by fatmac.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

has anyone here got printing 100% working on linux

Yes including Photo printing to A3 in very good quality.

Big Brother MFC-J Inkjet workhorse and an A4 Laser for bigger
      monochrome print jobs. Also can run a TEC Starwriter A3 for special
      jobs where real carbon copy is specified.

Only thing I want to add is choose devices carefully, many have
      horror ink prices, others like canon just turn off after an arbitary
      time, print quality is very good but they have totaly lost my trust.

Some devices will not print or print with poor quality from linux,
      multi function devices usualy print fine but getting the scanner to
      work can be bothersome.

Brian Masinick

I still multi boot, but I do much less and test fewer components, especially since I use antiX in a fairly minimal configuration most of the time.
        Even when I use something else, I’m using a fraction of the capabilities, for instance, if I use something like Gimp, it might be once a year or once every couple of years. Most weeks I use a terminal, a couple of Web browsers, and maybe a file manager; yes, I do more on occasion, but not on an every day basis.

--
        Brian Masinick

Colonel Panic

I don’t have Windows and haven’t had it for years, but as I’ve got a 500GB hard drive I’ve got plenty of room for several Linux distros. At the moment the ones I’ve got installed on my hard drive, and working, are John Biles’s Legacy 3.0 (which is based on AntiX); Pardus, which is a Turkish distro based on Debian Stable; Pinguy, a French distro based on Ubuntu; and Manjaro 22.0 (the latest one).

RJP

Basically I use multiboot with other linuxes, but I have a pile of computers which have all kind of multiboot systems with different operating systems.

marcelocripe

I unfortunately still depend on Windows:

To do the work of formatting and installing Android on Smartphones that most of the time were designed only to work on Windows.

To catalog my data DVDs that I keep. The CD and DVD data catalogers I’ve tested from GNU/Linux don’t do what CDlyse does. CDlyse scans the CD or DVD and generates an “.xml” file, this file can be converted to “.html”, “.xls”, etc.

Besides, it’s going to take me a long time to learn to use The Gimp and Inkscape at the same level as their Windows counterparts.

Video tutorials for open source programs are hard to find in my language.

I believe that the day will come when I won’t need Windows anymore and I will have all open source programs running on antiX covering all my usage needs.

– – – – –

Eu, infelizmente, ainda dependo do Windows:

Para fazer os trabalhos de formatação e instalação do Android nos Smartphones que na maioria das vezes foram pensados apenas para funcionarem no Windows.

Para catalogar os meus DVDs de dados que eu guardo. Os catalagoradores de CDs e DVDs de dados que eu testei do GNU/Linux não fazem o que o CDlyse faz. O CDlyse faz a varredura do CD ou DVD e gera um arquivo “.xml”, este arquivo pode ser convertido para “.html”, “.xls”, etc.

Além de que, vai levar um bom tempo para eu aprender a utilizar o Gimp e o Inkscape no mesmo nível que os seus equivalentes que funcionam no Windows.

Os tutoriais em vídeo dos programas de código aberto são difíceis de serem encontrados em meu idioma.

Eu acredito que chegará sim o dia em que eu não precisarei mais do Windows e que terei todos os programas de código aberto funcionando no antiX cobrindo todas as minhas necessidades de utilização.

BobC

Yes, I have some machines with Windows (XP, 7, 10) and some with different Linux distros, as well as multiple versions of antiX.

In a non-GPT setup you are limited by grub to 16 boot volumes, I think.

Brian Masinick

Yes, I have some machines with Windows (XP, 7, 10) and some with different Linux distros, as well as multiple versions of antiX.

In a non-GPT setup you are limited by grub to 16 boot volumes, I think.

You may be right @BobC:, yet I distinctly remember back when I was booting 12-13 systems from a single computer, there was another guy that was doing 100, and he even demonstrated HOW he did it. I don’t think he used conventional means. Can’t recall the specifics any more, but it was long enough ago that it was probably GRUB 0.97 (Grub Legacy), and you can BET that he was probably chain loading nearly everything! That said, it CAN be done!

--
                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
                    Robin

@marcelocripe

To catalog my data DVDs that I keep. The CD and DVD data catalogers I’ve tested from GNU/Linux don’t do what CDlyse does. CDlyse scans the CD or DVD and generates an “.xml” file, this file can be converted to “.html”, “.xls”, etc.

There (probably) is no separate program because of Linux can do this out of the box, with a single command (use the path where your CD or DVD was mounted to instead of /media/cdrom):

$ tree -X '/media/cdrom'

To store it in a file add a pipe:

$ tree -X '/media/cdrom' > 'content.xml'

To import it to an .ods file (the free linux equivalent to .xls) open LibreOffice Calc, select “XML-Source” from Menu “Data” and then choose the .xml file to import the data from. Select a target cell and let it import.
                      Details:
                      $ yt-dlp -f '136+140' 'http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shc3CFOKp-0'

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

fatmac

Added my ‘No’ – one OS per machine, unless using from USB port. 😀

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
                        Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.