Questions concerning live USB persistence

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Questions concerning live USB persistence

• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Jul 30-1:40 pm by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hey All

I’ve read the FAQ & watched both of Dolphin’s videos concerning live USB with persistence, as well as did a search in the forum regarding this. I won’t say I read every post and answer concerning it, but have read several pages. Yet I can’t seem to find answers to my questions. I will say that I learned a lot from my reading/viewing. I haven’t tried making one as of yet.
      1) According to one of his videos, the 2nd one I think, he says that after setting the persistence settings of my choice, there is an option to select to save the settings. I assume that this keeps the settings of my choice for every use. If I prefer non-persistence for most of my uses, except to on occasion to do an update or add an application in root, then go back to using the USB in non-persistence mode; or to on a occasion download a document to the home file, can I accomplish this by setting it up in each use & not saving it? Or can after saving it & after some uses in non-persistence, go back & change the settings & re-save it? Is what I want, a possibility?
      2) If both my main computer & my USB are encrypted, how would I get a downloaded item from the USB to computer? Would it be best to leave the home file unencrypted, then retrieve the file that way? Or would I partition the USB & store the file outside the antiX portion? The later two options seems to leave the vulnerability of risking such files to be found by a third party if I were to loose control of the USB.
      If you think of related things I should consider, feel free to expound on them.

Thx in advance

christophe

Good questions, Renegade.

On root persistence vs. no persistence:
        Yes, you can switch at any time. But…
        You can easily run “live” (that is, frugal or usb) antiX without persistence. If you add programs or updates, then just be sure to remaster before you power off/reboot, or you will lose your new additions. No need to use persistence if you want everything back as it was, except under your own strict circumstances.

On saving files:
        Encryption should not matter. Save all your downloaded files to the folder “Live-usb-storage” (/home/demo/Live-usb-storage/). It is in the usb/frugal, and is “outside of persistence.” It won’t take up space in any persistence file, and so you will be able to save anything there, whether using persistence or not. For example, I always delete my Documents, Downloads, (and other similar files) folders from my home directory, then create folders with those names under Live-usb-storage. That way I keep home persistence small (or non-existent), and can save whatever files I want.

I would just play with it. See what you like best.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Xecure

Hi.
          Depending on what you want, we can recommend very different methods.

When you say

If I prefer non-persistence for most of my uses, except to on occasion to do an update or add an application in root, then go back to using the USB in non-persistence mode; or to on a occasion download a document to the home file

Do you mean to load the system with the changes of a previous session but not save the changes (if you are not interested that those changes are saved for the next session)? Or do you mean to load the system completely clean of changes (as it was set by default antiX) and other times load and save changes from previous sessions?

It isn’t too clear for me.

Also, we don’t know if you mean all the changes or only the home changes?

What I would suggest is that you try root persistence in dynamic mode with semi-automatic saving. This will load your system with the changes, the changes you make will be stored temporarily in RAM, and when you are ready to log out, it will ask you if you want to save the changes taken place during this session or not. This way you can decide when you are going to power off the computer if you want to make the changes permanent in the persistence files (or not).

There are a lot of different kinds of persistence modes, but we could separate them in
          Static mode: All changes are saved as soon as they happen (like in an installed system). -> Generally used for “/home” changes
          Dynamic mode: All new changes are temporarily stored in RAM and will not be saved until you say so (except if using automatic save mode). -> Generally used for “/” system changes

2) If both my main computer & my USB are encrypted, how would I get a downloaded item from the USB to computer?

You can mount encrypted partitions (from the live USB or from the installed computer system) as long as you know the encrypted password. I have not much experience in this, but I have seen users here doing it.
          You could also create an extra (non-encrypted) partition inside the USB device that you could use when you want to transfer things from one system to the other. It can be completely “public” and visible or you could use an encrypted container file (like a veryacript container) which can only be opened/mounted if you know the password (and have the same tooled installed to decrypt the container).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
          General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

olsztyn

@ Renegade Apprentice:

1. As a user of antiX in now exclusively Live/Frugal setting I had been using persistence in the past per your #1 requirements. For such implementation of persistence I had persistence save method set as Manual. With normal use of Live USB no changes accumulated during session, such as installing programs and playing with settings were saved therefore any changes were gone upon rebooting. Persistence mode (e.g. to Manual) can be done during initial setup of persistence or via Control Center ones booted.
            Just to mention, after setting up the required composition of Live (all needed programs and customization) I remastered and no longer need persistence at all, to keep pristine system each time it boots. If I do need to implement new changes I remaster. Also if you need to permanently save some files, Live USB Storage part is for that. Live USB Storage keeps content across reboots.

2. As I am using antiX exclusively as Live most of my Live USB instances are encrypted, except those sticks (more precisely the little Cruzer plugs), which are master instances kept as backup in case of issues discovered in result of updates and new implementations.
            Having Live USB encrypted presents your question #2: How to port imported files to your main computer.
            Experts in this forum will likely have better solutions than mine, as in my case I have been typically using SMB shares on NAS or laptops for such purpose. However there are other and simpler methods to transfer data from such encrypted Live USB. I think some of such methods might be:
            – Use another USB stick as data for transition
            – Mount a partition on main computer and transfer data from encrypted USB
            – Email, Cloud databases, etc…
            Just some ideas…

Update:
            Looks like Xecure and Christophe posted a more extensive and more expert outline of solutions before I finished typing my post…
            Thank you Xecure, Christophe…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by olsztyn.
            • This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Anonymous

@Christophe
              @Xecure
              @Olsztyn

Thx so much, I think you all have given me enough info to both answer my questions, ponder new thoughts/concepts, & research more.

@Xecure

In answer to your question… If your time is limited, you can skip to the last paragraph. I live in the third largest city in the country. Most of my friends in the city have no internet. 4G is iffy (most times I don’t have it), even 3G on some days or times of the day can be iffy, and 5g is only wired to residences that could afford such. When traveling to friends and family outside the city, and we get off the main hwy cell, service drops from 3G to 2G, then to no cell services at all. Even in the city there are many without electricity and indoor plumbing, so going outside the city, this becomes more common. In the compound next to where I live, their outhouse (used by multiple families) is right next to the fence that borders our property, about 8-10 ft from the duplex I live in. Fortunately, I live at the far end of the duplex. There is water piped to that compound, but ends in a faucet, where the residents bring jugs to fill and take back to their homes. The compound behind us is similarly set up. On the other side of us, I think they have indoor plumbing. Few in the city have internet in their homes.

So you can imagine what it’s like outside the city. At my in-laws place a few hours away, water is brought to them & surrounding relatives by donkeys. Getting to these places, the first part of the trip is by what we call matatu, which is a van used to transport people similar to a bus in the US or Europe. The matatus are literally packed like sardines most times. The more people they carry, the more money they make. Anything you can’t carry in your lap, goes in the small space under seat, or in a small storage area in the back of the van, or tied to the roof. All this is subject to pilfering, much worse in the capital, but not so common where I live. Except that I’m obviously a foreigner, & foreigners are considered to always have money & valuables. This raises my threat level some. The matatu lets you off somewhere on the hwy where you next find a motorbike to take you into the country. Leaving is just the same, except that finding a motorbike on the way back may take time. I’ve walked several kilometers before a bike came along. So I travel very light. I keep my personal things to a “small” backpack. Sometimes I carry a second disposable bag with gifts, such as sugar, white flour, & soap, which I leave without.

My laptop is small, sometimes I bring it with me so we can have music when we’re sitting around talking, or movies for later in the night, which the kids appreciate. So it goes until the battery dies. I usually have no desire for the internet, but if I have business to take care of, going to a cyber means taking a bike several kilometers to the village center. These small cybers are notorious for malware. So if I don’t bring a laptop, a non-persistent usb (malware free for the next time I use it) would be helpful. After reading/listening to the antiX material about making a persistent usb & thought it would nice being able to set up my browsers up the way I like them. But as I was reading/listening, it was sounding like (but I wasn’t clear) I could change from non-persistence to persistent, which would save a step, vrs making a whole new usb if I needed to change or update something. On rare occasions I have to do personal business online (better not done on one of their infected computers), sometimes where I need to download something. Being able to store the file in an encrypted way, would be a safe precaution.

ModdIt

Hi renegade apprentice,
                Never use persistence for my usb systems, if they are read only it has the advantage of keeping virus trojan danger to an absolute minimum.

I setup my system the way I like it then do a live personal remaster, after updates or major changes remaster again. Personal remaster is not
                default so you must remember to set it. Just save files to live usb storage or another USB stick. I take latter option whenever possible.
                For travelling a USB stick with read only switch is a very useful option.

The living situation you describe reminds me of parts of asia, in Porto Galera the road, a rutted track just stopped at a place called white
                beach. In the North of Luzon, the main island the roads required self repair at times especialy during rainy season.
                The for many people the village had one tap for water, rich lived in stinking moldy concrete houses, poor in huts made from bamboo and coconut lumber.
                I understand people saying the foreigners they see are rich, in comparison most visitors are, I certainly was, even had own motorcycle and enough to
                fly back to europe. really another story, I now support a small family in Vietnam, probably neighbours too, i have asked to give food to those who have none or not enough.

Travel in a matatu sounds much like being a passenger on a Phillipine Jeepney, very intimate, if full you got mom on left knee, daughter on the right one.
                Mostly my bag was in a somewhat grimy rice sack tied closed with a piece of fishing net, stopped zip opening and took away some stress regarding pilfering.
                In the countryside I also carried a bolo as did almost all male filipinos. An everyday tool not a weapon, in the countryside needed to open green coconut
                which gave the only safe water for drinking or cleaning wounds. Accidents were common, I smashed my foot very badly after hitting a big stone hidden in muck
                and water, half a day to get to Hospital and a big fight to keep my toes. I am reminded of that every day, mashed up bones are not so reliable if I must get
                up off a floor..

Xecure

As many have pointed out, using live without persistence may be your best option. You can remaster when you want to save changes. Though it takes longer, you don’t need to decide if you are going to save or not your session changes before booting.
                  Also, you can save your downloaded files inside the “Live-usb-storage” folder, as a christophe mentioned, and you don’t need to remaster to keep those files.

If during live USB creation you leave some extra free space (I think that can be done in the advanced options of “Live USB maker”), you can later decide how to format that partition (like creating a Fat32 partition for storing data) that you can later access from any system, even Windows (though you will have to clean it in linux to remove any hidden folders or files created by the possibly infected Windows systems you mount it on).

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by Xecure.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
                  General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

yqqwe123

usually the live system is for a tempory rescuse usage. i have configured a live persistence system before;but the use experience is not good , because somehow the persistence system is not stable, so now i only use the non persistence version and save the file on local disk or upload important file to cloud drive

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by yqqwe123.
                    Anonymous

@Xecure and @Moddit

Forgive the late reply, I have a sick child. We’ve taken her to the doctor’s twice and had one house call (still done here by a rare few doctors). She’s doing better now.
                      I think there’s possibly a misunderstanding, When I talk about using persistence to make changes or updates, I’m referring to when I get home & the USb is on my computer with my own internet, the same computer that I used to create it. I understand why to keep it in non-persistence otherwise, to keep it free of infection, but if it’s risky to do any changes while plug into my home computer, then I’m doing something wrong (though I’ve been know to do something wrong quite often). Anyways, I’ve still yet to read up on re-mastering, which is on my reading list today, along with finishing reading about a frugal install. So, maybe that’ll be my preferred method once I understand it more.

@Moddit
                      I seem to recall someone telling me about riding a Jeeney before, or maybe I’ve seen one on TV. I went and looked on youtube for some examples & they were pretty much what I was picturing, only older & more beat up than the ones I saw on youtube. I’ve had many Filipino friends & my 4th son was stationed there as well. I left FB years ago, because they wouldn’t let me log in unless I gave them my phone number. The problem was, that my only contact with those Filipino friends was FB. Everytime I hear of a typhoon or volcano there, I think of them.

Anonymous

@yqqwe123

You must have been writing as I was writing because your message popped up just as I submitted my previous reply. Thx.

christophe

I ONLY use antiX live – “frugal” mostly. That is to say, I nearly always use antiX on my computers, and it is always using it “live.”

The performance is (to me, functionally) the same as a regular installation. And even on my oldest computers, it “feels” the same, performance-wise. I normally run the system from the hard drive (termed “frugal”), so that helps performance. I have found that some USB sticks are slooow. I have had good speed from Sandisk brand. Typically Belkin (In my experience) have been too slow read/write speed to work well in this way.

I have no problem using persistence. I use it normally. I like static persistence, but others here like to use dynamic. Again, I haven’t noticed much difference in performance, personally. If you have less than 2 GB RAM, I strongly recommend static persistence. If you have more, then I think either static or dynamic is fine.

The general usage is, to use persistence to set up your system, just as you like it. Then remaster.
                          Normally, I do a “personal” remaster – an option that the Remaster program asks you once you start it.

After reboot, you can continue using persistence.
                          It’s just that sometimes, some of us like to “lock it down,” for various reasons. But most of my frugal instances of antiX, which I use as my everyday computing environment, I keep running it with persistence.

As an example of “locked down:” I built an old computer for children, set up to be only a game-launcher, based on antiX. It only uses “home persistence” so they can make launcher, wallpaper, and other small changes, but cannot mess up anything critical, and nothing can get in from the outside, either.

It’s a HUGE subject. In my opinion, it takes a bit of personal experience to understand it well.

But there are many of us here who LOVE to talk about it, so keep asking questions… 😉

Anonymous

@christophe Thx, bunches, appreciate your answers & posts. I’m getting more interested in the Frugal method the more I hear you guys talk about it. i had planned to finish reading about it today, but have had constant interruptions. I still may get it done yet, but our day is almost over.

christophe

@Renegade – By the way, I REALLY like your avatar. You’ve got some art skills!

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista

Like @christophe I prefer a frugal install with persistence to hard drive rather than running a persistent live-usb.
                                Mainly because the laptops I use do not have usb3 (except 1). usb2 works reasonably well if you have >4GB RAM, but it can still suffer from ‘throttling’.
                                I do not see this on any of my frugal installs.

Currently I have the following frugal installs running on my antiX-19 laptop.

antiX-17 32 bit upgraded to use sid repos
                                antiX-17 64 bit upgraded to use sid repos
                                antiX-17 32 bit upgraded to use testing repos
                                antiX-19 32 bit running buster (default) repos
                                antiX-19 64 bit running buster (default) repos
                                antiX-21-alpha 32 bit running bullseye (default) repos
                                antiX-21-alpha 64 bit running bullseye (default) repos
                                antiX-17 32 bit running stretch (old stable) repos
                                antiX-17 64 bit running stretch (old stable) repos

I recently retired my 32 and 64 bit antiX-16 frugal installs.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Anonymous

@christophe Thx. That was my first attempt at wrapping text around a curved object. The usb/lock I found on the net, then I added the text, so I can’t take credit for the concept or original. Now that I think of it, That usb would look nice set in the middle of a wallpaper. On that note, I’ve placed my slim welcome screen & desktop wallpaper under the screenshot section under the label “wallpaper”. Someone else started the thread.He actually did a real nice job on his wallpaper

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.