recommend for an email client sought

Forum Forums General Software recommend for an email client sought

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by masinick Jun 24-2:55 pm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

I am interested in using a separate email client for my web-based email accounts (Yahoo and gmail currently).

Mainly, this is driven by a desire to use a separate window from my browser and to use a program that is lightweight.

Looking at reviews, there are several gui and terminal apps that are commonly mentioned, but none is obviously the best choice for me.

Calendar and contact functionality would be a plus, but aren’t mandatory.

Appreciate comments and recommendations from other antiX users.

BobC

I tried Claws with Yahoo and that worked. Not sure about gmail.

I have Evolution installed. It looks full featured and took 120 mb of downloads and eats up about 200 mb of memory before any emails are involved, so I wouldn’t call it lightweight.

I haven’t used either enough to say I like them. I still use web mail.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by BobC.
    Xaver
    Xaver

My favorite is Sylpheed. It is simular to Claws, has less plugins available, but is much lighter. The search functions of Sylpheed are much better (i.e. virtual folders) and the with the latest version (3.7) you can import and export addressbook items as csv. So you could exchange email adresses with Osmo and other PIMs.

But you should not store your email passwords within Sylpheed. They are stored as plain text (!) in your configuration files. So either use your brain or something like KeePass to store your email passwords.

malanrich

Claws Mail works fine for me with Gmail and Yahoo Mail. But my use is limited to personal emailing, not for business. So I haven’t explored all the options offered by plugins. Plenty light for my vintage desktops and laptop. Stable and easy to configure.

masinick
    masinick

Claws Mail and Sylpheed are both lightweight Email clients.

Thunderbird is an Email companion to the Firefox Web browser, but I would not consider either of them “lightweight” in any context.
    Seamonkey offers an integrated Web Browser and Email client – a successor to the Mozilla browsing suite, which followed the original Netscape browsing suite.

KMail is an Email program included with KDE, a full-featured desktop. Kmail is the Email component of Kontact, a personal information manager (PIM).
    Geary is a moderate sized Email client from the GNOME desktop project.
    Mutt is a command (text) based Email client.
    Mailspring is one of the most recently developed Email clients, now based on a C++ development model; previous versions called Nylas Mail (which are no longer developed, used a less efficient JavaScript sync engine.

TCL/Tk users have used and enjoyed exmh, based on a Rand mail handler known as MH; GNU Emacs has Email capabilities based on MH and traditional mail commamds.

Quite a few alternatives and there are more if you dig deeply enough; these are some of the most common ones along with a few that have been around a long time.

Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Belated thanks to all.

I haven’t done anything pending reinstall of system on this computer, but will followup if I have any experience I deem useful to share.

Steve.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

I cheat. I let my wife handle yahoo and Windows.

I do the heavy Linux Lifting and gmail.

So it is all good. Claws is my go to for my ISP email account. Which I rarely use anymore. My Browsers handles gmail.

$ apt search claws
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    <snip>
    claws-mail/jessie,now 3.13.0-1mx150+1 i386 [installed]
      Fast, lightweight and user-friendly GTK+2 based email client
    ,snip>

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

TonyVanDam
    TonyVanDam

I’m currently using Claws.

TonyVanDam
    TonyVanDam

Claws Mail and Sylpheed are both lightweight Email clients.

Thunderbird is an Email companion to the Firefox Web browser, but I would not consider either of them “lightweight” in any context.
    Seamonkey offers an integrated Web Browser and Email client – a successor to the Mozilla browsing suite, which followed the original Netscape browsing suite.

KMail is an Email program included with KDE, a full-featured desktop. Kmail is the Email component of Kontact, a personal information manager (PIM).
    Geary is a moderate sized Email client from the GNOME desktop project.
    Mutt is a command (text) based Email client.
    Mailspring is one of the most recently developed Email clients, now based on a C++ development model; previous versions called Nylas Mail (which are no longer developed, used a less efficient JavaScript sync engine.

TCL/Tk users have used and enjoyed exmh, based on a Rand mail handler known as MH; GNU Emacs has Email capabilities based on MH and traditional mail commamds.

Quite a few alternatives and there are more if you dig deeply enough; these are some of the most common ones along with a few that have been around a long time.

Speaking of CLI-based email clents, don’t forget about Alpine, which is good for novices/beginners. And there is also Neomutt [not in Debian-stable repos, but currently in Debian-testing repos], which has more enhance features than regular Mutt.

azrielle
    azrielle

I still use webmail.earthlink.net (from within my browser).
    That said, I consulted an email client testing article some time ago, and the format of ‘geary’ seemed to be the easiest to get used to coming from webmail.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by azrielle.
    Lenovo T430 i5/3220M 8GB 14.1" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 180GB SSD+128GB mSATA
    Lenovo X230 i7/3520M 12GB 12.5" MX17.1/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
    Lenovo X131e i3/3227u 8GB 11.6" MX17.1/AntiX 17.1 Fluxbox/Win7SP1 500GB SSD
    masinick
    masinick

@azrielle does the Earthlink Email interface use POP3 or IMAP4 to interact with the Webmail service?

If I ever used Earthlink it has been too long to remember much of anything about it other than the name.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.