Reconfiguring antiX-21 install to “mimic” Windows 10

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Reconfiguring antiX-21 install to “mimic” Windows 10

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Nov 9-10:39 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Recently HW upgraded an older (15yr+) Windows XP Home Acer Aspire AO250 with total of 2.0GB RAM and a much faster 120GB SSD.
      Installed ‘Grup Yorum’ recently.
      Further feasible steps to ever-so-slightly “mimic” the Windows 10 user experience on this i386-compatible netbook installation of AntiX-21?
      Have already…
      – Perused relevant topic https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-giving-new-life-to-very-old-2004-32bits-computers/
      – Perused relevant topic https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/short-essential-how-to-list-for-the-complete-linux-newbie/ including carrying out its 2021-06-15 post “7- Adding application’s icons to the desktop”
      – Grabbed a Windows 10 background and set it as the default Rox-IceWM wallpaper for the regular, non-root user.

At least the next ideals are to …
      1. Enable solely the regular username to always appear in the GUI Login prompt just as native Debian ‘Bullseye’ does with LightDM in http://wiki.debian.org/LightDM#Enable_user_list . Sure, that means no Autologin as per recommendation at http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/index.html#_post_installation
      2. Completely lock the F1 desktop choice at the GUI Login prompt so that anything other than the default Rox-IceWM windows manager cannot appear.
      3. Locate the correct binaries for ‘Control Centre’ and Connman and place these as directly-clickable icons on the Rox-IceWM desktop.
      4. Find and choose an acceptable Windows 10-like theme following recommendations from here and from sites like http://ice-wm.org//

Hints? Redirections?
      TYIA!

BobC

Do a forum search for PPC’s thread where he sets up antiX with Fluxbox and Tint2

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

BobC

Here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-transformation-pack-min-fluxbox-with-tint2-toolbar-antix-ft-10/

PS: Rereading your request, I don’t think antiX handles your 1 user valid request if you are expecting it to prefill the user names for you, without changing to LightDM which supports that. I suppose you could investigate the Slimski configuration (/etc/slimski.conf) to see if there is a way to do that.

PPC created a very Win/10 like environment with his Fluxbox and Tint2 combo. IceWM is my favorite using it’s toolbar icons for my launchers instead of the Rox filer desktop, and I use Win/10 all day long, but if you want to meet your requirements, you’ll probably need to configure the system yourself till you are happy with it.

PSS: The slimski.conf can handle a default user id, and you could change it to only show one desktop.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by BobC.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by BobC.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by BobC. Reason: correct to slimski setup

PPC

Hi!
            On your 3rd point:
            You can find any binary by selecting the app’s name in app-select: it show the command needed to run the application, it’s icon, etc.
            for the control center it’s “antixcc.sh” and, for connman, you probably mean “cmst”

4- On getting your system to use similar UI to Windows, my configurations do allow you to have a toolbar very similar to the one Windows 10 uses (you can see thumbnails of running apps, have a search icon, etc). I’ve recently using as my menu, a jgmenu configured to look like what seems to be a cross between Windows 10, 11 and a normal Linux menu- it displays Pinned apps first, then all apps in alphabetical order, has a search field at top, and to the bottom left, there are Exit, Control Center, File Manager, etc, icons.
            I also tried the very same menu with the default categories to the left, but it feels a bit bloated to me, because I’m now used to a simpler menu.- if you want I can publish here my jgmenu configuration…
            My toolbar was originally configured to work with the fluxbox desktop, but latest versions were made compatible with any Window Manager/Desktop environment, with 2 particularities- to use it, you must know how to hide the default toolbar and also disable it’s system tray (or else Tint2 can’t show the system tray, because it’s locked to the default toolbar…)
            On fluxbox, I use the “numix” theme, because I like it, it looks modern and also, if you look at it at first glance, it’s a bit similar to Window 10’s window theme…
            Using a tint2 toolbar with a jgmenu as a “start menu” is probably your best bet to having a system that makes a Windows user feel at home, while still using antiX.
            I run that setup on a 32bits, 1 gb of RAM laptop, and idle RAM usage is way below 100mg, and CPU usage is about 2%, I guess…

On your 1 st and 2nd points- if it’s a single user computer that’s always at home, probably the best user experience would be setting on auto log in…

P.

caprea

1. Enable solely the regular username to always appear in the GUI Login prompt

If I understand you right here this is possible. In the /etc/slimski.conf there’s this option, it’s line 227 here.

::: Immediately focus the password field.
              ::: This option is moot (ignored) unless a default_user has been
              ::: specified AND singleInputMode=false AND autologin_enabled=false
              passwdfocus_enabled true

marcelocripe

hello itfactor36,

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator.

A little note, have you been registered on this forum for 3 years and 10 months?

I have been registered on this forum for 1 year and 5 months and follow all questions asked by new antiX users just to learn and try to follow all topics that interest me, also with the aim of learning. It appears that you are not following the threads of new antiX users and the various customization threads created in these 1 year and 5 months.

PPC has created several solutions that make the migration of users from Windows to antiX much more comfortable, in addition to the topics already mentioned there is the one of Lixeira para o antiX (SpaceFM ou o zzzFM), I quickly found the topic that PPC kindly created in the Portuguese language area, you will need to translate with an internet translator for your language.

The topic Como deixar o antiX com aspecto mais moderno (similar ao Windows 10) from the Portuguese language area, which is also authored by PPC, also includes the weather forecast in the Tint2 bar, something that came into Windows months after the implementation of PPC.

And finally, something I’ve written several times for new users, prefer any desktop that has ‘Space’ (for antiX 19.4) or ‘zzz’ (for antiX 21) as the default desktop as are the ones that have the behavior most similar to the behavior of Windows XP.

More than that, I think only LinuxFX.

marcelocripe
                (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá itfactor36,

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet.

Uma pequena observação, você está cadastrado neste fórum há 3 anos e 10 meses?

Eu estou cadastrado neste fórum há 1 ano e 5 meses e acompanho todas as perguntas feitas por novos usuários do antiX só para poder aprender e tento acompanhar todos os tópicos que o assunto me interessa, também com o objetivo de aprender. Ao que parece você não está acompanhando os tópicos dos novos usuários do antiX e os vários tópicos sobre personalizações criados nestes 1 anos e 5 meses.

O PPC criou várias soluções que tornam a migração dos usuários do Windows para o antiX muito mais confortável, além dos tópicos já citados tem o da Lixeira para o antiX (SpaceFM ou o zzzFM), eu encontrei rapidamente o tópico que o PPC gentilmente criou na área em idioma Português, você precisará traduzir com um tradutor da internet para o seu idioma.

O tópico Como deixar o antiX com aspecto mais moderno (similar ao Windows 10) da área em idioma Português, que também é de autoria do PPC, inclui ainda a previsão do tempo na barra do Tint2, algo que entrou no Windows meses depois da implementação do PPC.

E por fim, algo que eu já escrevi várias vezes para os novos usuários, prefira qualquer área de trabalho que possua o ‘Space’ (para o antiX 19.4) ou ‘zzz’ (para o antiX 21) como área de trabalho padrão, pois são as que possuem o comportamento mais parecido com o comportamento do Windows XP.

Mais do que isso, eu acho que só o LinuxFX.

marcelocripe
                (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Anonymous

from caprea

If I understand you right here this is possible. In the /etc/slimski.conf there’s this option, it’s line 227 here.

::: Immediately focus the password field.
                  ::: This option is moot (ignored) unless a default_user has been
                  ::: specified AND singleInputMode=false AND autologin_enabled=false
                  passwdfocus_enabled true

Super helpful here, so thanks!
                  Also saw the thread ‘zzzfm and slimski’ https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/zzzfm-and-slimski/ , where slimski is apparently antiX-21’s reworked SLiM by “skidoo”.
                  While I couldn’t find the slimski manpage CONFIGURATION section’s suggested /usr/share/doc/slimski/slimski_OPTIONS_LIST.txt documenting file on my own antiX-21 installation, was fairly easily able to figure out this and my other “ideals” 1 and 2 using the nicely self-documenting /etc/slimski.conf (and slimski.local.conf) settings 🙂

Directly related to slimski, liked neither the default login manager theme within the antiX21-slimski.zip initially linked from https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/zzzfm-and-slimski/#post-62997 nor the other themes within /usr/share/slimski/themes (although the ax theme at least didn’t have that undesired prompt “Press F1 to toggle sessions” appear 😐 )
                  Besides choosing an alternate GRUB .png image from a self-created, Windows10-like bitmap image, might probably have to at least similarly create Windows10-like bitmap images background.png and panel.png for /usr/share/themes/<mimicWin10theme>. And sure, would have to better learn and edit the internals of a BobC slimski.theme as well 😐

Again, did indeed like some of PPC’s helpful tips from posting https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/short-essential-how-to-list-for-the-complete-linux-newbie/#post-37485 🙂
                  6.- Adding application’s icons to your (tool)bar (If you are using the default Icewm antiX desktop)
                  7.- Adding application’s icons to the desktop:
                  8.- Changing desktop background:
                  9.- Turning the desktop’s resource monitor (Conky) on/ off:

Might even consider add these as possible temporary 7a.- and 7b.- …..
                  “7a.- Menu > Run > then type (without the quotes) “rox /usr/share/applications/antix” for antiX-specific app icons for the desktop”
                  “7b.- You can find any binary by selecting the app’s name via Menu > App Select: it shows the command needed to run the application, its icon, etc.”
                  (slightly revised from PPC’s previous tip)

This PPC tip helped much with that “ideal 3” 🙂

BobC

No, actually, I had the right general idea, but my “upgraded 19 to 21 system” had the old filename. Caprea gave you the correct .conf filename for antiX 21, which had been changed. Skidoo really made sure Slimski was well featured and documented internally. It has a treasure chest full of toys inside thanks to his efforts.

Like PPC, I am also a big fan of “Use the Toolbar”. Every program I use is on my toolbar, so I rarely need to bring up the desktop or hunt the menus for a program, I just point and click.

BTW, if you are working with an older or low resource machine, running just IceWM and not running the desktop or Conky also saves a bunch of memory, and saves CPU as well.

Brian Masinick

I’m another one who puts the apps I frequently use on the taskbar.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.