Red Windows

Forum Forums General Other Languages Spanish Red Windows

Tagged: 

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Nov 28-9:59 am by humpty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Alguno tiene experiencia en como hacer con Antix Linux para ver archivos en una red Windows, eso lo logre instalando el escritorio Mate, pero desde el XFCE no lo logré, instalé SpaceFM pero tampoco veo las redes Windows, ¿que será lo que me faltó?

fatmacfatmac

Google Translate =

Anyone has experience in how to do with Antix Linux to view files on a Windows network, I did that by installing the Mate desktop, but since the XFCE I did not succeed, I installed SpaceFM but I also do not see the Windows networks, what will I lack?

Linux (& BSD) since 1999

Anyone has experience in how to do with Antix Linux to view files on a Windows network,

IMHO this is a good question that should be resolved. My experience (actually not successful) was an attempt to use ‘Shares’ on Control Center of antiX but not being successful in figuring this out eventually gave up on this.
    The way I see it is an important piece that is missing in antiX or it is so simple that is not visible.
    I have three NAS stations (funny all running Linux too) serving files to Windows and Android but access from antiX seems still a mystery… Specifically Option1 in ConnectShares sees SMB shares but no clue how to connect to them.
    I would also appreciate someone sheds some light on how to do it… Perhaps there is some better app than this ConnectShares inferior choice?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by olsztyn.
    capreacaprea

Don’t know if the instructions are still up to date but there’s a section about connectshares in the FAQ and a video

FAQ,connectshares

Find and Mount Network Shares by runwiththedolphin

It does not appear to me those old instructions relate any more to current composition in antiX. Please correct me if I am wrong…
    E.g. in order to connect it tells to:

From the antiX menu select
    Control Center→System→Edit Fluxbox, IceWM or JWM Settings (choose the one you are using)

In the startup tab, edit the following section to read

Note
    startup

# mount Samba and/or NFS shares
    sleep 2 && connectshares &
    sleep 2 && connectshares connectshares-2.conf &

So from the start I do not seem to follow this sequence from the Control Center, not speaking of it was strange to edit WM config in order to accomplish connection to shares.
    My point also would be that there should be a simple and easy way in the first place. We do use shares in Linux too after all, don’t we?

but there’s a section in the FAQ and a video (scroll down FAQ-side)

Thanks Caprea. Having watched this video I was able to configure CIFS shares in antiX along with login credentials. I must say this is not too complex but I think Connectshares command/util should be included in Control Center as well instead of looking for it in Applications/Internet…
    I was also looking at Debian CIFS-utils but with no success so far…
    Now, question would be how to explain this process to the originator of this thread

Are the tutorials and documentation outdated and now inaccurate?

FAQ/connectshares.html

In general I think the tutorial still holds as well as videos are helpful as usual. The only pieces from tutorial that I was referring to as possibly in need of updating or clarification were reference to making changes in configs of WMs.
    Such as (quote):

From the antiX menu select
    Control Center→System→Edit Fluxbox, IceWM or JWM Settings (choose the one you are using)

In the startup tab, edit the following section to read

Note
    startup

# mount Samba and/or NFS shares
    sleep 2 && connectshares &

The other suggestion was that the Control Center has the configuration of Connect to shares but missing actual connect function, for which you need to leave the Control Center and execute connecting to shares running Connectshares from general menu. Perhaps there was a reason for this that Connectshares configuration was separated from execution but it seems add Connectshares functionality is not together in one place but split in two different places.
    Other than these details Connectshares appears to still work as expected.

Anyone has experience in how to do with Antix Linux to view files on a Windows network,

I’ve had success recently mapping a share by using a script (I’m migrating to antiX from lubuntu) .

To Map an existing network place using Samba;

(1) install samba (includes: samba-common-bin(..nmblookup))
    (2) install cifs-utils (includes: mount.cifs)

(3) write a script like this;

#!/bin/bash
    #--------netmount <hostname> <sharename>
    # e.g    netmount batcave1 tempfolder

# some mount options
    EXTOPTS='--type cifs -o uid=batman,gid=batman,username=batman,password=123456' # for linux
    FATOPTS='--type cifs -o guest,uid=batman,gid=batman'                # for windows shares
    ANDOPTS='--type cifs -o noperm,rw,user=batman,uid=batman,gid=root'  # for android shares
    #-----------------------
    # begin

if [ "$1" == "$HOSTNAME" ]; then return;fi;	# do not map self
    sudo mkdir /mnt/$2 2>/dev/null			# create mount point
    sudo umount /mnt/$2 2>/dev/null			# unmount any old mounts

tofind=$1'<00>'					# find the IP of the hostname
    IPADR=$(nmblookup -R $1 | grep $tofind | cut -d' ' -f1)
    if [ "$IPADR" != "" ]; then 
        echo mounting $IPADR $1:$2 on /mnt/$2
        sudo mount $FATOPTS //$IPADR/$2 /mnt/$2	# the actual mount * CHANGE OPTS HERE *
    else
        echo mounting $1:$2 not found
    fi

exit
    #-----------------------
    # needs
    # 1) samba	(includes: samba-common-bin(..nmblookup))
    # 2) cifs-utils (includes: mount.cifs)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.