Reimplementing a GUI Mouse configuration tool in antiX 23

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo Reimplementing a GUI Mouse configuration tool in antiX 23

• This topic has 104 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated May 27-4:05 pm by BobC.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

By the way, libinput does have a way to disable touchpad while typing:
      sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
      If you need “tap to click”, you can add

Option “Tapping” “true” to the touchpad section of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf.
      (or the equivalent; this was from a *buntu example.)

See https://askubuntu.com/questions/886092/how-do-i-disable-the-touchpad-while-typing for the discussion from which I extracted these comments, which also indicate that both libinput/xinput and synaptics/synclient have this capability; it’s just a different option.

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I tried rev 5; functionality continues to work; I hope we get more people with DIFFERENT devices to test; that’s where we lack in test coverage.

--
        Brian Masinick

PPC

Like I said, I’m not actively developing this script, but last night, I was able to test it on a netbook:
          – without mouse- the main window instantly popped open, allowing me to manage the touchpad
          – when I plugged the mouse- the initial selection window appeared when I launched the script, allowing me to select what device I wanted to manage and correctly allowed me to disable the touchpad without affecting the mouse.
          – On my 32 bits laptop – I can manage the touchpad, but the hardware seems not to support some functions, like reverse scrolling- as it should be, I can’t make any selection about features that are not available.

I think the GUI is as clear as possible, even for people that have very little knowledge about computers- as long as people can read the language the GUI is in and know how to use a mouse or touchpad, they will understand how everything works. Also, the fact that the GUI is compact allowed me to easily run on the netbook, with a 600 pixels high screen comfortably (just as I intended). In all, I’m quite pleased with the script and it’s GUI- just like antiX: it’s simple, uses few resources, gets the job done.

@Mr Masinick – I did not have time to check if I can disable the touchpad while typing. If I get around to that and I can make that feature work, I will try to add it to the GUI, if possible- just to have parity with as many ds-mouse features as possible (if that does not take that much of my time).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
          caprea

did not have time to check if I can disable the touchpad while typing

libinput disables the touchpad when typing by default, afaik, someone correct this please if its wrong.Many thanks PPC for your work on device-manager.

Edit:However, there may be reasons for some software to turn this behavior off

From my laptop

$  xinput list
            ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
            ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎜   ↳ PixArt USB Optical Mouse                	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎜   ↳ Synaptics tm2964-001                    	id=12	[slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                   	id=13	[slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
                ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
                ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                  	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]

$  xinput list-props 12
            Device 'Synaptics tm2964-001':
            	Device Enabled (176):	1
            	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (178):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
            	libinput Tapping Enabled (339):	1
            ---------cut out---------
               libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (316):	0
            	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (317):	0
            	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled (347):	1
            	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled Default (348):	1
            	libinput Scroll Methods Available (318):	1, 1, 0
            	libinput Scroll Method Enabled (319):	1, 0, 0

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by caprea.
            PPC

libinput Disable While Typing Enabled

Many thanks for that! My older 32bits laptop does not have that many settings available. Ao I’ll have to look for that on my newer netbook and test it. If it works on my hardware, I may try adding a toggle for that feature to the script (making it almost as complete as ds-mouse- in case you don’t tell, I had when a system loses a feature…)
              Even if my touchpad does not have that feature, it’s a bit trivial, adding it to the GUI. Doing that, and checking usually takes me about 20 minutes or so.

P.

PPC

@caprea (and everyone else with a modern touchpad):
                Please try out this version of the script. I can’t test the new feature that *should* allow to enable/disable automatic disabling the touchpad while typing…

Also: added an icon and a basic tooltip to the “apply” button and also turned a couple of strings into translatable variables; moved all those variables to the top of the script, so they are easier to find.

P.

Brian Masinick

I just compared (antix_pointing_device_manager_auto-TESTING-translatable – Mar. 10) to (antix_pointing_device_managerTESTING-v6 – Mar. 12). The latest one performs well for both the Touchpad and the USB Mouse, whereas the previous one with the TESTING-translatable – Mar. 10 did not work when I changed the speed on the Touchpad, so there has been an improvement in functionality; both have consistently been able to enable or disable the click, but I had not previously noticed the speed issue on the one from two days ago. Anyway, it’s really looking good now as far as enable, disable, set acceleration and set speed; all of these work well! I slowed both the touchpad and the mouse to a very slow crawl, and sped them up, though I didn’t stick with anything super fast, just checked that it could be increased and the answer was YES! Looking good!

--
                  Brian Masinick

caprea

*should* allow to enable/disable automatic disabling the touchpad while typing

Very nice, works perfectly.
                    All in all, this is a successful tool, looks good and is clearly arranged and it works.

Robin

@PPC Can confirm what Caprea has stated above, have just tested v.6, and it works great and looks great, feels good when using. Many thanks!

Tiny issue still left: I get an error now on console output when running it, and one of the pulldown fields in the GUI has no content and no label:
                      But this very field isn’t expected to work here on this device anyway, since there is no touchpad. So everything is fine, even when throwing these errors:

./antix_pointing_device_managerTESTING-v6: Zeile 197: [: : Ganzzahliger Ausdruck erwartet.
                      ./antix_pointing_device_managerTESTING-v6: Zeile 198: [: : Ganzzahliger Ausdruck erwartet.

Looks like some of the testing conditions have an issue. I reckon you just try to test a non declared variable against a fixed value. Just declare it before using it in the testing expression, and everything will be fine.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

@Robin – I’m quite busy, and I spent more time that what I expected on this script- it now includes all the features that I think it requires in order to be a complete replacement for antiX systems that don’t include synaptics (i.e antiX 23.X). Since the script is a GUI, I’m not worried about the “errors” it spits when trying to parse features that the hardware does not have available. It’s meant to be run from Control Centre or the menu, so “regular” users won’t see those errors. If it’s to be included in antiX (that is up to @anticapitalista and you), all it’s required is to put it up for localization in transifex, and a .desktop file (the one ds-mouse uses can be easily adapted, I think).
                        If it’s adopted into antix, the .deb package that includes it should include “xinput” as a dependency, so it works “out of the box”, at least until Dave comes up with a better alternative…

@Dave – I don’t know if you really are still working on an improved version of ds-mouse, but I think that would be just duplicating all the work that went into this script, that basically replicates what ds-mouse does, using xinput and in a more “compact” GUI. I do miss a slider for numeric values, but I like that my proposed script does not require scrolling down a very tall window, even on a netbook with a tiny screen- this makes it extremely easy to use.

Proposal – if this script is to be adopted in antiX, I do think it’s name can be simplified, like the GUI MX Linux uses for the same end and it can be renamed something like “Mouse and Touchpad Manager” – most people will instantly understand what it does, right? The title of the window is stored on a single variable called $window_title. Feel free to rename the script (and improve it).

P.

PPC

@anticapitalista – I just contacted Dave, and he told me there’s no timeline to finish ds-mouse replacement. I suggest, for now, replacing, in antiX 23, ds-mouse for some version of my proposed script, so users can still have a simple GUI to manage pointing devices – if you want to do so… Either way, my script is done, it requires only localization (I can’t use the same exact strings ds-mouse uses, sorry)

P.

Robin

it requires only localization

@PPC: I’ve completed the translation with the dev notes in your script, changed it to new gettext style and extracted the strings to a pot file. Please check appended .zip
                            If everything is fine with it I’ll upload it to transifex.
                            Textdomain is antiX-pdm, so I renamed the scriptfile to match it. If you don’t like the abbreviation feel free to select another one and change it in script and translation template.

———————
                            Update: Resource is present at transifex now: https://app.transifex.com/anticapitalista/antix-development/antix-pointing-device-manager/

Attachments:

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

marcelocripe

Thank you very much Robin and PPC for your work.

Brian Masinick

@Robin, @PPC, and @MarceloCripe (and other people who use translated text in the tools), please collectively ensure that all is well, then I think it may be helpful to create one final tool with all the components together, test it and then recommend it as the tool for devices that use input. For equipment that still uses synaptics for pointer touchpad devices the technology works but the synaptics driver is not supported in future software.

These matters will continue in future software and synaptics will not be a supported technology.

People affected by this will have to consider what their options are. Note that a USB mouse is a solid option for replacement for the touchpad.

--
                                Brian Masinick

BobC

I thought it was just a hardware glitch until a 2nd laptop had touchpad problems… But then I found it didn’t have the problem if I booted antiX-19.2 or Devuan. I’ll give this a try. I noticed its been a couple months since this was discussed. Sorry, still involved in a rough system install so not paying enough attention to things here.

Has this been added to standard antiX since then?

Thanks to all that have put effort into it!

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 105 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.