Release recommendation: Usability improvements

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-19 “Marielle Franco, Hannie Schaft, Manolis Glezos” Release recommendation: Usability improvements

• This topic has 50 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated Jan 2-9:05 pm by skidoo.
Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Not everyone defaults to IceWM. They may want all the conky info in a fluxbox/JWM ‘desktop’ OOTB.

Yet another legitimate reason why “We do what we do”.

I know that the many comments and thoughts have been read and considered; some may result in a few feature changes, a few others may result in the availability of optional packages and others will not be chosen, either because of resources available and still others because of design and development preference.

I respect the many comments, reasons, options and opinions. What gets done is the choice of those who do the work.

I’ve also commented more than once that people are free to use any free components here and create their own work. If it’s only for yourself you don’t have to say or do anything. If it’s shared you have to properly cite anything you are using in code or tools but you are free to do so, according to properly citing the works used and the licensing specifics.

Recall also that the early antiX work grew out of work from Debian and MEPIS. I’ve seen specific tools come from a variety of places and they are properly cited. Some software has been rewritten entirely and other parts simply come from other places. Your own work can evolve in a similar way or you can simply use what is provided along with your own personal customized look, feel and choice of software applications.

Brian Masinick

skidooskidoo

probably doesn’t match “usability” topic title, but…

The currently-used default boot (splash?) background image displays an “earth” which winds up as a blurred egg shape when stretched-to-fit a 16:9 screen.

Attached to this post is a reworked 10kb “earthless” image which might serve as a suitable replacement.

edit:
    wow, all “stars” except two disappear from view when the image is scaled down to fit the width of the attachement preview box

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by skidoo.
    Attachments:

XecureXecure

I think the planet is important for the dev team.
    From a comment by anticapitalista on the antiX facebook group:

The existing logo attempts to show the word antiX going around the globe. So any new improvements on that idea would be nice to see.

That is probably why all the logo ideas we had a year or two ago were shut down.

But, but, but…

skidoo is correct that the screen ratio of width to height between the screen itself and the pic needs to be the same or it will appear as an egg rather than a globe.

There almost needs to be 2 different images (because there are 2 common ratios) or a way to convert it.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

I like this one too; doesn’t have to be part of the “standard”, distributed art work to enjoy it and download it.
    I’ve also used nature scene images from places like the Cumberland Falls (Kentucky, USA) and other miscellaneous works. Nice stuff here; added to my “collection”.

Brian Masinick

skidooskidoo

There almost needs to be 2 different images

Same pic gets reused in various places.
    IIRC, for “splasht” (or tsplash, or whatever name for the boot splash screen), various “sized” image variants are indeed shipped ~~ that’s partly why it’s important to keep the filesize small.

FWIW, I have no particular love for that 10k imagefile I attached. It was just a quick edit ~~ lasso the globe, repeatdly gimp filter “distort:pinch” and I left in place the resulting “smear” (which, conveniently, kindasorta looked like a comet).

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.