[Solved] Remaping Fn keys for sound

Forum Forums General Hardware [Solved] Remaping Fn keys for sound

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated May 22-8:24 am by zeh.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

The keys config file shows

#Set Volume
    key “Alt+Ctrl+KP_Divide” amixer -c 0 set Master 5-# lower volume
    key “Alt+Ctrl+KP_Multiply” amixer -c 0 set Master 5+ # raise volume
    key “Alt+Ctrl+KP_Add” amixer sset Master toggle # mute on/off

Since my computer (Toshiba Sattellite L40) doesn’t have a separate numeric KeyPad I can’t control sound via keys.
    Is there a way of remapping the control of sound to the regular up and down keys? They both show the speaker sign.
    What would I have to replace “KP_Divide”, “KP_Multiply”, and “KP_Add” with to remap this feature?

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by zeh.
    • This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by zeh.

Are you using IceWM and antiX19?

If so, while playing video or music, try holding down the FN key and press each of the three sound keys to see if they work.

The default mapping includes those key functions if your PC is supported.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by BobC.

I’m using antiX Testing; and IceWM, yes. Sorry for forgetting to mention it.
    I thought the issue would be related to the absence of the numeric keypad in my machine. In face of your comment I’ve installed antiX19 to check if the arrow keys would work for sound – they do.
    So the issue is Testing related and I’ve been warned that there are some drawbacks in using Testing. That’s OK, I just accept it.
    Anyway, got surprised to see that both keys config files (antiX Testing’s and antiX19’s) show exactly the same strings for sound config (as in my initial post), but behave differently. Strange for a lay guy in IT like myself, even if probably trivial for any knowledgeable person in the matter.
    Thanks for the heads up.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by zeh.

I tend to run stable, and then implement particular things from testing as needed.

Testing is a dice roll, IMO. It’s fine for messing around, but not so good for a daily driver.

To each his own I guess…

I started to run MX, decided to help translating it to my language and in the process became aware that the two distros have their Transifex “resources” for translation in the same project. So, I’ve installed antiX along with MX to check the entries to be translated in their context as much as possible and check the translations afterwards. With this I’ve learned to appreciate the simplicity and straightforwardness of antiX and started using it more than MX. At a certain point I’ve decided to upgrade my stable installation to Sid, when I saw anticapitalista’s instructions on how to do it. I’ve also seen dolphin_oracle warning somewhere that sooner or later Sid breaks. When it did I’ve decided to install Testing just to see if I’d notice any difference between them and if it would keep running for a longer time. I’ve got my data in a separate partition. I’m a plain user (no IT knowledge whatsoever) but I got curious about the use of the system, particularly when I’ve learned how to make basic configurations through config files. Learning from zero, so learning very slowly…
    Now I keep MX, antiX-19 and Testing. Will keep using Testing for a while, I guess, just for the sake of it being “testing”, and using MX and antiX-19 for following translations and having a safe resource to get to if/when the need comes.

So the issue is Testing related and I’ve been warned that there are some drawbacks in using Testing.

Wrong assumption. I’ve just left-clicked on the icon (hadn’t thought of doing it before) and got a short menu. A click on ‘preferences’ opens a settings window were the hotkeys can be de/activated. Nothing to do with Testing, it was just a matter of configuration hidden behind the sound icon and that left-click.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.