Remove 'Set Repository' option

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Remove 'Set Repository' option

• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Mar 29-4:24 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

As you all probably know, if you click on the gui installer, you get a pop up asking if you want to change to testing or sid.
    Although it clearly says on that pop-up screen that choosing testing or sid is for Experts, it seems that some new users are choosing testing or sid and ending up with a broken install (quite often due to nosystemd not always being in sync with changes made in testing or sid).

So, shall we remove that pop-up and let expert users manually make changes to the repos if they want to use testing or sid?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by anticapitalista.
    • This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    DaveDave

I vote yes.
    Also are we utilizing the repo manager from mx? If so maybe a check box could be added to change the repo to testing or sid

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

capreacaprea

I see it the same way, better remove ‘Set Repository’ option.
    Changing to testing or sid can be done after installation if you like so.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Well. We got newbies on most everything. From persist usb to core installs straight from Windows with no idea of linux file structure or even how to maneuver in a terminal. Nobody listens now a days anyways on the internet when you say pick up the pieces or for experts only. Just look at Kali and other penetration distros.

It won’t effect me any because I have settled into stable AntiX/Debian land as I don’t spend time on tweaking Window Managers and Teaskbars anymore like I used to.
    So however the shoe drops. I can roll with it.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin

Seems an OK idea.

Vote 4 removal.

I favor the suggestion to remove the popup from installer workflow.
    It’s still a welcome utility, though. When manually editing the sources lists, I have sometimes forgotten to append “non-free” or “dev” where appropriate.

christophechristophe

I’m new, but for what it’s worth: let experts prove it by doing it themselves.

If they’re successful, give them a an achievement patch to sew onto their antiX-scout uniform! 😉

(Perhaps add an FAQ entry to guide them, if that’s valuable. It seems only future-experts read FAQs.)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by christophe.

@ skidoo:

It’s still a welcome utility…

One could also keep it there, but hide it behind some button, somth’n like “Expert options” — without asking for: “Do you want A or B?”

a related note (intentionally did not start a separate topic)

Adding a line to /etc/pam.d/slim
    should prevent young’uns from logging into graphical desktop session “just becuz”
    auth required pam_succeed_if.so user != root quiet_success

We’ve frequently seen help requests which, after back-n-forth untangling, the reported problem is found to be a consequence of this “just becuz” behavior.

ileile

Hello anticapitalista and hello everyone
    Leave that pop-up. Its presence is a difference to set antiX apart from other os choices. It demonstrates a difference.
    To experience a fail of install marked for experienced or expert is not such a bad thing?
    Leave the pop-up because only the users who manually verify changes to the repos will get the achievement award anyway.

Thank You for asking, anticapitalista. (is a regular user supposed to refrain from posting in the dev forum? if so, then please forgive the intrusion.)
    nice badge patch, cristophe. (maybe we should not ask why you have Two.)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

For antiX-17.4.1, I removed the pop-up.
    I guess that might provide feedback (positive or negative).
    For antiX-19, we can make our final decision later.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.