Repair / Recovery from Antix live

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” Repair / Recovery from Antix live

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Nov 15-11:28 am by ModdIt.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fantomas

Hi,
    How can I recover / repair a broken Antix with live USB/CD?
    I Mixed Up stable/unstable during apt (dist-)upgrade and now I can’t Login anymore, slim doesn’t start …
    I’d Like to recover Antix Installation by installing over the existing system without loosing all my configuration. Home partion ist save.
    Ist there a solution for that?

Thank you

Thomas

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Solution 1,
    Sould be to reinstall from the backup ISO you created before making repo change to testing. :-).

PLEASE, all users before changing repos from Stable to Testing or Unstable make a Backup, put it
    on a stick, boot and confirm it works as expected. It is so easy using antiX tools and can save
    you a lot of headeache.

You can reinstall and be back at work in a very short time that way.

Present situation now.
    If you do not have a backup of home make one, using a live stick copy your data and .files
    for your preferred WM to LiveUSB Storage or a second device. Cou can usually also carry over
    claws hidden folders, may not work if claws version changed. You can if you wish copy
    all contents of home folder, if username stays same it will probably be ok.

You can reinstall keeping home if it is on a separate partition.

Reinstall your antiX version, copy in your saved files from home.
    Reinstall your manually installed options with Packet installer Synaptic console according to
    your preference.

When you are finished MAKE A SNAPSHOT ISO, put it on a stick confirm it is ok.
    Make a backup of that ISO and put it in a safe place.

I always recommend keeping home separate, if you do a semi automated install the installer has a
    lider for allocating space to separate home. I have a huge root, about 24GB rest swap and then home on an ssd.
    Very easy install.
    More complicated with multiple partitions and/or dual boot, use Gparted then the installer seems easiest.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by ModdIt.
    Fantomas
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for your quick response.
    I hadn’t changed the sourcee to testing. After apt upgrade sources list was changed to testing – but not by me 🙁
    Anyway – as I have Home folder saved I will die a Clean Install of Version 21 🙂
    And then I will make an iso-snapshot as you recommended.

Thank you for your help

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for your quick response.
    I hadn’t changed the sourcee to testing. After apt upgrade sources list was changed to testing – but not by me…
    Thank you for your help

Must be your pet since antiX certainly did not change it.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Maybe you can help us to understand how this happened.

Please tell us exactly what you had done just before and to do the actual upgrade,
    Had you been playing with synaptic ?. Or installed software from testing deliberately.

I do that in very specific cases,
    it must be done with care, never forget to do an apt update after changing sources back to stable.
    Should that update be forgotten and an upgrade performed the fun starts.

Apt/Synaptic/Dpkg, management system still refers to the testing package list as loaded
    until it is deliberately replaced by stable.

you must have somehow changed the repos. Or have in some way induced a change.

You can often run Testing without issues, but try it on purpose rather than by accident.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.