[request] please make a version with pcmanfm

Forum Forums antiX-development antiX Respins [request] please make a version with pcmanfm

• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 30-1:53 am by melodie.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ricewithpig

pcmanfm is the best file manager ever and so why not make a version with it like an other option to rox o spacefm

oops
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I prefer Thunar 😉

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Its not hard to install PCManFM.

Go to the Package installer click File managers, click PCManFM to mark it, then click install.

To install Thunar by itself you should use Synaptic or apt.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

PS: I see you posted this under Respins. To make a respin of this go to the Control Centre Maintenance tab and make an ISO Snapshot, selecting General.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by BobC.
    LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

Doesn’t install in alpha1.Not even with synaptic. I been using Thunar since Noah was a boat captain

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by LikkMii.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

The op didn’t ask about alpha1. I was able to install it on alpha1 with the following code via terminal:
    sudo apt update && sudo apt install pcmanfm

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Doesn’t install in alpha1.Not even with synaptic

Installs just fine on my version.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

LikkMii
    Helpful
    Up

Hmmm. I jut pulled a terminal and installed it…no problem ? Winder why the antiX software in control nor synaptic pulled it down. Oh well. It’s in. I always like having a couple terminals on the system i opened Xterm and typed pcmanfm and got a bunch of warnings to use another terminal.
    Already added the icon to icepanel. It gave me a folder instead of thunars idiotic ring gear.
    Stupid me. I always go to the termial first but like playing in your control panel. It’s as cool as Sparkys aptus

melodie
    Helpful
    Up

Now there are two respins with PCManFM! 😍 One with a kernel i486 and one for the 64bits computers! https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/bento-antix-i486-may-23rd-2021

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/bento-antix-amd64-may-24th-2021

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by melodie.
    olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

pcmanfm is the best file manager ever

I am curious what is there in Pcmanfm that makes it the best ever file manager in your opinion…
    At some point I did test Pcmanfm and in my opinion it was not something I would use. The main reason to disqualify Pcmanfm for my use: It does not seem capable of addressing network shares. On the other hand SpaceFM supports network shares nicely. In fact my opinion is that SpaceFM is a very capable file manager putting to shame some commonly used file managers coming with desktop managers.

Being capable of supporting network shares (network places as some are using such terminology) is key in my qualification in addition to typical functionality in handling local file systems.
    Native support for network places in some known file managers coming with DEs, such as Nautilus, is lame in spite of looking easy. If you do benchmark testing performance of writing to network shares you quickly realize performance is dismal. On the other hand performance of SpaceFM on network shares is outstanding, according to my testing.
    Please someone correct me if I am wrong in my explanation: This superiority of SpaceFM in handling network performance is thanks to use of explicit CIFS protocol, while many ‘grown’ file managers are using inefficient gvfs workaround. At least this is what I have seen as explanation in my web searches…
    In any case, just MHO…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by olsztyn.
    userzero
    Helpful
    Up

SpaceFM = ugly

melodie
    Helpful
    Up

The main reason to disqualify Pcmanfm for my use: It does not seem capable of addressing network shares.

you might try gigolo along with PCManFM. I haven’t had the need for such shares in a while, I use more sshfs or ssh once a while, but I remember it solved it completely, once the connection was done, I could see the related network in the left side of the file manager.
    Also in PCManFM you can visit the menu “Go to > Networks” and you land at the URI ” network:/// ” (Probably meant to use Samba to reach to Windows boxes, but anyway gigolo would let you connect your regular other linux boxes).

What I like about PCManFM : it is simple to use and to configure, has anything I need, even dual side panel when needed : when you have two tabs open, you can hit “F3” or use the “View > Double Pane Mode” entry menu. (I guess the names in English, I have it in French).

There are a few more things others appreciate. There is a list here : https://wiki.lxde.org/en/PCManFM and modules you can write an load (see in Edition > Preferences).

🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.