Restarting IceWM

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Restarting IceWM

• This topic has 11 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 3-10:50 am by Shay.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    macondomacondo

I found a new way in the internet of restarting IceWM (press F10)
    WITHOUT going to the main menu.

Edit your .icewm/keys and leave it looking like this:

key "F1" lxterminal
        key "F2" xfe
        key "Ctrl+f" firefox
        key "F7" mirage
        key "F8" hexchat
        key "F9" libreoffice
        key "Print" lxterminal -e scrot -cd 10
        key "F10" sh -c 'kill -s HUP $(pgrep -u <code>whoami</code> '\''icewm$'\'')' # restarts icewm

#Sound
        key "Ctrl+Down"      aumix -v -5             # lower volume
        key "Ctrl+Up"    aumix -v +5             # raise volume
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by macondo.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by macondo.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by rokytnji.

antiX Core 64 Bit Runit IceWM

"Sometimes a man finds his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Killing the icewm process associated with your login ID and binding the command to the F10 key is an interesting way to do this.

Personally, I have not had any issues using the default method – you can restart IceWM from a menu selection – I believe it’s on the logout menu if I remember correctly. I primarily reset IceWM when I’m first configuring it. Typically I set up my instance of IceWM to have four available windows, and sometimes I’ll explicitly name them, and I’ll also change the default appearance of the Clock on the task bar, then restart IceWM.

Nice to have a description of some key sequences you can use with IceWM; I occasionally change default key settings in window manager or desktop environment configurations, so it’s handy to have an example here. I see the ones you set probably coincide with the applications that you like to use with antiX, so that’s a good example, thanks! 🙂

Brian Masinick

This is helpful to know. Thanks

Dell Latitude D610 laptop with antiX 19.3 (32 bit)
    Dell Latitude D620 laptop with antiX 19.3 (64 bit)

I received an email notice of this thread. In the email, there is an additional posts. Is there a problem with this forum: See below:

macondo wrote:

Killing the icewm process associated with your login ID and binding the command to the F10 key is an interesting way to do this.

Personally, I have not had any issues using the default method – you can restart IceWM from a menu selection – I believe it’s on the logout menu if I remember correctly. I primarily reset IceWM when I’m first configuring it. Typically I set up my instance of IceWM to have four available windows, and sometimes I’ll explicitly name them, and I’ll also change the default appearance of the Clock on the task bar, then restart IceWM.

Nice to have a description of some key sequences you can use with IceWM; I occasionally change default key settings in window manager or desktop environment configurations, so it’s handy to have an example here. I see the ones you set probably coincide with the applications that you like to use with antiX, so that’s a good example, thanks!

I’m glad you appreciate this.
    There are 2 ways of doing this in IceWM by default, as you well know:
    1. Going to the menu and clicking on Restarting IceWM and
    2. Pressing C-A Delete + r(estart)
    The antiX way is to just go to the menu completely eliminating the second default option.
    Pointing and clicking is not my forté, speed is, so when I found this in the internet, it solved my problem.
    I never understood the antiX reasoning forcing the user to use the menu, when the keybindings (C-A+r) was available by default.
    Your way there is only one way of doing it.

Post Link: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/restart-icewm/#post-1496

Dell Latitude D610 laptop with antiX 19.3 (32 bit)
    Dell Latitude D620 laptop with antiX 19.3 (64 bit)

” forcing the user to use the menu, when the keybindings (C-A+r) was available by default.”

^— this is incorrect.

First of all, please go look at what icewm keybinds exist “by default”:
    github.com/bbidulock/icewm/blob/325b81c316aa7b4843e45f81bac60829ebee268d/lib/keys.in
    keys.in (source file residing in icewm project github repository)
    and understand that antiX provides a curated, expanded, icewm “keys” file:
    github.com/antiX-Linux/desktop-defaults-icewm/blob/master/skel/.icewm/keys
    antiX preconfigured icewm “keys” file

Second, please consider why (possibly) many of those “suggested” keybinds are (as shipped) outcommented.
    Why? Possibly because many of those keybinds would be surprising and/or dangerous if a fat-fingered new user accidentally, or unwittingly, activated them.

Third, exposing “session exit” and various other commands via the desktop menu aids discoverability. A user is not “forced” to click on a menu item.

(earlier post ~~ #1514 ~~ contained hyperlinks and apparently got trashed when I edited and attempted to resubmit it)

/etc/skel/.icewm/keys

Made my changes.

Yeah, individuals can do whatever they want with keystroke sequences as long as they are equipped and prepared to use them appropriately and also that the choices do not interfere in any way with core functionality. Given that this work is free software, of course we can do as we please, but from a support standpoint, encouraging anything other than “best practices” is not in the best interests of the project or the community. As long as we all understand this, then fooling around with keystrokes is a personal decision, not something endorsed specifically by any project member; customization is available for people to use, as long as they know how to use it and are able to test and update without having to request support or changes that result from such activities.

Brian Masinick

/etc/skel/.icewm/keys

Made my changes.

Yeah, that’s where the skeleton version of the key codes file is located; typically you copy that to your local directory ~/.icewm and customize your favorite keystrokes there.

Brian Masinick

macondomacondo

greyowl: after posting an answer to Brian’s, my post completely disappeared, how you got it, is beyond me. So yes, there is problem.

As to the elimination of the default C-A-Delete+r way of restarting icewm, so be it, not worth discussing imo, F10 looks good.
    Let sleeping dogs lie…

antiX Core 64 Bit Runit IceWM

"Sometimes a man finds his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."

Thank you Masinick,

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Shay.

Thank you Masinick,

You are welcome!

Lots of ways to do things.

Just remember that something that works great for one person, while possibly useful to someone else, still doesn’t always make it a “best practice”.

It’s OK to share ideas and thoughts nevertheless. I think that even if we mention “better ways” of doing things, the discussion can still be “fruitful”, even if it results in a different solution.

Good conversation. Let’s keep it up and use our collective experience to help each other learn.

Brian Masinick

key "Ctrl+Alt+s" antixscreenshot.sh
     needs to be added under Wingrid

I agree what works for one of us, may be like poison for other folks.

‘seems the use the ‘instead of the [code] tag now’ and hand coding seems not to work!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.