Rocking urxvt with style!

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Rocking urxvt with style!

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by rokytnji Nov 1-9:37 am.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Credit goes to Bitjam.

Uxrvt is a fabulous, highly configurable, terminal program with many advanced features. Sometimes configuring it can be a pain so I’ve come up with what I hope is a decent default configuration and an easy way to change the default configuration. This is a simple command line program but I think it would be easy to write a GUI wrapper for it if people were interested.

Everything you need is in the attached tarball. Here are the installation instructions:

Code: Select all

tar xzf urxvt-style-0.01.tar.gz
    cd urxvt-style
    sudo cp -a xtra/* /
    cp xtra/skel/.Xresources ~
    cp -a xtra/skel/.config/* ~/.config/

Installing on a LiveUSB is even easier:

tar xzf urxvt-style-0.01.tar.gz
    cd urxvt-style
    sudo cp -a xtra /live/boot-dev/antiX

The next time you boot the files will get installed where they belong.

Everything is done with the urxvt-style program. It lets you change the defaults and then launches a new instance of urxvt with the new defaults. You can control the font size, the background, the color scheme the starting geometry, and a couple of special features called “tabbed” and “font-size”. The tabbed feature lets you have multiple tabs in a single urxvt window. The font-size feature lets you change the font size with the key combos ctrl-shift-up/down.

The first time you run urxvt-style, the ~/.Xresources file needs to have been loaded. I hope to have this done automatically in the next release of antiX. In the meantime, just start with the “reset” style. You only need to do this the first time you run urxvt-style after X has started.

Examples:

urxvt-style reset zenburn transbg tabbed size16 medium

This first loads the ~/.Xresources file, then sets the color-scheme to zenburn with a transparent background. Then it enables tabs, sets the font size to 16 and the window size to medium.

urxvt-style sorbet size12 large

This uses the sorbet color scheme with a size 12 font in a large window.

Non-conflicting styles accumulate so if you run the two commands above in order then the second one will inherit the transparent background and the tabbed feature. But the font size, window size, and color scheme get overwritten with the new parameters. If you don’t want to inherit what you’ve done previously then start with the “reset” style which starts over with a clean slate using only the parameters in the ~/.Xresources file.

Finally, when you get a default configuration you like, use the “save” style to update the ~/.Xresources file with the new configuration you’ve created.

urxvt-style save

Use -h or –help to get usage which includes a description of all the available styles.

I’ve also include three little programs: ansi-bars, ansi-colors, and ansi-tput that will show you what the current color-scheme looks like. I’ve attached a few screen shots which show the three existing color schemes. The little urxvt-style program is seductively easy to extend but perhaps it already has too many options. I think it is a lot of fun to play with and may serve as a gentle introduction to configuring urxvt. Of course, you are free to edit the ~/.Xresources file manually if you want. This should not conflict with the urxvt-style program.

If you want to extend urxvt-style, simply add your own style files to the /usr/local/lib/urxvt/Xresources directory.

colors-sorbet.png
    colors-default.png

urxvt-style-0.01.tar.gz (12.56 KiB)

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

ERROR: Your reply cannot be empty.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.