Solved – Rox-Filer won’t start application

Tagged: 

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated May 8-7:31 am by Xecure.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fantomas

Hi,
    I have a problem in rox-filer:
    If I navigate to /usr/bin and try to start geary for example I only get error message:

Es ist keine Startaktion für Dateien dieses Typs (application/x-sharedlib) definiert
    what means “Type is unknown”

when I start it in terminal it will proceed normal. I tried it with other programs – same result.

It is also not possible to drag it to the desktop. Same error message as above.

Linux antix2 4.9.212-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 31 22:19:43 EET 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Does anyone has a clue?

Thanks
    Thomas

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Fantomas.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

Why don’t you start it from the menu under Internet?
    What if you drag /usr/share/applications/geary.desktop file to Desktop?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

If I navigate to /usr/bin and try to start geary for example

The files in /usr/bin/ may be binaries, python scripts, bash scripts, etc. You wouldn’t normally execute them directly from the file manager. Also, some of them will not have a type, so it will be impossible for ROX to know how to execute them.
    Most programs (that are not meant to be executed directly from terminal) should have a launcher in /usr/share/applications/. You can search for installed programs there.
    Normally, a .desktop file will contain the instructions for the system to correctly launch/execute the program, so copying this launcher to the desktop is the ideal way to create desktop launchers. You should be able to see the programs and corresponding Exec instructions in App Select, for example.

It is also not possible to drag it to the desktop.

You shouldn’t drag them to the desktop. They must remain on the /usr/bin/ folder if you want them to work properly. If you really need a program to launch from the desktop and cannot find them in /usr/share/applications, then you can create your own customized .desktop file, store it in ~/Desktop/ (for example), and “drag” it to the Desktop (if using ROX desktop).

Fantomas
    Helpful
    Up

Oh,
    I was just looking at the wrong place.

Thank you both 🙂

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

No problem. We all learn.

Good thing we can solve these kind of questions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.