Rox-IceWM – Second USB flash drive cannot be accessed subsequently

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo Rox-IceWM – Second USB flash drive cannot be accessed subsequently

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated Feb 9-1:14 pm by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    tamix

RO LiveUSB antiX-23_x64-full (sysv)
      RO LiveUSB antiX-21_x64-full (sysv)

It occurs in antiX-23, but not in antiX-21. On desktop Rox-IceWM but not on zzz-IceWM.

Apparently this occurs only when the two USB flash drives have the same brand/model as shown below:

Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 6 rev: 3.0 speed: 5 Gb/s
        chip-ID: 1d6b:0003 class-ID: 0900
      Device-1: 2-1:3 info: Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3/G4/SE9 G2/50
        type: Mass Storage driver: usb-storage interfaces: 1 rev: 3.2 speed: 5 Gb/s
        power: 296mA chip-ID: 0951:1666 class-ID: 0806 serial: <filter>
      Device-2: 2-4:2 info: Kingston DataTraveler 100 G3/G4/SE9 G2/50
        type: Mass Storage driver: usb-storage interfaces: 1 rev: 3.2 speed: 5 Gb/s
        power: 296mA chip-ID: 0951:1666 class-ID: 0806 serial: <filter>

I have attached below a set of screenshots screenshots-usb-drive-rox1.zip to illustrate the problem in three sequences (T1, T2, T3).

A basic test consists in trying to access a simple file stored in two USB flash drives using the path: mountpoint -> directory -> file.

When the two USB flash drives are concurrently plugged in two slots respectively, each of them can give a correct access to the files. Both mountpoint and directory tree are correct (see sequence T1-*.png).

If the same USB flash drives are plugged/unplugged one after the other, only the first one allows a correct access. The mountpoint and directory tree are correct: USB1 -> ABC -> abc.txt (see sequence T2-*.png).

Now that 1st USB flash drive is unmounted/removed.

An attempt to plug in and mount the second USB flash drive is correct but not its directory tree. The mountpoint is correct: USB2 but the directory tree displayed is a duplicate of the previous USB flash drive instead. Any click on that erroneous directory icon generates an error message box so DEF and def.txt cannot be accessed (see sequence T3-*.png).

Now that 2nd USB flash drive is unmounted/removed.

If ever we come back to the first USB flash drive: mountpoint -> directory -> file, then the test is correctly run as expected: USB1 -> ABC -> abc.txt

automount is not in cause. I have run my tests using pmount/pumount exclusively.
      unplugdrive is not in cause.
      – downgrading rox-filer from 1:2.11-7.0antix2 to 1:2.11-5.0antix2 gives no positive result.

It seems a wrong buffer mechanism at runtime is at stake (not refreshed?, not cleaned?) in the Rox-IceWM environment.

Finally to get access to the 2nd USB flash drive, I found only the alternatives shown below, provided that it is plugged in just after (in which case the flash drive USB1 in turn will not be accessed subsequently):

– logout/login
      – reload the Rox-IceWM desktop
      – kill/start the rox process

Any idea?

They call me anartista.
      « If the users don't control the program, the program controls the users. » - rms

Xunzi_23

Hi tamix, on a system very similar but not same as yours.

Bus 002 Device 012: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive
        Bus 002 Device 013: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive

Using above Intenso Rainbow line sticks, rox Icewm on antiX 23 runit
        I was unable to replicate the issue.
        I have no sysV setup at present and busy so no time to do an experimental
        install.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Xunzi_23.
      Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.