Rox/SpaceFM desktop and high RAM usage

Forum Forums General Software Rox/SpaceFM desktop and high RAM usage

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dave Jul 14-4:14 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

For those testing antiX-19 and comparing it with antiX-17 series, one obvious difference is the increase in RAM usage when using either Rox or SpaceFM desktop.
    On the 64 bit iso, according to ps_mem.py on my box, rox desktop is using over 60MB while on antiX-17 it was around 20MB!
    Anyone have any idea why this is happening, and even better, a fix?

If you are really strapped for RAM, use an option that does not include Rox or SpaceFM desktop. (or use the 32 bit iso).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

Have not looked myself… but my immediate thought would be because the programs are older and using older libs that are no longer shared with other programs.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Xecure
    Xecure

Data from ps_mem.py
    In antiX-19b1 64 bits ROX uses 36.9 MB at startup, if the ROX pinboard is active.
    In antiX-19b2 64 bits ROX uses 62.9 MB at startup, if the ROX pinboard is active.

Continuing with Beta 2, if I reset the pinboard, ROX uses 36.9 again.
    Example for IceWM+ROX

rox --pinboard=
    rox --pinboard=antiX-icewm

I will install beta 1 again and update to latest packages to see if this continues to happen. In my not yet deleted beta1, I have no memory increase yet, but I still have to update these packages:

desktop-default-rox-antix
    desktop-session-antix
    faq-docs-antix
    set-dpi-antix
    slim
    streamlight-antix

I suspect one of them is the cause. I will update one by one and figure out which (if any) of these updates may be responsible.

Edit: In a new virtual machine, I installed antiX 19 beta 1 (64 bits). I updated all packages except the previously mentioned ones. Then updated one by one, rebooted, measured memory for rox in the main user’s account, created a new user, measured the memory for ROX with ps_mem.py, deleted the new user and repeated until all packages were updated. The result is that, at startup, everytime I got 20 Mb used by ROX. On the second user account I created each time, I achieved the same results until two of the updates made a background default that wasnt present on the system (the new lines background in beta 2). After replacing them for the Auditorio de Tenerife image, and rebooting, again ROX uses 20 MB of memory.

I will now test on a new install of Beta 2, but I am not as good as you. I don’t think i will be able to find anything by myself.
    Sorry for waisting your time.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Xecure. Reason: Update with results
    skidoo

BASELINE:
    Login to a rox-icewm session. ( rox-, and also repeat for spacefm- )
    Check the memory usage (ps_mem.py or whatever you’re using) attributed to the icon manager process.

TEST #1:
    login to a plain icewm session and manually start
    spacefm --desktop
    and/or
    then check the result (ps_mem.py or whatever you’re using)

TEST #2: ( rox-, and also repeat for spacefm- )
    login to a rox-icewm session and
    killall rox
    then, from terminal emulator commandline, manually launch
    and check the result (ps_mem.py or whatever you’re using)

TEST #3:
    login to a plain icewm session.
    Use DesktopMenu –} OtherDesktops –} rox-icewm
    ( or from terminal emulator commandline: /usr/local/lib/desktop-session/desktop-session-restart Rox-IceWM )
    to switch to a rox-icewm session.
    Check the result (ps_mem.py or whatever you’re using)

The results of these tests indicate that the high memory usage is related to launching the icon managers via desktop-session run

What has changed?
    For starters, GNU bash 5.0 may have introduced some incompatible changes/quirks…

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Thanks skidoo.

Another clue: If I remove wallpaper-antix, then the RAM goes down (for Rox desktop).

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Dave

I believe that the removal of wallpaper-antix is more coincidence then an actual problem there from what I can tell.

Desktop-session calls the pinboard (which sits around 42mb on my computer) and then wallpaper-antix essentially calls it a second time to change the wallpaper through rox-wallpaper causing an update to the configuration (which sets it to 71mb). You get the same if you boot a plain session and call rox from the command line twice. 1st time 41mb second time 70mb. What is interesting is that this stops after a second run and does not continue to increase.

Spacefm is the same in that the initial call is spacefm –desktop and that is followed by updating the wallpaper spacefm –set-wallpaper /path/to/image/file.

The call to the wallpaper app background script (desktop-session-wallpaper) is done to set feh in the background for conky and set the proper wallpaper if you switched sessions and have a different wallpaper in a different session (example rox-icewm to rox-jwm)

Also noticed that if you open roxterm to do the test, the numbers are automatically lower for rox by ~ 5mb

I am not certain what bit of code gets run when updating the wallpaper in rox or space and if that is intended or if they would be considered a memory leak. But being that it does not continually happen each time you rerun it I am leaning towards it not being a memory leak.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.