Running s6 on antiX

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Running s6 on antiX

• This topic has 22 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Mar 10-12:10 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista

@ProwlerGR, @eric @aitor and anyone else –

At the moment, antiX includes some packages that we build to include init.d and runit service files including some ‘core’ ones such as dbus, (e)udev.
      Is it better to also add s6 and 66 service/conf files to them or package them separately?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ProwlerGr

Seperately independently & cleanly.
        Arguably I’m thinking we should break down the s6-rc-services & s6-66-services to individual service packages (similar to Artix).
        I slapped them all together just to create this POC.

ProwlerGr

Basically as a distro it makes sense to plan and implement some s6-rc service bundles (or 66 trees) somelike as follows – or something similar:

1) boot – this bundle should contain all essential services to boot a system. This should be static & common on all antiX/MX flavors & should never be modified by users or packages.
          2) net – this should also be common across all antiX/MX flavours & essentially only controlled by the distro to get basic network functionality
          3) core – this should contain all services on the “core” flavor, strictly controlled by the distro.
          4) antix – this should contain all the remaining OOTB services (for antix full), and the last bundle that the distro needs to control
          5) misc – this is where the distro needs to encourage package(r)s to place their service scripts by default to get the default behviour. Users should be encouraged to not modify this manually (the package tools should enable or disable things on install)
          6) custom – this is the bundle that the sysadmins use o tailor their system to suit their indvidual needs
          7) user – this is where users & power users are encouraged to make modifications.

So when releasing a distro, you would target something like:
          antix net: the “default” bundle should contain bundles 1 & 2 (boot & net) (5, 6 & 7 to be also included but empty of contents OOTB)
          antix core: the “default” bundle should contain bundles 1,2 & 3 – (5, 6 & 7 to be also included but empty of contents OOTB)
          antix full: the “default” bundle should contain bundles 1,2 & 4 – (5, 6 & 7 to be also included but empty of contents OOTB)

Respins & custom versions would basically be expected to come with custom contents in bundles 5,6 & 7.

I take this back…
          With the new s6-rc_service-manager I have released for testing, only 2 bundles are included in the ruling “default” bundle:

“boot” : Contents of this bundle are essential oneshots NOT managed by the s6-rc_service manager (typically defined by the distro – only experienced users would want to modify & tailor manually to suit their specific needs on a system).

“antix-service-manager” : This is what is managed by the gui & where packaged scripts need to be placing their enablers (empty text files). Also note that best practise is for only atomic services (oneshots & longruns) to be included in the antix-service-manager, it is not currently possible to track the status of bundles with s6-rc.

As an example:
          There is a bundle called “samba” available (with atomic service contents: ‘smbd-srv’ – ‘smbd-log’ – ‘nmbd-srv’ – ‘nmbd-log’)
          Using the s6-rc_service_manager users would be expected to add the 4 atomic services (‘smbd-srv’ – ‘smbd-log’ – ‘nmbd-srv’ – ‘nmbd-log’) to their startup instead of “samba” if they want it samba services available at every boot (eg NAS server).
          Any other service that lists “samba” as a dependency would still bring up the the 4 atomic services as long as “samba” exists as a bundle in the compiled database even if “samba” or the 4 atomic services are not active (startup services).

I hope his makes better sense to anybody following this thread

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by ProwlerGr.
          ProwlerGr

Service manager ready for testing.
            I have opened a separate thread here

ProwlerGr

I have also made a significant update to my init-diversity-tools package today which controls the reboot – poweroff – shutdown options of each init.

Instead of stringing all commands, the scripts now attempt figure out which init variation is running & run relevant commands based on the conditions found.
              Parameters are also able to be passed now (eg ‘sudo shutdown -h -t 60 2’ while on sysvinit now works as the original sysvinit shutdown command, the same applies with relevant s6-rc & s6-66 arguments.

I understand these are features many users were requesting, keen to get feedback on this update.

Brian Masinick

@ProwlerGr mentioned: sudo shutdown -h -t 60 2

Does that mean that we can issue any of the shutdown variations, e.g.

sudo shutdown -r now # reboot
                sudo shutdown -hP now # poweroff
                sudo shutdown -h now # halt ?

That would be really helpful,

In addition to this, for quite some time I’ve routinely used alias commands to either
                reboot or poweroff; it would be REALLY nice for me to be able to use these too:
                alias rb=’sudo reboot’
                alias pow=’sudo poweroff’

By any chance are these available; if not, is that something that could be worked in, because
                I believe that integration of these services into antiX at some point would probably include any
                and all of these, or some way so that the current commands that run out of the Logout… option
                in the menu (or any of the other configurable methods) would continue to work.

Though I’ve already tested three of the builds that have been provided, the necessity to either
                rewrite my routines or rework my regular workflow to accomodate these things required me to
                spend much more time in post installation configuration on these builds, which impacted the
                amount of time I could spend on other activities; I appreciate these works, but for me to
                continue to use them I could really use additional features that integrate the new init
                diversity work more directly into the way our antiX releases work. For me that would
                greatly increase my continued involvement in the testing, promotion, writing, and collaboration
                in this work. I sincerely hope that is the direction in which things are moving; if so, I’m all
                in; if not, I may try them occasionally, but I’m also explaining that at least for my personal
                workflow, it literally takes hours to set things up, as opposed to a 5-15 minute install, run
                already prepared tools, and off I go, so I appreciate further integration into antiX and thank
                you for this work and further consideration.

--
                Brian Masinick

ProwlerGr

Does that mean that we can issue any of the shutdown variations, e.g.

Yes, these should work when booted to sysvinit

…I’m also explaining that at least for my personal
                  workflow, it literally takes hours to set things up…

Just running
                  sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade init-diversity-tools
                  on one of your current ‘init-diversity’ installs should allow you to use these.

No need to start from scratch on anything based on the 14/02 release

Brian Masinick

Thank you @ProwlerGr, that is good to know!

--
                    Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.