Safe Video and Failsafe Boot problems

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Safe Video and Failsafe Boot problems

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Oct 7-4:09 am by GeoffC.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    GeoffC

Recently I experienced video problems after trying the boot menu alternatives “Safe Video Mode” and “Failsafe Boot” on AntiX 19.3, as detailed here: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/recent-nvidia-changes/#post-68195

These problems occurred on an ancient desktop (P4, 1G, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420) which uses the ‘nouveau’ driver, but they might occur on other systems needing specific graphics configurations, so I have detailed them here as a reference for anyone else new to AntiX who encounters the same issues.

The first problem occurred after performing a “Safe Video Mode” boot – when I later returned to a normal boot the slim display manager failed to appear, and instead I landed at the console login. For my system, this was because “Safe Video Mode” left an entry in /usr/lib/modprobe.d/no-mode-set.conf as follows:

options nouveau modeset=0

When this line was removed, my system booted up normally again.

Incidentally, the “Safe Video Mode” was not at all helpful with my particular hardware. It uses the generalised VESA module, producing a dreadful low resolution screen (640 x 480) with huge icons but (strangely enough), tiny blurry/fuzzy font which was barely decipherable. Luckily the virtual consoles have nice crisp normal sized font still.

Selecting a “Failsafe Boot” at the boot menu caused similar side-effects – when I later tried to boot normally my system was stuck in the dreadful “Safe Video Mode” using the VESA driver. Again it had residual changes in /usr/lib/modprobe.d/no-mode-set.conf as above. However, on my system it also left the following lines in file /etc/modprobe.d/live-blacklist.conf

blacklist nouveau
    blacklist nvidia

When all these changes were removed, my system booted up normally again. (Actually, on my system, in file /etc/modprobe.d/live-blacklist.conf only the “blacklist nouveau” line needed to be removed – depends which module your system uses).

caprea
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

When I do the installation of antiX from a live stick booted in safe video mode, I have seen these changes (leftovers) on the installed system, which you have to revert to try or install another video driver.
    I did not know until now that they also remain on a live stick after booting in safe mode only once.So how is the persistence managed ?

GeoffC
    Helpful
    Up

Oh, that’s interesting – I had no idea the changes carried over to the installed system too (when installing from safe mode). It would also be interesting if someone could try booting an installed system in “Safe Video Mode” or “Failsafe Boot” to see if the changes happen there too. I don’t have any installations, only have live usbs. BTW they are configured for static persistence.

GeoffC
    Helpful
    Up

I took a closer look at my other live usb that I use on an old laptop, which also loads the VESA driver. I hadn’t taken much notice before because it is giving an acceptable resolution (max 1024×768 and a few lower options in ARandR). However, the laptop has Intel integrated graphics, so…
    … from /usr/lib/modprobe.d/no-mode-set.conf I removed:

options i915 modeset=0

… and from /etc/modprobe.d/live-blacklist.conf I removed:

blacklist i915

After rebooting it is now loading the Intel driver, which is defaulting to 1280×800 and offering a lot of other resolutions which weren’t available via the VESA module. I don’t understand why the specific driver has been excluded when it seems to perform better?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.