saned: problems with sane-utils when saned enabled

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer” saned: problems with sane-utils when saned enabled

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by delix02 Feb 27-4:15 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    delix02

I installed xsane and its dependencies and noticed the info line in dmsg, that it must be enabled manually. So I change the file /etc/default/saned file accordingly and now the service starts at booting.
    However, now I get an apt-get warning about an error of the sane-utils package.
    Further xsane has problems to connect to the scanner (the device is in use). Usage of the script usbreset enables a connection to the scanner, the scanner is identified correctly but then nothing is going on any further.

Guess, this is a well known problem and the reason for the disabled saned daemon. My question : is there any chance to get it solved in the future ?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Why not use simple-scan?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

delix02

I thought it depends on the same driver library.
    Simple-scan would be sufficient, so I’ll give it a try.
    Thanks for the hint !

delix02

well, I got the LaserJet printig, so why no trying to get the ScanJet scanning 🙂

However, with simple-scan -d I get

[+0,00s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:637: Starting Simple Scan 3.26.2, PID=10892
    [+0,16s] CRITICAL: g_action_print_detailed_name: assertion 'g_action_name_is_valid (action_name)' failed
    [+0,16s] CRITICAL: gtk_application_set_accels_for_action: assertion 'detailed_action_name != NULL' failed
    [+0,19s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1714: Loading state from /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+0,19s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1671: Restoring window to 600x400 pixels
    [+0,19s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:64: Loading autosave information
    [+0,19s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:259: Waiting to autosave...
    [+0,26s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1454: sane_init () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
    [+0,26s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1460: SANE version 1.0.25
    [+0,26s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1521: Requesting redetection of scan devices
    [+0,26s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:806: Processing request
    [+0,30s] DEBUG: autosave-manager.vala:281: Autosaving book information
    [+0,38s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+4,29s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:341: sane_get_devices () -> SANE_STATUS_GOOD
    [+4,29s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:353: Device: name="hp3900:libusb:001:003" vendor="Hewlett-Packard" model="Scanjet 3970" type="flatbed scanner"
    [+4,40s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+8,81s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+10,13s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+10,48s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+24,07s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+30,73s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+33,20s] DEBUG: simple-scan.vala:454: Requesting scan at 150 dpi from device 'hp3900:libusb:001:003'
    [+33,20s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:1569: Scanner.scan ("hp3900:libusb:001:003", dpi=150, scan_mode=ScanMode.GRAY, depth=2, type=ScanType.SINGLE, paper_width=2100, paper_height=2970, brightness=-10, contrast=-10, delay=3ms)
    [+33,21s] DEBUG: scanner.vala:806: Processing request
    [+33,22s] CRITICAL: file src/simple-scan@exe/simple-scan.c: line 1644: unexpected error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver was not provided by any .service files (g-dbus-error-quark, 2)
    [+33,52s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+34,21s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+37,10s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state
    [+94,97s] DEBUG: app-window.vala:1775: Saving state to /root/.cache/simple-scan/state

I think, the screensaver error can’t stop the scanner, so can anybody tell what shoud be the next (missing) log line ?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Ar you running it as root?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

delix02

in this example — yes

I tried as normal user, too. Here I get the status in my $HOME folder. The rest of the output is the same.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Which version of simplescan are you using?
    This (manjaro) thread concludes the blame is with 3.26.2-1 version (testing and sid repos).

simple-scan-not-scanning

delix02

see the top line of the log : it is 3.26.2; I tried stabil, testing and sid antiX-17 and antiX-16 with the same result.

I know the discussion of the manjaro people. But I think the screensaver error could not stop the ongoing initialisation of the “scanner”.
    They got only one line with the “saving status to…” statement and then already the sane_start command (what is missing here).

Wheezy is the last Debian version with a simple-scan version < 3.12 and the scanner was working with this (at least several months ago). However, I can’t test the scanner with it at the moment.
    I think it is a driver issue, if the scanner is not completely damaged (I know no reason for this). hplip, libsane-hpiao etc. are (re-)installed.

In the next days I’ll try a antiX-15 and a Debian stretch linux to test the functionability of the scanner.

delix02

The scanner runs xsane with the latest Debian-9.3-lxde-live.iso out of the box. With the antiX-17-full.iso it doesn’t – so it is not a matter of the apt-get autoremove option.

delix02

I found a (to me) acceptable solution for the problem :
    I downgraded simple-scan and the sane stuff to the Wheezy versions.
    This way I got the scanner and simple-scan working.

Then I upgraded some of the dependencies to the Buster versions.
    This way I got back GTKAM for example and the scanner is still working.
    This is only a workaround and not a really propper solution, but it is accaptable to me.

The source of the troubles seems to be the changes of the sane stuff to get it compatible with the nosystemd version of antiX. The changes are not sufficient.

Maybe a moderator can change the topic to “solved” – seems I can’t do it by myself any longer.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

I’m building the sane-backends stuff for antiX stretch, maybe the ones were fault.
    I’ll let you know when they hit the repos.

My HP printer/scanner works with antiX-17.

delix02

Hi anticapitalista,
    good idea to check the files.
    I guess, all the HP multifunction printer run with the current version. My scanjet 3970 flatbed scanner is just to old. The main difference between both types of HP scanner is the libsane-hpiao. Maybe it’s worth to check this file, too. A more exotic possibility is the libusb version (?).
    I’m just happy to have the scanner availble, so the workaround is sufficient.

Let me know if I can give a hand with further infos what I did or with some more testing with my special constellation of ancient office equipment.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by delix02.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

libsane-hpiao is not part of the antiX nosystemd sane-backends packages, so if it is at fault, then it is a problem with the default Debian hplip package.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

New versions of sane-backends in stretch/nosystemd repo. These *might* help you.

delix02

As I have a testing system running, I downloaded the files libsane-common, libsane and sane-utils manually from the repo and installed them via dpkg -i without problems. Unfortunatelly, I get the same output from simple-scan -d.
    Nevertheless – thanks for the trial.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.