SeaMonkey 2.49.5 does not start

Forum Forums General Software SeaMonkey 2.49.5 does not start

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Aug 10-2:26 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    seaken64

I started up my Pentium-III today and did some upgrades on both antiX-17.3 and antiX-19. After the upgrades finished I tested SeaMonkey and it would not start. The latest version is 2.49.5. I had previously had 2.49.4 installed. For some reason the latest 2.49.5 does not launch.

I used Synaptic to remove the new package, both in antiX-17.3 and 19. Then I re-installed version 2.49.4. SeaMonkey now starts up normally. So, 2.49.4 works and 2.49.5 does not. I could not figure out why.

I used Synaptic to lock the version to 2.49.4.

The current 2.49.5 does work fine on MX-19 32-bit on my P4.

Seaken64

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Okay, maybe I was wrong about how it is updating. I thought I had seen it on the list when doing a dist-upgrade. But maybe that it what they are trying to say. I should not be updating but re-installing over the top. Anyway, I think I am fine with version 2.49.4 and I think locking it will suffice. I do use NoScript on the antiX-17 install and uBlock Origin on the antiX-19. I could try uninstalling them and see if that makes a difference. But I am happy with version 2.49.4 so for now I will stay with that. Unless there is some compelling reason to get 2.49.5 working.

Seaken64

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

If you run latest SeaMonkey in a terminal, any useful output?
    You need libgtk-3-0 installed

I tested a fresh install of default antiX-19 (full, base 32 and 64 bit versions with no issues)

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

If you run latest SeaMonkey in a terminal, any useful output?
    You need libgtk-3-0 installed

I tested a fresh install of default antiX-19 (full, base 32 and 64 bit versions with no issues)

I tried to run it in the terminal but it would not run. Response was maybe Illegal Command, or something like that. I didn’t write it down. But it was short.

I now suspect it was the add-ons from NoScript and UBlock. Maybe with a fresh install it will work fine – as you have experienced. I will get around to trying it again. For now I am okay with the 2.49.4 version.

Thanks

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I finally figured this out after trying to install Vivaldi and SlimJet on this same machine. The problem has to do with SSE2. Since this is a Pentium-III it does not have the SSE2 instruction. The error was Illegal Instruction. So, SeaMonkey 2.49.4 and lower do not require SSE2, 2.49.5 and above do require SSE2.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I finally figured this out after trying to install Vivaldi and SlimJet on this same machine. The problem has to do with SSE2. Since this is a Pentium-III it does not have the SSE2 instruction. The error was Illegal Instruction. So, SeaMonkey 2.49.4 and lower do not require SSE2, 2.49.5 and above do require SSE2.

Seaken64

@Seaken64: Congratulations on this carefully studied, researched, and repeatedly tested conclusion! I hope this will be very useful to others who love to use antique equipment. You’ve turned this into an excellent work!

Maybe we should call you “Seaken64, Honorary Doctor of Ancient 32-bit software technology”!

Great work!

Brian Masinick

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks Brian, but I still have a LOT of studying and field time before I get that Doctorate!

Yesterday I came across some evidence that the SSE2 issue is not as simple as I thought. I think I am correct and that it is the SSE2 issue that prevents SM version above 2.49.4 from working on this P-III. However, my readings tell me that the SSE2 requirement started with 2.46. So I am not sure exactly what happened but I suspect that the Debian packagers for SeaMonkey were not flipping the SSE2 switch until 2.49.5.

There is a related situation with Firefox ESR. The official documents say SSE2 is required since version 53, making FFESR52 the last version to work on a P-III. But I read some reports where some users were able to use FFESR on Linux Mint on some AMD Athlon XP equipment. Some version were working and some weren’t and it varied based on the Mint distro version being used.

I decided to try running FFESR on my P-III. It works. On my antiX-19 installation it is Firefox ESR 68 Quantum. It is very sluggish at first and pegs the CPU at 100%. But it loads and I was able to install NoScript and I ended up making it usable. It is not the best choice for this P-III but the point is that it works without SSE2. So, again, I think that the Debian packagers do not flip the SSE2 switch on the FFESR versions, at least not on the 32-bit versions. I’ll be doing more experiments.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Seaken64: “Thanks Brian, but I still have a LOT of studying and field time before I get that Doctorate!”

This is true; right now, you have earned the ‘honorary’ declaration, much like the guest of honor at a graduation ceremony is ‘given’ some kind of honorary degree.
    You’ve certainly done as much as they have – you’ve seen various issues, and you have spoken about them articulately, with test results to back up your research.

An ‘honorary’ declaration is not the same as a degree earned at an institution, with testing, scoring, grading, and presentation of degree certificate, but it is a legitimate honor neverthelesSSE2s, so your honor is earned here! Keep up that research.

I’m not keen on SSE or SSE2, so hopefully I will be learning here. (I’ll do a bit of reading on my own too, so I can speak and respond as needed with some actual, rather than ‘virtual’ or ‘pretend’ intelligence)! You have an edge on me in this particular area, that’s for sure!

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

My friend, “Google”, gave me these short tidbits to get me started:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2
    “SSE is a processor technology that enables single instruction multiple data. Older processors only process a single data element per instruction. SSE enables the instruction to handle multiple data elements. It’s used in intensive applications, such as 3D graphics, for faster processing.”
    SSE2 at Wikipedia – “SSE2 (Streaming SIMD Extensions 2) is one of the Intel SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) processor supplementary instruction sets first introduced by Intel with the initial version of the Pentium 4 in 2000. It extends the earlier SSE instruction set, and is intended to fully replace MMX. Intel extended SSE2 to create SSE3 in 2004. SSE2 added 144 new instructions to SSE, which has 70 instructions. Competing chip-maker AMD added support for SSE2 with the introduction of their Opteron and Athlon 64 ranges of AMD64 64-bit CPUs in 2003.”

Brian: NOW I see why I didn’t know ANYTHING at ALL about SSE technology. Given that it is used primarily for intensive applications; I do not use any truly intensive applications; I use mainly Web browsers, occasional media players, and fairly simple file managers, text editors and Email programs, primarily Webmail programs. Though some of these are fairly data resource intensive and may very well use these advanced technologies, I don’t need to know anything about them, and if I did, I forgot it long ago.

The Wikipedia site also covers a lot more than I cited in the quotation, and though a few citations are not ideal, it is still a good starting point that references 0ther products and as of this writing, has four references included.

So thanks again Seaken64, I really have learned at least a little bit, and it’s recorded here in case i forget it again!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.