Seamonkey as default application in AntiX base

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-21/22 “Grup Yorum” Seamonkey as default application in AntiX base

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jan 25-4:13 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ctcx

Finally last thread for now. I apologize again if I made mods to be bothered…

In AntiX base there are 2 “default applications” lacking actual programs: web browser and email client. According to symlinks in ~/.local/share/desktop-defaults, they point to Seamonkey and Claws respectively, just non existent.

However there certainly *are* .desktop files for seamonkey, both in ~/.local/share/applications and /usr/share/applications; the only difference between these two being that local user’s one runs with apulse and the other one doesn’t for some reason…

In fact, Seamonkey web browser “default application” would seem to be… perhaps just wrongly set?

Would it be good idea to “fix” web browser and email client “default applications” to Seamonkey and Seamonkey mail located in ~/.local/share/applications, in AntiX base?

Thanks for everything again.

Brian Masinick

Finally last thread for now. I apologize again if I made mods to be bothered…

In AntiX base there are 2 “default applications” lacking actual programs: web browser and email client. According to symlinks in ~/.local/share/desktop-defaults, they point to Seamonkey and Claws respectively, just non existent.

However there certainly *are* .desktop files for seamonkey, both in ~/.local/share/applications and /usr/share/applications; the only difference between these two being that local user’s one runs with apulse and the other one doesn’t for some reason…

In fact, Seamonkey web browser “default application” would seem to be… perhaps just wrongly set?

Would it be good idea to “fix” web browser and email client “default applications” to Seamonkey and Seamonkey mail located in ~/.local/share/applications, in AntiX base?

Thanks for everything again.

These are excellent observations and your assertions definitely make sense. First, though these applications may be the intended defaults in certain environments, IF they are not present, they should either be removed entirely or set to whatever applications are chosen, or exist, otherwise their presence makes no sense whatsoever.

Instead, these defaults should be created and initialized when applications are installed AND set as the default.
        Moreover, when the application default values are set or changed, the values and settings should be updated accordingly. That’s the designed intention in my opinion.

--
        Brian Masinick

ctcx

Yes, I totally agree.

The case here is, Seamonkey is certainly installed at least in AntiX base (it comes shipped by default), thus the defaults presence would make sense, I think.

If I were allowed for a small suggestion proposal, I’d try fixing Seamonkey web browser default app from current /home/applications (WTH?) to /usr/share/applications. Perhaps also adding the Seamonkey mail link there in /usr/share/applications?

As mentioned, these 2 cases in particular are also present in ~/.local/share/applications, but according to zzzFM manual -which I finally read-, this directory seems to be a thing of the file manager, thus perhaps less “general”… ?
          Also, these versions use apulse to launch the app.

I’m not complaining about anything. Currently the “Web Browser” menu entry by default just does nothing. Should not be big deal per se. All this are small ideas just for being bit more “orthodox”.

Thanks for your attention.

Anonymous

pasting a couple refs here to remove an apparent point of confusion.
            The convention of using ~/.local/share/applications is not specific to zzzFM nor specific to antiX.

linuxconfig.org/how-to-create-custom-desktop-files-for-launchers-on-linux

The .desktop entries for your user account are stored at ~/.local/share/applications

help.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/mime-types-application-user.html.en

Individual users’ .desktop files can be stored in ~/.local/share/applications/

Brian Masinick

Thank you; very helpful information.

--
              Brian Masinick

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.