second monitor, no image

• This topic has 19 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Feb 5-8:10 pm by zeh.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    linuxdaddy
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

hi zeh,

The last 96.43 driver package for debian was debian 7 wheezy on the wiki.
    which was a 3 series kernel, A ? if a 3 series kernel will build against
    a newer gcc is not looking promising nor is nvidia building against a 4 series.
    I’ll still setup and try with mine on 17.4.1-full with different kernels.
    It seems to be an issue with Xorg, the laptop, or the other monitor not
    the driver. the nouveau should display both screens. can you check the
    other monitor with another computer? and is there any bios settings for
    the video or displays?

going on an adventure here over this weekend and next. first going to see if nvidia 96.43
    will build on 4 series kernel then later maybe next week seeing if a 3 series kernel will
    build on 17.4.1.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by linuxdaddy. Reason: added to it

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

The nouveau-driver is now looking good.
    If I understand you right you get a picture on your second monitor if it is plugged in on boot, but then only on the second monitor.What you would like to do is to switch between the monitors, right ?
    Or does the second monitor never show an image ? If so, is there an adapter used ? Look also like linuxdaddy mentioned at some settings in bios for second monitor(vga-connection)

Does it help to activate the second monitor manually by one of the commands
    xrandr --output VGA-1 --auto

xrandr --output LVDS-1 --off --output VGA-1 --auto

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by caprea.
    zeh
    Helpful
    Up

The situation now is as follows:
    booting with modeset0, 2nd monitor unplugged – 2nd monitor not recognized after being plugged in
    booting with modeset0, 2nd monitor plugged in – the system uses the 2nd monitor and doesn’t recognize laptop’s monitor
    booting with modeset1, 2nd monitor unplugged – 2nd monitor recognized after being plugged in, however no image carried over
    booting with modeset1, 2nd monitor plugged in – the system uses the 2nd monitor and the laptop’s monitor, the latter however with the brightness/back-lighting sort of dimmed and it can’t be changed

xrandr –output VGA-1 –auto didn’t do anything I could see
    xrandr –output LVDS-1 –off –output VGA-1 –auto got me a black screen on the laptop’s monitor and nothing else I could see

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Sorry i missed to mention, the bootparameter nouveau.modeset=0 prevents the nouveau driver from being used, so it’s contraproductive here.
    So you you have to stick with nouveau.modeset=1, which does the opposite, for tests.

zeh
    Helpful
    Up

@ linuxdaddy

going on an adventure here over this weekend and next. first going to see if nvidia 96.43
    will build on 4 series kernel then later maybe next week seeing if a 3 series kernel will
    build on 17.4.1.

According to caprea the nouveau driver should work. It does already when I boot the system with the 2nd monitor plugged in.

@ caprea

So you you have to stick with nouveau.modeset=1, which does the opposite, for tests

OK, I will.

The problem is not solved yet, but I can already use the computer as I intended, even if with some limitations. Thank you both for your help. If I manage find any improvement I’ll post here.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.