Security problems in system kernels?

Forum Forums General Other Distros Security problems in system kernels?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jul 28-12:39 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

https://www.linuxtoday.com/security/esecurity-planet-holes-in-linux-kernel-could-pose-problems-for-red-hat-ubuntu-other-distros/

Abstract: eSecurity Planet goes into more detail on a pair of vulnerabilities in the Linux kernel disclosed this week. The vulnerability—dubbed Sequoia— exposes major Linux operating systems in a way that could let a hacker either gain root privileges on a compromised host or shut down the entire OS altogether.

The two flaws – CVE-2021-33909 and CVE-2021-33910, respectively – were disclosed by vulnerability management vendor Qualys in a pair of blogs that outlined the threat to Linux OSes from such companies Red Hat, Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora.

Brian Masinick

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

The kernel bug (not the systemd related one) was patched by debian, in case anyone is interested.
    https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2021-33909

Anyway, this bug doesn’t affect normal users except if they leave their computer in hands of a untrustworthy stranger using and unprivileged account. It lets the unprivileged account gain root access, but most of us have single user systems, and can already gain root privilege without that bug. The ones with multi-user systems (like schools or corporations) are the ones interested in getting the fix.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

As I type, antiX kernels are being compiled to mitigate against these exploits.
    It will take a while.
    Hopefully most/all will be ready in the next 24-48 hours for all our kernels for antiX-17, antiX-19, antiX-21 (bullseye, testing and sid), 32 bit (non-pae and pae) and 64 bit arch.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

You are beyond many developers, anticapitalista. Many thanks for all they great work you do and we shamelessly take advantage of.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I echo Xecure in saying thanks for your great work in providing antiX. Thank you @anticapitalista!

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

We have the best leadership and the finest community. Thank you anticapitalista for making it all possible.

Brian Masinick

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

I saw this tutorial dated only a few months ago (4/19/2021) on how to compile your own kernel for antix:

https://tutorialforlinux.com/2021/04/19/step-by-step-build-kernel-antix-linux-guide/

I was wondering if this is an accurate way to build a kernel for antix. I wanted to verify if this is a useful tutorial to try my hand at building my own kernel for my antix system.

Thanks.

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Calciumsodium, it’s certainly interesting for you, there was already once a thread about kernel building.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/kernels-make-your-own/

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Many thanks anticapitalista for all your work and for the antiX.

———-

Muito obrigado anticapitalista por todo o seu trabalho e pelo antiX.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

there was already once a thread about kernel building.
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/kernels-make-your-own/

Hi @caprea,
    Thank you for pointing me to the direction of the work of @sleekmason and others.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

@all – latest security fix kernels should now be in the repos.
    All users are strongly advised to upgrade (via synaptic, cli-aptiX or package-installer).

Latest versions:

4.19-198
    4.9.0-276
    4.4.0-276

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the kernel update. Downloading 5.10.52 now.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@all – latest security fix kernels should now be in the repos.
    All users are strongly advised to upgrade (via synaptic, cli-aptiX or package-installer).

Latest versions:

4.19-198
    4.9.0-276
    4.4.0-276

Thank you for promptly updating these kernels! 👍📯🎷🎵😃

Brian Masinick

stevesr0
    Helpful
    Up

thanks anti for the update.

stevesr0

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I put the update in on an old system using a 4 series kernel and another one with the 5.10 kernel; both are functioning well.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.