Seeking advice on Greek Koine pronunciation

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Seeking advice on Greek Koine pronunciation

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Sep 16-2:49 pm by olsztyn.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

I am not of Greek origin but for some time have been trying (on and off due to various pressing priorities) to lean Greek, eventually to read some ancient texts, which were written in Greek Koine (of course) not the modern Greek.

Sophistication of grammar is not that much of a problem to me. English is not my first language and my first language had equally complex/sophisticated grammar as Greek. Far more of a problem is exact pronunciation. Even if I use the modern-Greek pronunciation when reading (so far still attempting to, rather than actually reading), rather than Koine pronunciation, often the uncertainty of pronunciation makes me manually type certain pieces into Google Translator just for the purpose of hearing how exactly they are pronounced.
      Copy/paste of these pieces of texts from e.g. Septuagint or NT into Google translator proves to not work too well as those texts often contain various extra accent and aspiration marks on vowels, which Google Translate does not understand, so it fails to recognize those words. So most often I end up manually typing in, which works but is a very tedious process…
      Is there a better way to hear how such pieces of those ancient texts are pronounced?

I am hoping there are some Greek speaking participants in this Greek Kafeneio that would be willing to share some advice…
      Thank you in advance…

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by olsztyn.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
      http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

steve_anunknown

I’m not sure what you mean exactly when you say “the uncertainty of pronunciation”. However, there is a really good video on youtube called “the lucian pronunciation” which may be the solution to your problem, as it showcases a pronunciation system that can be easily adapted to the era which the reader wants to refer to. It is a long video but well worth the watch, especially since you seem to be interested in the exact pronunctiation, meaning that you are not hesitant to dig into the details of a pronunciation system.

olsztyn

Thank you steve_unknown…
          The video is excellent from the point of scientific dissertation on details of Greek pronunciation – how variations developed across regions and time. As such it is excellent in itself to study, and it is not just watching once or twice but to comprehend such vast amount of detail presented there and compressed in such a short time.
          The approach is very sound and rational to me. It might be pointless to attempt to determine the ‘exact’ pronunciation corresponding to ancient texts but instead to establish what is reasonably acceptable one. As one example given, even the Erasmian Greek pronunciation was in fact wrong but just accepted at that time.
          This video provides enough understanding how to get to a reasonable and acceptable proximity of ancient Greek pronunciation based on explained principles. For me it means a longer term study but really worthwhile.
          Thanks very much.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by olsztyn.
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by olsztyn.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
          http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.