Selling Zorin OS Pro, Read description. laugh

Forum Forums General Other Distros Selling Zorin OS Pro, Read description. laugh

• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Sep 5-5:42 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Create with the same apps the pros use. Zorin OS Pro includes an advanced video editor,
    PhotoShop-compatible image editor, illustration software, audio workstation, animation
    software, and the same 3D graphics & effects software used by Hollywood studios, just to
    name a few.

Main included apps are
    Blender, FreeCAD, Gimp, Inkscape, Krita, LibreCAD, Scribus.
    Firefox, Transmission, Feeds, the Remmina remote desktop client, LibreOffice, Evolution,
    Audacity audio editor, Kdenlive and PiTiVi video editors, Brasero disc burning software,
    Handbrake video converter, Cheese web cam tool. Rhythmbox audio player, Totem video player,
    and VLC.

You need to have minimum 28 GiB Root partition to install.

Anyone saying antiX is bloated.

fungalnet
    Helpful
    Up

The entire desktop/gui industry is directed in imitating M$winblows, but not to pass too harsh of a judgement on this approach, it is what makes people consider switching from M$ to IBMware (systemdinux)

The entire office suite is trying to imitate M$office and even to add complexity to it.

If you tell people to try arch using the single monthly image they provide, I bet that less than 1000th of a percent would ever leave mac/ms to use arch and spend the next 3 years studying the wiki.

Marketing and the forces of the market have influenced many developers to think in terms of “market” when they design software. As products that appear on the shelf compete for the buyer’s choice, even though 90% may come from the same co., software seem to be in competition with each other. If you attach an exchange value to software, such as the popularity and the money you get from donations, you would be competitive. If you just remained faithful to the principles of open source, freedom to hack and fork, and sharing the best you make to use on your own, then there wouldn’t be a problem. There is a degree of alienation in software coding as much as there is in working in a factory. Some may only use a tiling wm with terminals and console editors, to produce guis that are popular, that they would never use themselves. The guy that makes a living writing Gnome sw may be doing it in a machine with his own custom script init, running i3, and simulating another system that the gui would run into.

Not every one seems to be as devoted to real problem solving (suckless) and not trying to imitate what is marketed/popular so they can compete (KDE/QtWindows, Gnome, CinnabonWin9, etc.)

That’s my take on it

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Well. I put myself in my neighbors shoes when I see things like this.

Hell. They don’t know. Snake Oil always was big commodity out here in the desert southwest.
    Just because I know it is bull pucky does not mean my neighbor thinks the same way.

Hell. The world don’t think like I do. So all I do is usually say ” I don’t like ZorinOS ” and leave off at that.
    If somebody asks why.
    I tell em it is personal.
    Like me liking small pickup trucks while they are thinking of buying the biggest gas hog they can find.

Cuz. In my neighbors world. Bigger is better.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Also. Those graphic tools are highly hardware use intensive when ran.

Some folks need that though. So Choice is still there.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

There is a degree of alienation in software coding as much as there is in working in a factory.

This is a surprising thought. I have been under impression that software coding in Linux world is not alienated at all, as it is motivated by contribution to free world, challenge and curiosity. Whereas working in a factory is completely alienated by definition. Working is a factory is none of such above, it is just to make living, support your family and pay for your time off vacation…
    Interesting perspective though…

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

I’ve seen some reviews on Zorin- this kind of distros that are similar to the currently User Interface that most people are used to (windows 10) are not, in my opinion, “bad”- they serve a usefull porpose- give people, willing to try Linux, a more familiar ambient, do dimish the shock of the change.
    change is not bad- I love some wierd UI’s- I even tested a MacOs like UI in antiX, just to see if it “clicked” to me- it did not- I’m set in my ways, I’m used to a toolbar on the bottom, a menu icon on the left, quick launch icons, system tray, and a clock. So I tweak a little the default icewm- change the theme, add a search icon and skippy xd to the toolbar, and it has most of the funcionality an user of a modern computer expects and then some more… but there’s a lot that people expect that icewm simply can’t deliver.
    Just because I needed to keep my mind busy I began to experiment with tint2 toolbar, and then jgmenu – I was never into using toolbars and menus that did not with the WM, I considered that “bloat” (used too much system resources)- but I found a way of using my setup- that may put any Windows 10 at ease- in even lower system resources that the default rox-icewm desktop- I was not exacly trying to emulate W10, just using the good UI ideas it offered- and also ended up with something that was very usefull to me- a way to adjust to being forced to use Windows 10!- I can now switch between antiX and W10 without ever thinking “Damn wrong OS! I have to do this in another way!”.
    Zorin and similar distros take the idea of providing a familiar interface to an extreme, but I can’t blame them- they are comfortable for newbies.
    Well the fact that they have everything and the kitchen sink installed- hum- I’m a middle ground myself- I don’t like having loads of tools, specially tools that are heavy and that I won’t probably ever use, in my system… But I can see the value of having almost every single piece of software available- mainly because not everyone has broadband available to install GIMP or LibreOffice, etc…

I would not mind if antiX had an “ultra-complete” ISO with GIMP, L.A.M.P., Firefox, thunderbird, java, wine and steam, etc, etc, preinstalled- I would not use it, but it could be gold for someone that has no access to the internet (or has no reliable broadband or has a slow connection)- example- students that can download the iso in school, and then install and use it at home, where they do not have internet…

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Reacting to the topic title, I don’t (won’t) laugh here.
    2-3 yrs back, I was saddened to see dismissive // snarky comments in response to an announcement from (by) a teenage girl who had released an Ubuntu derivative respin. IIRC, she was also offering paid support. I wish I could recall its name or some further details (e.g. one-time purchase, ongoing support… vs annual subscription) ($US10? €20?) but I expect her nominally-priced support would have been both exceptional and time-intensively thorough.

I applaud Zorin for reaching (reaching out to) an audience segment which is perhaps overlooked by other distros.
    Surely (wishful thinking) some of their users will “graduate” to exploring + using other distros.

mikey777
    Helpful
    Up

I’m probably typical of many of those who migrate from MS-Windows to Linux, having no formal background or training in computing.

Prior to moving to Linux, I used MS-Windows for straightforward administrative tasks, some surfing on the net, e-mails, some simple games, etc. Nothing sophisticated. However, after WinXP’s death in 2014, I became increasingly frustrated with the poor functioning of Win7.

I thought there had to be something better. Then, I heard about Linux (don’t remember from where), and Zorin’s eye-candy got my attention. With the half dozen different desktops that came with the paid version (I think this is the ‘Pro’ version), together with its emphasis on a graphical-user interface, rather than terminal, it offered me a Windows-like experience which I found really helpful in making the transition from Windows to Linux.

However, not long after my acquaintance with Zorin, I ended up on the distro-hopping merry-go-round, which lasted for several months until I found Linux Lite (LL) – a very user-friendly distro for Windows migrants who are new to Linux, who’re not very computer-techy. I stayed with LL through editions 1 to 3, finally ducking out of this Ubuntu-based distro when it hit subsequent versions 4 & 5, which were not so ‘Lite’, going at a sluggish Windows-like speed on my ageing hardware. It was then I met antiX, and it’s been great ever since – finally it feels like home. Though I wasn’t with Zorin for very long (about a year), it was nevertheless very useful in starting me off on the Linux journey …

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by mikey777.

antix19.4-core+LXDE installed on the following:
    (2011) Samsung NP-N145 Plus – single-core CPU Intel Atom N455@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics.
    (2008) Asus X71Q – dual CPU Intel T3200@2.0GHz, 4GB RAM. Graphics: Intel Mobile 4 Series (Integrated)
    (2007) Packard Bell Easynote MX37 (ALP-Ajax C3) – dual CPU Intel T2310@1.46GHz, 2GB RAM. Graphics: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 771/671

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I applaud Zorin for reaching (reaching out to) an audience segment which is perhaps overlooked by other distros.
    Surely (wishful thinking) some of their users will “graduate” to exploring + using other distros.

Q4OS also does this, and Linux Light as already mentioned by mikey777. I have become somewhat pessimistic on this topic as my own personal experience leads me to believe that most computer users do not care to explore. I have tried several times to get my users to use Linux after I have set it up to be very similar to Windows. Inevitably it just ends in a prolonged exercise in futility. So I end up just buying new Windows machines and plop them in front of the users. I get less questions and more time to pursue my own Linux curiosity.

But for those who are forced to learn something new, because they can’t afford to upgrade to Windows 10 or 11 (they don’t have a boss they can whine to and get them to buy a new machine) then Distros like Zorin and Q4OS can be a nice bridge to Linux. Maybe they will take it to the next level and find out what else is out there, as mikey777 did.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I have always been a promoter of choice regarding software, the choice to choose freely available software (whether it has a BSD, GNU, Linux or something else), and also the choice to pay for commercial software and support.

Though I personally prefer Linux software, I also believe that having Microsoft and Apple selling commercial hardware and software is also a good thing. It provides a lot of people with good jobs.

Having companies like Dell, IBM, Lenovo, Acer, Asus and many others selling hardware with a variety of software is also healthy for the industry.

Each of us can choose whatever we prefer from these and other alternatives. We certainly use antiX and appreciate that it works with many different types of hardware.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.