Set Up Firefox And Delete ESR

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Set Up Firefox And Delete ESR

• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Mar 20-3:47 pm by PPC.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DGang

Ok, this started here https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/noob-to-linux-antix-command-m0re/ but I felt starting a more recent discussion would be appropriate.
      At first I installed firefox and discovered it had no sound and didn’t just update.
      PPC explained in the other thread how to open firefox with sound using something like:
      $apulse firefox
      However, sybok made a good point about updates. Also, I still had to use an icon on the desktop to get sound.
      To get rid of the installed firefox I used:
      $ sudo apt-get purge firefox

To get rid of firefox-esr is answered here:

• https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/purge-firefox/
    • I see that I can download firefox from the website and run it and it works … except for the sound.
      How do I add my offical download of firefox to the applications menu and such?
      Is there a longer term solution to fixing the sound?
      I have done some searching and reading on this. You do not need to tell me how bad google and firefox are, I agree, lol … maybe Vivaldi is an option? Chromium seems to have installed ok, by the way. In any case, I am working on some html, css, javascript stuff and would like to have some current browsers … and security is generally better with current updates. Peace.

Now I am working on this.
      In “how to install applications” at:

• https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-install-applications-2020-version/
    • PPC has:

6- Manually install files :

6.1- “.run” applications or compressed binaries (like “.tar.bz”):

Some software is available as compressed binaries like “.tar.bz” – just uncompress it and run the executable file.
      You can get the most recent Mozilla FireFox version in this format.
      Pros: safe to use, can’t, as far as I know, break your system (but can perform, as any software, malicious actions).
      Easy and safe to uninstall- simple delete the uncompressed files!
      Cons: you have to manually setup menu entries and file associations.

“.run” applications – almost the same as above, but automaticaly install everything the application need to run once you execute this kind of “installer”.
      Some device drivers come in this format.
      Cons: as far as I know this can break your system. Try to install only files you know are safe (this is a univerally good advice).

(I used ./firefox by the way … to open the one I installed from the website.)
      However, this doesn’t say how to add it, make it appear, in the applications list.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by DGang.
    andyprough

Did you try installing Firefox from the antiX Package Installer? What you installed is a generic version from Mozilla, but the one from the antiX Package Installer is the version that is packaged specifically to work with antiX, and to be updated by antiX. It’s more “official” to get your packages directly from the antiX repository than by grabbing it from Mozilla. You might find that the sound works as well without having to use apulse. And it will be integrated into your menu.

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

Why don’t you do what was suggested in that thread you linked to?

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/noob-to-linux-antix-command-m0re/#post-79324

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

DGang

That’s a reasonable question. I did what PPC suggested. I went to “help” in my firefox options and then to the “about firefox” and saw it was maintained … then I considered what sybok said and the fact that sound was an issue for me for the Debian version and updating was automatic from firefox. I hoped that downloading from firefox would solve the sound issue but it didn’t. At least now I had the most up to date … but I didn’t see the firefox in my applications list … I have to manually run it. So here I am … In fact I just went through 30 minutes of PPC’s newbie guide:

• http://youtu.be/PyY1M_KF5wk
          • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by DGang.
          christophe

Normally, when I want to create a shortcut in the menu, I start up geany as root.
            I open another similar shortcut (i.e., *.desktop file) in /usr/share/applications.
            I do a “save-as” my new name, such as opening “firefox-esr.desktop,” and saving it as “firefox.desktop”
            Then I edit the new file to reflect what I need. So, for this line:
            Exec=/usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr %u
            I would edit it to be :
            Exec=apulse firefox %u
            If it doesn’t work as expected, then tweak it a bit further (although I think it will work).

And of course, asking here, when in a jam, works too. ;)

Restarting the window manager or clicking ‘refresh menu’ on the root menu should refresh it to list it in the menu. Otherwise, a reboot or re-login tends to work.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

ModdIt

Another reason not to install firefox from mozilla download site is the unique identifier for every download.
              Seems moz has now admitted but claims the function is acceptable users can turn off the telemetry, without
              explaining how to do so without starting the browser.
              Disconnect from network, start the browser turn off telemetry and all the other pinging tracking functions
              through about:config. Delete the hidden extensions in Browser Features folder Ensure pigbender (Pingsender)
              cashorter (crashreporter) uplater (updater) are correctly named or sadly they will not function as mozilla
              intended. Crashreporter can upload a complete memory dump.
              Delete all the waiting pings and telemetry in your firefox profile, make the folders read only.
              Reconnect to internet and restart firefox. watch conky, better your network traffic directly if you have more
              than just a router query you have missed something.

Best method, use the version provided by the distribution or
              install and use LibreWolf It is firefox without the privacy concerns.

There is a uuid and extremely exact install time in every install, the uuid is same for all users when the distro
              version is used. The install time and google analytics data along with font enumeration IP Geolocation Sensor data
              are almost certainly more than enough enough to uniquely id an individual.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by ModdIt.
              PPC

At first I installed firefox

I always suggest that user install applications:
                -First – from Package Installer
                -Second – using apt (via the terminal) or Synaptic (via GUI)
                -Third – using an universal format (like appimages/flatpacks) or downgrading the binary.

You choose to download and use Firefox’s binary – as you can read in the previous posts that has some pros and cons…

For you the major con seems to be the lack of a menu entry for that version of Firefox.
                You can create, from scratch a .desktop file for programs that you install manually from binaries.
                (for those that don’t know .desktop files are the way Linux knows where to place the icon for any app in the menu, which category it belong to, what icon it uses, etc)

To create a .desktop file do this:
                Menu > Terminal
                sudo geany
                And create the file, adapting the place holders in bold to your particular case:

[Desktop Entry]
                Categories=Network;WebBrowser;
                Encoding=UTF-8
                Exec=firefox %u
                Icon=firefox
                Name=Firefox

More than one Category can be used, and this points to the Menu Category the application will appear in. A nice description of valid categories can be found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/674403/when-creating-a-desktop-file-what-are-valid-categories
                To get the correct Exec= field drag and drop the executable you want to run to the place right after the “=” sign.
                You can search for the Icon you want to be displayed in the folder of the binary you uncompressed, an place it’s full path after the “=” sign. In some generic apps, like “firefox”, antiX usually provides a default icon, there’s no need to search for it.
                The “Name” field is what will be displayed in the menu or any desktop/toolbar icon you create for this particular application.

Create the .desktop file and make sure to save it in the /usr/share/applications folder, under the name you want, but with the extension “.desktop”- the name of the field is usually not important, but make sure you use a name that means something to you, for example – “my_firefox.desktop” – try not to make the name exacly the same as the default .desktop for that application, or it may be overwritten is you install that application using the .deb package.

After saving the .desktop, you can close geany. Refresh the menu or Log off and back on so the .desktop file appears in the menu…
                You can adapt this procedure to any binary/ appimage file, etc…

P.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by PPC.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.