Setting up antiX with IceWM to make it more comfy for ex Windows folks

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Setting up antiX with IceWM to make it more comfy for ex Windows folks

• This topic has 41 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated Nov 28-2:25 am by BobC.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

@Marcelo- there’s also some more news, probably next week FT10 will include a script to set itself up in all 3 Window Managers- I have it kind of read, but it needs some more testing. Once that is done and you take care of the localization of the remaining yad-scripts, then I think version 1.0 is ready!

@BobC- That’s strange, I never had problems when I use IceWM- is the startup file really empty, or it does not have “ft10-start &” (or, alternatively “tint2 &”)? Did you try my sample configuration script for icewm?
    Funny thing, the script to configure JWM was the shortest of all 3… And I’m no longer used to work with JWM- now with the same toolbar and menu, all 3 window managers end up looking the same, only the window decoration is different…

and yes, I developed some executor scripts- for volume, network (I lost that one), and disk. There are even scripts to show the weather forecast out there- I consider those a wast of resources, that’s why I designed the bar with the “Weather” icon- if you want to see the weather forecast, it’s just on click away, not wasting your system resources, the same applies to the hardcoded volume icon. So, you are right, long refresh rates on the Disk executor is probably the best, for systems with low resources- that’s why it’s not even included out of the box…

Lol, your idea of a script that changes many systems settings is really my original FT10 install script- it did all that (set spacefm as default file manager, changed to the numix fluxbox style- it’s last incarnation installed zzzfm and used it has default file manager).
    I have not yet found a way to automatically and universally configure spacefm/zzzfm – because of the strange way the config file works- it seems to use randomly created id’s for each element on the config file, and it identifies the previous and the follwing element… since the names are randomly created, a script to insert the text with the needed changes (like the configuration for the trash can/recycle bin) does not work- if some better “coder” than me (hi, Skidoo, are you reading this?) knows how to automatically add stuff to the config file, all help is welcome!

P.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

I found that Chrome Remote Desktop is supposed to work with Brave. Is that any better? 64 bit only, BTW…

Basically, the following ideas are to reduce the configuration effort that is needed to make a machine more eX10User friendly.

Left click on the FT10 menu button brings up the JGMenu, so I implemented a Right click on FT10 menu button shortcut to bring up IceWM main menu.

I have a gripe with the keymap for Midnight Commander, mainly the Find File keyboard shortcut Alt+? doesn’t work, and I change it to Alt+F.

I want to preconfigure a more friendly default zzzFM setup with double click, add trash, include devices and columns. Maybe others will also like it.

I didn’t figure a way to implement trash.cli for rox-filer. Is anyone able to set that up?

I have a ZIM based context sensitive help system, with keyboard maps for IceWM and Midnight Commander included. It pops up help text for the program running in the current window. Any interest?

Other suggestions?

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@BobC – on the File Manager – for antiX 19, yes, install zzzfm and in both antiX 19 and 21, make it the default browser (that can be done by a script); set up the trash/reccle bin in zzzfm; show devices; add default bookmarks (Downloads, Documents, etc, I also like adding the applications folder, as a handy way to search and open apps, if the user has the file manager open). I also just thought about making the “Send to Trash” contextual menu intelligent enough not to show up in the trash folder itself, and make an “Empty trash” menu entry show up when the user is in the Trash folder
    – I rarely use midnight commander
    – I’ve read about ZIM here in the forum- it sounds handy- does it run on the foreground, monitoring to see when the apps it’s configured with are running? I’m not a fan of processes running in the background, unless they are really essential…
    – On the right click FT10 start menu icon to access antiX menu- did you use the code I provided, or did you come up with another novel way?
    -Strangely enough for a guy that uses an (although semi-degoogeled) android phone and gmail every day, I’m not a fan of Google services- but sure, if you managed to get their screen sharing service running on Brave, not bad. I used Teamviewer myself when I needed to – but screen sharing apps are a always a security risk right?

Probably the thing that will put off non Linux user (and even Linux users) is the fact that you have to setup pulseaudio or use apulse to start many apps (like Firefox) that require pulseaudio for their audio output- I seem to have read it on the forum that on antiX 21 that “problem” was not present, but I haven’t tested that…

I have a auto Ft10 setup almost 100% read- I’m testing adding that code to the script ft10-create. If it works out ok across all 3 window managers, all I have to do is create a ,desktop file for FT10-create and the setup process will be 100% automated (just install the .deb and then click “Configure FT10 Transformation Pack” in the menu.
    A to-do, not hard to implement is including a routine to back up the config files that are modified and then offer, in it’s yad window 2 options: Enable or Disable (disabling FT10 basicly restores the backed up files and restarts the desktop)

I’ll probably also include .desktop files for the Weather and News app, maybe one for a yad script to display disk space- any other “small” scripts that may be nice extras or offer missing features for users (I was thinking about Xecure’s script to manage localization of apps and system language- but it’s not “final” yet)

Also, installing my debinstaller script and condifiguring it in zzzfm, particulary for antiX 21 (that still lacks a GUI off-line .deb package installer).

Lots of ideas, no time to implement them all 🙁
    P.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

The zim helpnotes system had 2 flavors.

Skidoo’s version automatically monitors what application is active and changes to that application’s notes automatically in it’s window to match. The idea is for it to be instantaneous, so once started its intended to stay running.

My version is simpler, and only runs when a hotkey is pressed, and it brings up the helpnotes for the application you have active when you press the key, or creates a blank one for you to enter your notes if nothing is found. Nothing runs in background, but once running it runs until you close the window.

I like the idea of being able to set the defaults to FT10 by application or not, and being able to restore the original settings. If that festure is included, care needs to be taken to make sure it doesn’t overlay those original settings if changed again.

I agree on adding normal folders.

On recycle bin I’m used to having a link to it, and there was an option to empty it, I think.

Maybe terminal apps like mc and roxterm should be ignored? Normal people generally don’t use them much.

Roxterm – turn off shortcut keys and change copy/paste to ctrl+c ctrl+v (non-standard for Linux, means ctrl+c doesn’t work to cancel a program running in that terminal)

Let me know if there are things I can help with…

Ps Do you think puldeaudio should be included by default? My bluetooth wireless headset wont work without it.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 3 hours ago by BobC.
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up

– I loved you Zim implementation!
    – “I like the idea of being able to set the defaults to FT10 by application or not, and being able to restore the original settings. If that festure is included, care needs to be taken to make sure it doesn’t overlay those original settings if changed again.”
    A: I didn’t really get what you mean… are you referring to the toolbar launchers and Menu favorites that the user changed?- On the current ft10 versions, when you run ft10-create, all configs are reset to the defaults… I’m working on script to back up the tint2 launchers that is able to restore them- but that probably won’t be in the “final 0.9” version that I expect is coming out until the end of next week…

-I have problems with my shortcut keys in Roxterm- I can never remember them, I always end up using the contextual menu to copy/paste

-Thanks for the help offer- the only thing that was bothering me was how to have a Recent Files in jgmenu, but I cracked that one- we’ll have a fully featured recent files menu, no need to use yad scripts or zzzfm windows… All the rest is just some adjusments I need to make, to implement all the ideas that are hangging around my head.
    There’s only one single tiny but annoying BUG- the add/remove icons tint2 tooltip refuses to be processed 🙁

-Once version 0.9 is ready, I’ll send everything to Marcelocripe, so he implements localization that’s missing in some yad scripts. Once that is done, I think v.1 is ready (I’ll probably ask Moddit to localize the scripts to German, I think his kids could dig ft10…)

P.

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

If someone implements FT10 and decides afterwards to revert back to the previous window manager/panel setup, it would require having a good copy of the existing configuration files from before the install.

Yes, I always change the roxterm copy/paste to be Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

BobC
    Helpful
    Up

The tooltip on the icon manger works.

The tool tips in the jgmenu side icons don’t work.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@BobC- as far as I know, jgmenu does now allow tool-tips :-(, that’s the only thing that bugs me in that fine piece of software… On the menu with categories, the description right next to the icons (the Power icon, and so on) are hard-coded links to the same exact thing that the icon refers to- weird, I know).
    I just checked out Windows 11 “on-line” (over at https://win11.blueedge.me/) and I think that the current Windows 11 start menu does not show tool-tips when you click the “Power” icon. Really the only 2 essential icons there are self explanatory- the Power and the Gears icon. I just added a link to the default file manager, Xkill, and now Recent files because I thought they would be handy- all but the Xkill buttons should probably be instantly recognizable by users of any OS- do you think I should remove it from the Tiled menu? I think it’s handy for it to be there- I use it a lot when large apps begin to hang my system…

I “finished” (famous last words) the ft10 setup script- I already made an .desktop file that allows users to quickly jump between both available menu templates (but resetting the Menu favorites and toolbar quick launchers- I’m trying to implement a way to back up user changes and then reapply them when the user switches between ft10 templates). To have a quick and easy way for users to switch off FT10 is also in the works (Ft10 installer will back up the Window Manager config files- and I’ll create a .desktop file that simply copies back the config files to the original places and restarts the desktop)

EDIT:
    I forgot- just in case you want to test my .desktop that allows to select running FT10 with a Categories menu or a Tiled menu, keeping the current menu favorites and toolbar launchers:

Create the “ft-setup.desktop” with this contents and save it (I hope the forum does not mangle the EXEC code)- if you place it in /usr/share/applications and update antiX menu, it should come up in the “Settings” sub-menu:

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Ft10 Setup
    Name[pt]=Configurar o FT10
    Name[pt_BR]=Configurar o FT10
    GenericName=Configures FT10 settings
    GenericName[pt]=Configurar definições padrão do FT10
    GenericName[pt_BR]=Configurar definições padrão do FT10
    Type=Application
    Exec=sh -c “sed -n ‘/launcher_item_app/p’ ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc > ~/.config/tint2/backed_up_launchers.txt ; cp ~/.config/jgmenu/append.csv ~/.config/jgmenu/appendBAK; ft10-create ; sed -i ‘/launcher_item_app/d’ ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc && cp ~/.config/jgmenu/appendBAK ~/.config/jgmenu/append.csv && cat ~/.config/tint2/backed_up_launchers.txt >> ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc ; pkill tint2; ft10-start”
    Icon=settings
    Categories=Settings;System;

P.

• This reply was modified 2 days, 7 hours ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 2 days, 7 hours ago by PPC.
    • This reply was modified 2 days, 3 hours ago by PPC.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

PPC, I’m willing to help test. Pretend I know almost nothing.

I can setup a fresh flashdrive 64 bit system and then install and implement again from scratch. I will reread above for instructions.

If jgmenu doesn’t have tooltips, there isn’t much we can do there. Maybe someone will add that feature at some point.

Maybe better for someone like Moddit or others that deal with the situations and consequences could discuss and advise on the Kill button. I don’t use it often, but have needed it a few times, myself.

I really like having JGmenu when you left click the menu button and IceWM menu on the right click. I tested it with a 7 and 10 yr old yesterday, and they were able to do it to get to the games menu.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

@BobC- thanks for the offer. Version 0.9, that will be completely production ready, with this .dekstop file included, some minor changes, an a big change- an “uninstaller”… So you may prefer to wait a bit more and help to test that.

Well, the current 016 version already is production ready, but the next version will be far easier to setup, for users that don’t like to use the cli, that are our “target users”- if all goes well, with this .desktop file, all the users has to do is install both .deb packages needed (unfortunately jgmenu-antix is not yet in our repo, when/if it is, it’s only a matter of downloading only ft-10’s .deb package). Install the package(s) (harder on antiX 21, that does not have a GUI for that) and then click, in antiX menu “Setup Ft10” then select the preferred menu layout (the user can run the .desktop file again to use the other menu layout, without losing any changes to the preferred menu apps/ launcher icons on the toolbar. Probably the feature that will need more testing is the “uninstaller”.

P.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Please accept the text in pt-BR for the .desktop file.

Please accept the text in pt-BR for the .desktop file. The “Comment” line is important to have in the .desktop file to make it easier to search for AppSelect or other application search programs installed in antiX.
    Grateful.

– – – – –

Por favor, aceitem o texto em pt-BR para o arquivo .desktop. A linha “Comment” é importante ter no arquivo .desktop para facilitar a busca do AppSelect ou de outros programas de pesquisa de aplicativos instalados no antiX.
    Grato.

[Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Ft10 Setup
    Name[pt]=Configurar o FT10
    Name[pt_BR]=Configurações do Menu da Barra de Ferramentas FT10
    GenericName=Configures FT10 settings
    GenericName[pt]=Configurar definições padrão do FT10
    GenericName[pt_BR]=Configurar as definições padrão do FT10
    Comment[pt_BR]=Alterar o modelo do menu principal da barra de ferramentas FT10
    Type=Application
    Exec=sh -c “sed -n ‘/launcher_item_app/p’ ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc > ~/.config/tint2/backed_up_launchers.txt ; cp ~/.config/jgmenu/append.csv ~/.config/jgmenu/appendBAK; ft10-create ; sed -i ‘/launcher_item_app/d’ ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc && cp ~/.config/jgmenu/appendBAK ~/.config/jgmenu/append.csv && cat ~/.config/tint2/backed_up_launchers.txt >> ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc ; pkill tint2; ft10-start”
    Icon=settings
    Categories=Settings;System;
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

Let me know when you want help testing…

Here is the section of tint2rc file where I changed right click on the menu button to bring up the IceWM main menu

#-------------------------------------
    # Button 1
    button = new
    button_text = 
    button_tooltip = Menu
    button_lclick_command = jgmenu_run
    button_rclick_command = xdotool keydown Control_L ; xdotool key Escape ;xdotool keyup Control_L
    button_mclick_command = 
    button_uwheel_command = 
    button_dwheel_command = 
    button_font = Sans 24
    button_font_color = #e6e9ef 100
    button_padding = 0 0
    button_background_id = 0
    button_centered = 0
    button_max_icon_size = 0

• This reply was modified 17 hours, 30 minutes ago by BobC.
Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.