Share your fluxbox theme

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics Share your fluxbox theme

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Jun 22-1:19 am by Xecure.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    XecureXecure

The same as the “share your conky” topics here and on MX, I was thinking it is better if we share our fluxbox creations (mainly fluxbox styles) in one topic for search ease.

Things to know:
    Fluxbox styles can be stored in two directories:

/usr/share/fluxbox/styles/
    ~/.fluxbox/styles/

The first, stores the default styles that come with antiX and is updated every time the fluxbox-themes packages are updated. The second should exist in your home folder, inside the hidden .fluxbox folder, but it doesn’t exist out of the box. My recommendation is to, if you download or create any new “themes”, create this styles folder and store all new styles in this folder. This way, you can:
    1. Avoid accidentally deleting all fluxbox themes in the system.
    2. Avoid needing root privileges to modify files.
    3. Move your home folder from system to system without losing/re-downloading your favorite styles (this also applies to all your configurations, not only fluxbox).

There are two ways to change your current style in fluxbox:
    1. From the fluxbox Rootmenu (hotkey Alt+R or right-click on the Desktop), navigate to Fluxbox Settings > Styles, and you will see all available fluxbox styles (from both style directories mentioned previously); the ones at the top will be from your home folder, and the ones after from the system folder. Click on any style to make the change.
    2. Modify your ~/.fluxbox/init file. Search for the line that starts with “session.styleFile:” and add the path to your desired style. Then save and close the file. The line should look like this:
    session.styleFile: ~/.fluxbox/styles/my-style

Once you have selected the style, you wont see the changes properly take place until you restart fluxbox. You can do that:
    1. from the Rootmenu (though it may be difficult, as depending from the previous and new style differences, it may be impossible to read any of the menu labels). Navigate to Fluxbox Settings > Restart.
    2. If you have activated fluxbox Remote Actions in the ~/.fluxbox/init file, you can restart fluxbox from the command line with:
    fluxbox-remote restart
    Note: The screen may blink while applying the changes. Don’t panic.

If you are still unable to restart fluxbox, you can restart your session.
    Rootmenu > Exit > Restart Session, or from command line:
    desktop-session-exit -R

Fluxbox versions:
    It is important to know that the current fluxbox version (as of the date of this post) is Fluxbox v1.3.5.
    If you are using a newer version, like skidoo’s upgraded Fluxbox v1.3.8, some things may be different. As far as I know, old themes should also work with newer version.
    Note: You can check in the terminal with fluxbox -v to know what version you are running.

XecureXecure

Athena “themes”

I have been working on a set of fluxbox styles with which to contribute to the antiX project, following noClues advice in the To Modernize antiX topic.

Trying to complement the “auditorio de Tenerife” wallpaper default on antiX19b, I selected blue as the “flashy” color for both a dark and light “theme”. For the darker style, I chose a darker blue that complements the blue in default “Arc-EvoPro2” gtk theme that comes with antiX19b, and a lighter sky-blue for the lighter theme, that also shares similar colors with “Arc-EvoPro2”.

I was looking for something related to Greece, even though antiX doesn’t advertise its origin very much. As light blue/sky blue is one of the colors that represents the Hellenic Goddess Athena, I chose that name for the “theme”. Athena is the embodiment of virtue. She maintains and protects law and justice and has an interest in everything which creates stability, strength and abundance. I found this interesting, and wasn’t able to find any other fluxbox style with this name, so here it is.

I don’t want to extend myself too much, so I will cut to the chase. The dark theme and light theme aren’t flashy and try to cater to the “modern” simplistic look we find trending in most distros. Nothing too showy.
    As it is standard in antiX, each style comes in three sizes: normal (small), Medium and Large. I have tried to adapt the text, toolbar, menu and window decoration sizes so that they work for each specific case (small for low resolution, Large for HiDPI, Medium for mostly any case). I have checked on different screen sizes and think I have achieved a good balance.
    Athena-dark-Medium
    If you enjoy fluxbox and wouldn’t mind to take a look, I would really appreciate your feedback.
    After a comfy sleep I rethought all the close buttons, that looked too similar to Windows. Discarded. Now it looks cleaner.
    Athena-light-Medium
    Special thanks:
    My thanks to noClue. I have been learning a lot these days on design. I have observed how you decide colors, and how to make it so they complement each other in a theme.
    My thanks to skidoo for his advice, and for his help with gitlab. I had problems with a push, as there were “hook problems”, so I ended up going the web IDE route, following the instructions in his posts. With your help I may finally be able to contribute with something interesting. I will wait so see if this is good enough before asking for a merge with the antix-contribs/fluxbox-themes-antix project.

You can download the themes here:
    Athena-dark
    Athena-light

Ignore attached files (would like them to be deleted)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Xecure. Reason: Edited but cannot delete attachements

500_fluxbox_styles.tar.gz (9.8MB)

this archivefile contains 500 fluxfox styles
    along with html pages providing a “preview” of each style.

Some of the styles (approx 100) contained in the archivefile here were retrieved from the now defunct “fluxmod.dk” website, bearing a license declaration stating “Creative Commons Attribution 3.0″

The other (approx 400) styles contained in the archivefile here were retrieved from http … tenr.de, accompanied by a statement declaring”
    -=-
    I host these styles that were created by various artists.
    I want you to know I did not make them, I dont want credit for them,
    Each style should contain license, and should also have the authors name
    as well as contact info for getting a hold of them. All I am doing is providing
    easy access to the old “fluxbmod-style”. Themes (sic) are owned by the creator.
    Please also follow the probably included license information in the themes (sic).
    If an author feels offended by me for providing the style please contact me (at “tenr dot de”)
    -=-
    As of June 2019, the tenr.de site is still available (page is marked LastUpdated: 2013)

At the tenr.de site, styles are presented across 19 (?) webpages.
    A “preview” thumbnail image is displayed for each style; clicking initiates download of a tar.bz file containing the assets for an individual style.

skidoo scraped the “preview” images for each style from tenr.de, embedded them into 2 loooooong html files, and placed the extracted content of the myriad tar.bz files to subdirectories within the “500” archivefile.

When viewing the local html files in web browser, clicking a preview navigates to the subdirectory containing the style of interest. You can copy the directory path, from browser addressbar to (commandline or) file manager pathbar, and transfer its content to ~/.fluxbox/sytles/<styleNameSubdirectory>

fluxbox v1.3.8, some things may be different.
    As far as I know, old themes should also work with newer version.

If you sample enough legacy fluxbox styles, you are certain to find one or several which aren’t “100% compatible” with v1.3.8

Across the board, v1.3.8 will, IIRC (months since I looked at the code), ignore any line within a style file which attempts to specify a wallpaper image. Wallpaper selection is governed globally, settable via desktop menu or via manual edit of the fluxbox init file.

Within the archivefile I’ve linked here, you can find one “for study” style (clearly labeled as such, residing within its own separate subdirectory and not exposed via the preview webpages) which, somewhere along the way during my testing, managed to crash/hang fluxbox when I attempted to load it. Rainy day project, I never bothered to track down & debug that anomaly.

The mainline fluxbox, last I checked, still attempts to jump through hoops — its style parser performs runtime translation — attempting to convert decade-long deprecated configuration items found in ancient styles into current-version-compatible configuration declarations. Madness! Doing so makes it impossible to properly document “which end is UP”. With v1.3.8, I strived to provide fully up-to-date and fully comprehensive manpages (the package may also install updated html docs, I can’t recall offhand). If you discover that a particular style configuration item behaves differently from the expected behavior detailed in the v1.3.8 manpages, it should be considered “a bug” (vs mainline’s treatment “oh yeah, someday we really oughta see about updating those docs”). If a style contains line(s) bearing configuration items, or values, which are not specified in the v1.3.8 manpages… it is a “less than fully compatible style file”.

===============

copypasta, from the README contained within the linked archivefile:

Some of the styles (approx 100) contained in the archivefile here were retrieved from the now defunct “fluxmod.dk” website, bearing a license declaration stating “Creative Commons Attribution 3.0″

The other (approx 400) styles contained in the archivefile here were retrieved from http … tenr.de, accompanied by a statement declaring”
    -=-
    I host these styles that were created by various artists.
    I want you to know I did not make them, I dont want credit for them,
    Each style should contain license, and should also have the authors name
    as well as contact info for getting a hold of them. All I am doing is providing
    easy access to the old “fluxbmod-style”. Themes (sic) are owned by the creator.
    Please also follow the probably included license information in the themes (sic).
    If an author feels offended by me for providing the style please contact me (at “tenr dot de”)
    -=-
    As of June 2019, the tenr.de site is still available (page is marked LastUpdated: 2013)

At the tenr.de site, styles are presented across 19 (?) webpages.
    A “preview” thumbnail image is displayed for each style; clicking initiates download of a tar.bz file containing the assets for an individual style.

skidoo scraped the “preview” images for each style from tenr.de, embedded them into 2 loooooong html files, and placed the extracted content of the myriad tar.bz files to subdirectories within the “500” archivefile.

When viewing the local html files in web browser, clicking a preview navigates to the subdirectory containing the style of interest. You can copy the directory path, from browser addressbar to (commandline or) file manager pathbar, and transfer its content to ~/.fluxbox/sytles/<styleNameSubdirectory>

==============

^—- Would a user be better served by visiting tenr.de, browsing and grabbing a few tiny (tar.bz?) files, just the styles they’re interested in? Probably, yes ~~ and (so) the archive file stands separate from, is not installed by the v1.3.8 debfile.

The dark theme and light theme…
    [..]
    As it is standard in antiX, each style comes in three sizes: normal (small), Medium and Large.

you will see all available fluxbox styles (from both style directories mentioned previously); the ones at the top will be from your home folder, and the ones after from the system folder.

In addition to “displays home-pathed styles at the top”, an important detail to consider is that the fluxbox Styles submenu will display only a limited number of styles. The Submenu provides no “scrollbar” widget. Beyond expandinig to display a two-column layout, when too many styles are (pre)installed… the displayed list will be truncated to whatever fits in those 2 columns. Offhand, I cannot recall whether the limit is is governed by hardcoded max value or is variable, according to the machine’s current display resolution.

So “(light + dark) * (small, medium, large)”
    will occupy 6 slots, will displace 6 other installed themes vying for limited display space.

When 6 themes additional (any, not specific to the Xecure themes mentioned here) are to be preinstalled, someone should be considering which other 6 themes are candidates for culling. The culling can be performed during the build-iso process… but any culled styles from the debian -supplied package will be reinjected if that package is upgraded, or is uninstalled/reinstalled.

XecureXecure

500_fluxbox_styles.tar.gz (9.8MB)

WOW! That is an enormous collection! I am sure anyone can find a suitable style for them in such a vast collection. Thanks for this contribution, skidoo! It must have been a lot of work!

In addition to “displays home-pathed styles at the top”, an important detail to consider is that the fluxbox Styles submenu will display only a limited number of styles.

When 6 themes additional (any, not specific to the Xecure themes mentioned here) are to be preinstalled, someone should be considering which other 6 themes are candidates for culling.

Ok… This limitation is important to note. I will check each of the pre-installed styles, as maybe some of them overlap with this one, and I remember at least one of them seems to be a bit broken. If not, then I will just forget it and keep the themes as a personal gitlab project for anyone to access.

Thanks for the heads-up.

By the way, anticapitalista has updated the default themes as I saw while updating my system yesterday.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.