Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie

Tagged: 

• This topic has 27 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated Apr 3-2:09 pm by U1tr4_B1u3.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Regarding “! Desktop”, if that means one workspace, you can edit the variable:

WorkspaceNames=” Web “, ” Mail “, ” Term “, ” Edit ”

In your .icewm/preferences file.

In my local entry, it is in line 882 of the preferences file, and I created four named workspaces. If you want one workspace,
    you could make the entry:

WorkspaceNames=” Workspace ”
    or
    WorkspaceNames=” 1 ”
    or whatever you prefer.

To get to the IceWM preferences (and other characteristics easily, Menu –> Control Centre –> Desktop –> Edit IceWM Settings
    You can then edit any of the IceWM configuration files, including the Preferences.

Brian Masinick

userzerouserzero

I am not familiar with rox-filer or ICEwm, hope not to disturb.

For rox-filer,

Change leafpad, xmms to xed, deadbeef … If you make any changes re-create the symlinks in [~/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/SendTo] … Notice that the directories are hidden …
    > _ ln -sT ~ /.local/share/applications/xed.desktop Open\ with\ xed
    > _ ln -sT /usr/share/applications/deadbeef.desktop Open\ with\ deadbeef

> _ ls -la .audio_flac /
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 40 Dec 2 14:45 ‘Open with deadbeef’ -> /usr/share/applications/deadbeef.desktop

> _ ls -la .text_x-log /
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 user user 50 Dec 2 14:39 ‘Open with xed’ -> /home/user/.local/share/applications/xed.desktop

userzerouserzero

Credits to @damo, Display the keybinds (~/.icewm/keys).
    Create a file ~/bin/tiling-kbinds.txt

example,

key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Left" wingrid-left.sh # Left-Move window to Left 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Right" wingrid-right.sh # Right-Move window to Right 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Up" wingrid-top.sh # Up-Move window Top 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Down" wingrid-bottom.sh # Down-Move window to Bottom 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Home" wingrid-topleft.sh # Home-Move window to Top Left 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Prior" wingrid-topright.sh # PgUp-Move window Top Right 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_End" wingrid-bottomleft.sh # End-Move window to Bottom Left 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Next" wingrid-bottomright.sh # PgDn-Move window to Bottom Right 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Insert" wingrid-maximize.sh # 0-Maximize window 
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Begin" wingrid-center.sh # 5-Center window
    key "Ctrl+Shift+KP_Delete" wingrid-close.sh # .-Close window

Create another file ~/bin/tiling-kbinds.sh,

#!/bin/bash
    ##
    ## tiling-kbinds.sh  by damo, August 2017
    ##

KBINDS="$HOME/bin/tiling-kbinds.txt"

ERROR_MSG1="$KBINDS does not exist"
    ERROR_MSG2="This script requires 'yad' to be installed"

[[ -f $KBINDS ]] 2>/dev/null || { notify-send "$ERROR_MSG1" >&2;exit 1;}

if type yad &>/dev/null;then
        yad --text-info --filename="$KBINDS" --width=580 --height=750 --undecorated \
        --no-buttons --margins=20 --borders=0
    else
        notify-send "$ERROR_MSG2" >&2
        exit 1
    fi

Add to ~/.icewm/keys

key "Super+r" icewm --restart
    key "Super+F1" /home/user/bin/tiling-kbinds.sh

Saludos.

Is there an easier way to connect to network attached drives? The method described by DO in an older video is time consuming and it always takes me several tries to get it work. This is the main thing that I don’t like about AnTix. Thanks.
    Jeff

XecureXecure

Do you mean using connectshares? Many have reported it works well. Or are you referring to something else?

I can see my WiFi router. I select it and click on Connect. When I enter my password into the Passphrase box and click OK, Connman returns an error message saying invalid-key. I have attempted this numerous times, so I know I am not fat-fingering or that I had inadvertently hit the Capslock key. Can you help?

XecureXecure

BruceW, Open a new thread with inxi -Fxz information and also let us know if the password contains spaces, special characters (#/\! etc). Connman doesn’t seem to handdle these special character well, so ceni is recommended in those cases.

special characters (#/\! etc). Important No \ at end of password, that is known bug.

1- Setting up wi-fi:
    1.2- Thanks to Xecure, we now have a new app to help activate and configure Wi-fi, for those of you that are having problems doing that: “antix-wifi-switch

One way to use it is Menu > Terminal and enter the command (don’t worry, it opens a graphical configuration tool)

antix-wifi-switch --gui connman

Click through the “helper” windows, then, on the “Wireless” tab, click “Connect” to the selected wi-fi network. Enter your wi-fi password on the field called “Passphrase”.
    After you correctly configured your network, you can close the Terminal window.

P.

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Also a reminder that Wifi is usually not “activated” by default in the Connman interface. If you are using the graphical version of Connman make sure that the interface (Ethernet, Bluetooth, or WiFi) that you want to use is enabled. Once the method you are using is enabled, particularly with WiFi and Bluetooth, you should be able to locate the network you want to use.

The tutorial that has been previously shared has all of the details too; I am merely reminding you about this…

Brian Masinick

U1tr4_B1u3U1tr4_B1u3

Hello, would be cool if anyone can explain how to set time format to 24 hours instead of 12 hour format. I can choose format to 24 hours but after restart the clock reset to 12 hour format back again. Thank you in advance i think this one would interest more people. Tried to change the string from preferences but that was not the way to change the format. Regards

XecureXecure

If this comment is related to changing preferences from the menu, to make them permanent, there is an option at the bottom of the icewm Preferences menu that should say “Save Modification”.[…] With this you can avoid having to manually edit files (for the few options you can see in the menu).

U1tr4_B1u3U1tr4_B1u3

Yes! Now i managed to set time format to 24 hours from string and saved that preference, now works as i intended. The other thing though regarding starting numlock “always on” did not worked even i followed the instruction from the start of this post. Many thanks for this tips and tricks post!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.