Should I get a Chromebook?

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Should I get a Chromebook?

• This topic has 32 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 25-5:17 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Cool! Nice to hear that it’s working!

--
      Brian Masinick

Ukracer

Did you ever get it working with Antix.

You might see my other post I am trying to get an old chromebox running as a remote control for my dad’s fire stick.

I was told to try Antix as its not easy with Ubuntu. ;(

Brian Masinick

My guess is that old Chromebooks might work with SOME systems, but the mapping of hardware support between what Google supports on various Chromebook vendor systems and what vendors like Asus, Acer, Lenovo, Dell, etc. offer on their Chromebooks versus what they offer for their other supported operating systems is probably different – and quite likely – and reasonably so, different because they sell one set of models predominantly for Microsoft Windows and another set for rival hardware and software vendor Google.

It’s possible at some point that some Linux developers could notice the Chrome related hardware and write drivers for the peripheral parts on those systems.

I said “guess” because this is only conjecture on my part, based on some systems not working with the (possibly unique) audio components. An in depth analysis of the parts and the drivers used to support that equipment would be necessary to add “substance” to my conjectures.

--
          Brian Masinick

christophe

Try searching the web for your exact model of chromebook/box & “install linux” or whatever you want to do with it. If someone smarter than you has done it, and outlined it, then maybe you’ll get lucky! You can follow the instructions. 🙂 That’s basically what I was able to do. I followed someone else’s instructions to wipe the bios & everything. (And I installed antiX, of course.)

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

seaken64

Did you ever get it working with Antix.

You might see my other post I am trying to get an old chromebox running as a remote control for my dad’s fire stick.

I was told to try Antix as its not easy with Ubuntu. ;(

I’m not sure if your question was directed to me. At any rate – NO, I did not install antiX on my Chromium Box. I do multi-boot on that machine and one of the OS on the other hard disk is antiX.

However, as Christophe mentioned rokytnji has successfully installed antiX on his Chrombook, as has Christophe. Do some searching and you may get some help.

My project was a little different in that I did not start with a Chromebook/Chromebox. I converted an HP All-in-One desktop to a ChromiumBox using Cloudready. I have never owned a Chromebook.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick

I also used Cloudready on one old computer. It worked but the network did not stay up very long.

I’ve been using antiX on the same hardware and it works better, but the hardware may have issues because if I attempt to use the system for a few hours the network also becomes unstable.

I tried antiX 19.5 and also antiX 21 Base with runit. 21 with the Base setup and runit works really well.
                Yesterday it stayed up as long or longer than anything else on my old system so that’s a good combination, at least it has been for me.

--
                Brian Masinick

seaken64

On the HP AIO the wireless does not stay up for very long. It does work in Windows but on all Linuxes it does not work well at all. I use the ethernet on that unit since it is a desktop anyway. On some of my other more portable units that have flakey WiFi adapters I use a USB dongle for WiFi.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick

In my case I wonder if the old system is dusty and in need of a tune up to clean it out.

Most of my other systems, including the Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop work great; no obvious issues with hardware or software.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

Looking through amazon sales.
                      Some killer deals during prime day I guess
                      http://www.amazon.com/chromebook/s?k=chromebook

Even rufurb 68 dollar units. Like the Dell 11. Lots of documentation on installing linux on Dell 11 chromebook for 68 bucks.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      Not all who Wander are Lost.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

You’d be amazed what you can get in certain neighborhoods by cruising the streets during “trash pickup days”.

A guy that used to be on some forums with me once lived in a decent neighborhood in a suburb perhaps within ~50-60 miles of NYC.
                        He found countless systems by the curb. Yeah, some were better than others, but back in the day these were desktop units.
                        I don’t know how many parts I was able to use, reuse, or combine into one or two fully functional desktop systems, but I definitely had a few.

Similarly my brother in law, who practices emergency medicine, had a few older systems that, when new, were upper middle to high end systems when new.
                        Yeah, they’re old now, and with Windows, some of them were pretty marginal; put magical antiX on them and guess what? They’re like new.

Today I’m back using my previous every day system, the Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop. When new, I bought it with HDD rather than SSD because at that time I could get an 8 TB hard drive versus 256-512 GB for the same price so back then I took the hard drive. I was able to test many distros that way, but eventually I replaced the HDD with SSD and the performance differential is sizable and noticeable; yes, again I sacrificed ultimate space for better performance because I didn’t need all of the space; sure enough,MUCH better performance today.

I love antiX 21 with a decent browser on this system; hard to distinguish from a “full featured” system for me because I really DON’T use all the features of a “full featured” distribution anyway.

A decent Chromebook to use as a Chromebook, such as the Acer Chromebook 715 that I own provides very good performance for Web-based computing, such as Webmail and forums like this one.

As far as a Dell 11 Chromebook compared to my brother in law’s Lenovo X201, I think the X201 would outperform the $68 Chromebook; my actual cost = time to move equipment and reinstall antiX, no new cash expenditure. Still, Dell models, such as the one I’m using now, are decent systems. We do have a LOT of different ways to use antiX; “ve have our vays!”

--
                        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I looked at the Lenovo X201 used or refurbished; they’re available from $39 – $125; eBay listed one that appears to be in working condition for $59.99; that’s probably a typical price for a working unit. For slightly more than $100 you can probably get one in very good shape, a little more and it’s probably been completely tested and refurbished.

On the low end under $50 you are at risk; some may work; others may have working parts.

--
                          Brian Masinick

xinghe

Chromebooks usually have better battery life and need less money than windows laptop.
                            I love my Acer Chromebook Spin 714, it is one of the upper midrange models you can get today. The thing makes a great basic laptop for browsing, streaming, youtube, and is able to play most android games so that is a nice plus.
                            As ChromeOS has been gotten more mature, I can no longer find anything that I couldn’t do with it. Of course, that depends a lot on what your needs from a computer are.
                            More options are always a good thing: http://pctechtest.com/12-best-chromebooks/

Brian Masinick

I do like my Chromebook models and to be honest with you, if it weren’t for my interest in our system and Linux systems in general my Android phone and my Chromebook would be all I need most of the time.

When some numbskull sends Apple pages word processor documents that’s one time when the many Linux tools are particularly useful for format translation and other manipulation.

--
                              Brian Masinick

PPC

When some numbskull sends Apple pages word processor documents

Ah, ah! I did not even know Apple had it’s own word processor. I’ve looked into buying a second hand chromebook and put antiX on it… I know that not all versions of the hardware support that, so I did not waste money I don’t have on that. If my laptop and netbook die on me, I’ll just buy the cheapest laptop with at least 2 Gb or RAM and slap antiX on it…
                                But, from the reviews I saw on-line, chromebooks are cheap (particularly in the USA), fast and have huge autonomy. It’s a pity the huge privacy problem that comes with using Google for everything (well, now that applies to MS Windows too, so probably Linux and other Open Source OSes are the last Privacy safe house computer users have… And yes, I do have a semi-degoogled android phone – that has as much google services off as possible on an unrooted device, I don’t use Google Maps, I only have gps on when I need it and I use Organic Maps, I use open source apps as much as I can, since I usually have google play services off- and I use Gmail as my main personal e-mail account, since the time that Googles was not “evil”, but nothing more than that).
                                Most people care nothing about on-line privacy, so chromebooks can be a cheat way of getting a decent laptop…

P.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by PPC.
                                Brian Masinick

PPC, to be brutally honest with you, if you’re truly worried about privacy, Apple, Google and Microsoft are only three of the potential security threats.

Before the days when ordinary people and companies were really active and the huge companies like IBM, General Electric and major automotive companies were among the few to even use computer systems, a few academic institutions started using computer systems and had an incredible need to use them to transfer information across their worldwide operations.

I worked at General Motors before TCP/IP and other protocols were distributed in products, though Ethernet was invented in 1973 if I remember correctly, so GM invented their own GMNet to communicate.

When UNIX started to become known we definitely looked into it and I was fortunate enough to be part of a relatively small group looking at the feasibility of a UNIX network to connect everything together and of course to get common protocols across every system.

At first that was huge because there were not many protocols available. Once people learned about Ethernet and TCP/IP it became a game changer. These days WiFi technology is doing the same thing to further expand communication.

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.