Should I get a Chromebook?

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Should I get a Chromebook?

• This topic has 22 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 9-1:47 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Cool! Nice to hear that it’s working!

Brian Masinick

Ukracer
    Helpful
    Up

Did you ever get it working with Antix.

You might see my other post I am trying to get an old chromebox running as a remote control for my dad’s fire stick.

I was told to try Antix as its not easy with Ubuntu. ;(

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

My guess is that old Chromebooks might work with SOME systems, but the mapping of hardware support between what Google supports on various Chromebook vendor systems and what vendors like Asus, Acer, Lenovo, Dell, etc. offer on their Chromebooks versus what they offer for their other supported operating systems is probably different – and quite likely – and reasonably so, different because they sell one set of models predominantly for Microsoft Windows and another set for rival hardware and software vendor Google.

It’s possible at some point that some Linux developers could notice the Chrome related hardware and write drivers for the peripheral parts on those systems.

I said “guess” because this is only conjecture on my part, based on some systems not working with the (possibly unique) audio components. An in depth analysis of the parts and the drivers used to support that equipment would be necessary to add “substance” to my conjectures.

Brian Masinick

christophe
    Helpful
    Up

Try searching the web for your exact model of chromebook/box & “install linux” or whatever you want to do with it. If someone smarter than you has done it, and outlined it, then maybe you’ll get lucky! You can follow the instructions. 🙂 That’s basically what I was able to do. I followed someone else’s instructions to wipe the bios & everything. (And I installed antiX, of course.)

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Did you ever get it working with Antix.

You might see my other post I am trying to get an old chromebox running as a remote control for my dad’s fire stick.

I was told to try Antix as its not easy with Ubuntu. ;(

I’m not sure if your question was directed to me. At any rate – NO, I did not install antiX on my Chromium Box. I do multi-boot on that machine and one of the OS on the other hard disk is antiX.

However, as Christophe mentioned rokytnji has successfully installed antiX on his Chrombook, as has Christophe. Do some searching and you may get some help.

My project was a little different in that I did not start with a Chromebook/Chromebox. I converted an HP All-in-One desktop to a ChromiumBox using Cloudready. I have never owned a Chromebook.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I also used Cloudready on one old computer. It worked but the network did not stay up very long.

I’ve been using antiX on the same hardware and it works better, but the hardware may have issues because if I attempt to use the system for a few hours the network also becomes unstable.

I tried antiX 19.5 and also antiX 21 Base with runit. 21 with the Base setup and runit works really well.
    Yesterday it stayed up as long or longer than anything else on my old system so that’s a good combination, at least it has been for me.

Brian Masinick

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

On the HP AIO the wireless does not stay up for very long. It does work in Windows but on all Linuxes it does not work well at all. I use the ethernet on that unit since it is a desktop anyway. On some of my other more portable units that have flakey WiFi adapters I use a USB dongle for WiFi.

Seaken64

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

In my case I wonder if the old system is dusty and in need of a tune up to clean it out.

Most of my other systems, including the Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop work great; no obvious issues with hardware or software.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.