Should I get a Chromebook?

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Should I get a Chromebook?

• This topic has 32 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 25-5:17 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Regarding security, you have to have a ridiculous fortress around everything you have an a lot of additional surveillance to even come close to ‘security’.

Google and the others don’t scare me, potential identity theft is a much more serious matter; pay attention to that instead of worrying about what companies know about our buying habits. Theft can literally rob us of everything. Less to worry about if you are poor, but crooked people are able to use poor people’s systems, many of them combined together are used to attack wealthy people and companies.

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

When some numbskull sends Apple pages word processor documents

Ah, ah! I did not even know Apple had it’s own word processor. I’ve looked into buying a second hand chromebook and put antiX on it… I know that not all versions of the hardware support that, so I did not waste money I don’t have on that. If my laptop and netbook die on me, I’ll just buy the cheapest laptop with at least 2 Gb or RAM and slap antiX on it…
        But, from the reviews I saw on-line, chromebooks are cheap (particularly in the USA), fast and have huge autonomy. It’s a pity the huge privacy problem that comes with using Google for everything (well, now that applies to MS Windows too, so probably Linux and other Open Source OSes are the last Privacy safe house computer users have… And yes, I do have a semi-degoogled android phone – that has as much google services off as possible on an unrooted device, I don’t use Google Maps, I only have gps on when I need it and I use Organic Maps, I use open source apps as much as I can, since I usually have google play services off- and I use Gmail as my main personal e-mail account, since the time that Googles was not “evil”, but nothing more than that).
        Most people care nothing about on-line privacy, so chromebooks can be a cheat way of getting a decent laptop…

P.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/ – iwork is the main Apple Office Suite that competes with Microsoft Office, Office 365, and Google Apps
        Google Workspace : Collaboration + productivity apps
        There are many different office software suites but Google Workspace formerly known as G Suite remains the original cloud one and one of the best business office suites, offering a huge range of features and functionality that rivals can’t match. Google Workspace offers both a free user based environment and a paid commercial account.

I’ll tell you one thing – Microsoft has a full featured set of products, both the traditional type and the online type (365) and both are solid. I’d argue that Google’s versions are as easy or easier, 100% online unless you take the files offline.

Apple’s product is also extremely powerful, but while you’d be inclined to think that it may be EASY, nothing is further from the truth; out of all of the word processors I’ve ever used, including Word, Word Perfect, and a few of the really ancient ones in the early days, the Pages that comes with iwork is the most awkward word processor I’ve ever seen; it’s powerful, but counter intuitive in everything; senior citizens get fooled into getting Apple products because they’re “expensive” and “high quality”, then the majority of them I’ve seen in my community can’t even use the thing properly; my wife and I often get online, put Google Docs on their systems and tell them to use this, it’s WAY easier; the ones who listen to us don’t have issues any more; the ones who don’t listen to us I’m apt to say; use what we suggested; if you use something else, you’re on your own to figure it out!

For between two and three decades I’ve seen Apple make good, solid electronic products, but every time I compare them to something I can run with either Microsoft, UNIX, Linux, or a form of BSD that’s NOT Apple, I can come up with a faster alternative that is also considerably less expensive and not bound to run only expensive hardware that’s also constrained to run equally expensive software, and the only way around it is to install Linux or BSD OVER than Apple stuff; to say I’m anti Apple is an understatement. People have criticized Microsoft for generations, but I’d take even Microsoft EVERY TIME over Apple, but then I’d put my own software on the hardware.

By the way, I’ve seen some recent Microsoft Surface models – perhaps they are OLD models, but the price points are finally getting down to pretty reasonable prices compared to the $800-1000 prices of the past; I saw some modest hardware in the under $600 price range, and some clearly older, maybe used stuff showing up right around $300! Now that’s something that’ll still run Windows, but it’d be perfect to slap a nice version of antiX – particularly antiX 23 when it’s ready to be released!

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

http://www.techradar.com/best/free-office-software provides many different alternatives; this is what I appreciate most about the overall software ecosystem: you can get free, freely available, commercial free and commercial software, depending on your needs, interests, ability to chart your own course or the need to have 24 hour support; all of the choices and options are available, so it’s not necessary that “one size fits all” as some product marketing will claim for certain products.

--
          Brian Masinick

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.