Show us your conky’s

Forum Forums General Screenshots Show us your conky’s

Tagged: 

• This topic has 47 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated Mar 17-1:36 pm by h3kt0r.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi male, thanks for feedback and interest but no, it definitely works. It shows 34°C when the laptop boots up, after some while 49°C and the temperature rises to 56°C when a video is running e.g.
      i actually thought that i probably picked it up from one of your conkies.

@caprea,

i can confirm that. “The ways of the Lord are unsearchable”.
      However, this does not change the fact that exec is a “once” command.

exec
      Executes a shell command and displays the output in conky. warning: this takes a lot more resources than other variables. I’d recommend coding wanted behaviour in C and posting a patch.

execi
      Same as exec but with specific interval. Interval can’t be less than update_interval in configuration. See also $texeci

execpi
      Same as execp but with specific interval. Interval can’t be less than update_interval in configuration. Note that the output from the $execpi command is still parsed and evaluated at every interval.

texeci
      Runs a command at an interval inside a thread and displays the output. Same as $execi, except the command is run inside a thread. Use this if you have a slow script to keep Conky updating. You should make the interval slightly longer then the time it takes your script to execute. For example, if you have a script that take 5 seconds to execute, you should make the interval at least 6 seconds. See also $execi. This object will clean up the thread when it is destroyed, so it can safely be used in a nested fashion, though it may not produce the desired behaviour if used this way.

Source: http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

However, a quick test (unfortunately I don’t have antiX with 1.9 available here) shows me that your command here reads the GPU and not the CPU. 😉

Anonymous

@moddlt,
        a guide:

Intel and AMD CPU reporting:
                      Intel     AMD
        conky         Core      CPU
        ${cpu cpu1}    0         1
        ${cpu cpu2}    1         2
        ${cpu cpu3}    2         3
        ${cpu cpu4}    3         4
        ${cpu cpu5}    4         5
        ${cpu cpu6}    5         6
        ${cpu cpu7}    6         7
        ${cpu cpu8}    7         8
        ${cpu cpu0}    Total/Average of above
        -------------------------------------------
        und die Aufteilung der CPU in conky:
        Intel		AMD		Conky
        Quad		4 CPU		${cpu}
        ------------------------------------------
        Core0		cpu1		${cpu1}
        Core1		cpu2		${cpu2}
        Core2		cpu3		${cpu3}
        Core3		cpu4		${cpu4}
        and "conky" uses ${cpu0} - to calculate the average of the 4 "cores"

and, regarding hdd / ssd (readout with hddtemp), maybe this is interesting for you:

apt-listchanges: Neuigkeiten
        —————————-

hddtemp (0.3-beta15-54) unstable; urgency=medium

hddtemp has been dead upstream for many years and is therefore in a minimal
        maintenance mode. It will be shipped in the Debian Bullseye release, but
        will not be present in the Debian Bookworm release.

Nowadays the ‘drivetemp’ kernel module is a better alternative. It uses the
        Linux Hardware Monitoring kernel API (hwmon), so the temperature is returned
        the same way and using the same tools as other sensors.

Loading this module is as easy as creating a file in the /etc/modules-load.d
        directory:

echo drivetemp > /etc/modules-load.d/drivetemp.conf

— Aurelien Jarno <aurel32@debian.org> Tue, 02 Feb 2021 20:27:44 +0100

ModdIt

Hi male, thanks for info,

Showing core 1 to 4 in output is clearer. Changed now.

Will do some searching and see if I can get output from the drivetemp
          setup to show in conky this evening.

I had no success with hddtemp for the nvme setup.

Anonymous

Hi male, thanks for info,

Showing core 1 to 4 in output is clearer. Changed now.

Will do some searching and see if I can get output from the drivetemp
            setup to show in conky this evening.

I had no success with hddtemp for the nvme setup.

How do you know your nvme/ssd has a temperature sensor?

I am curious about your experience with drivetemp.

However, you could also use the smartctl active in antiX. Like this:
            sudo smartctl -A /dev/nvme0
            then
            sudo chmod u+s /usr/sbin/smartctl
            and in conky (without root 😉 )
            ${execi 60 smartctl -A /dev/nvme0 | awk 'FNR==5 {print $2}'} °C

For ALL, to a hdd it is with me:
            ${execi 60 smartctl -A /dev/sda | awk 'FNR==21 {print $10}'} °C

ModdIt

male asked:
              How do you know your nvme/ssd has a temperature sensor?
              drive specs plus both smartctl nvme-cli give a readout.
              Sandisk Corp WD Black 2018/SN750 / PC SN720 NVMe SSD
              Operating Temperature7 32ºF to 158ºF (0ºC to 70ºC) points to note:
              Operational temperature as reported by device (composite temperature.)

Thanks for smartctl recipes, they should work nicely on my setup as smartctl
              seems to give a plausible readout.

I think readout from below could also be incorporated in a conky
              maybe needs nvme-cli

nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0 | grep "^temperature"

For users access: add to
              /etc/sudoers
              # For users group
              %users ALL = NOPASSWD: nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0 | grep "^temperature"
              # For all
              ALL ALL = NOPASSWD: nvme smart-log /dev/nvme0 | grep "^temperature"

Still trying to find more info on drivetemp and figure out a way to use it.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by ModdIt.
              Anonymous

I think readout from below could also be incorporated in a conky
                maybe needs nvme-cli

With certainty not. 😉

Still trying to find more info on drivetemp and figure out a way to use it.

This is stated in the changelog I quoted.

ModdIt

Now can read NVME and show in conky.

Whole text is red although the cpu temp string I used as a template shows the cpu temp in white and the temperature reading in red. Red because we are talking heat :-).

${goto 6}${voffset 4}NVME Temp:${alignr}${color #FA180A}${execi 30 sensors | grep 'Composite' | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/+//' | sed 's/\.0//g'} $color

All the other strings I have tested were either totaly non functional or while testing commands in the terminal sed indicated an error.

Checking the sensors temp against smartctl seems plausible. Sensors may be more accurate as shows comma value too. Maybe reading every 30 seconds is total overkill,
                  will probably change to a longer intervall.

Not sure if I got some of the the code from another forum member or in an archers thread. Getting my cpu temps to show in the way I wanted was challenging.
                  Conky setup noob. First on arch based then moved on to antiX.
                  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=63974

blur13

exec updates according to the update interval, so its not a “once” command (even though the wording is unclear in the description). pre_exec is a “once” command. I think I might even have been taught this by Male 🙂

By the way, I dont recommend using pre_exec as a lot of the time it will cause conky to not start at all, its rather hit or miss. Much better to use execi with a huge interval.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by blur13.
                    Anonymous

@blur13

you are right 😉

Still, it doesn’t change the fact that exec is a one-time command.

more sources:
                      man conky or
                      http://ifxgroup.net/conky.htm#exec

ModdIt

NVME temperature display in conky, now hovering at 41.9, I have no idea how to round that up to 42,
                        seems useless not to display one degree C intervalls. NVME smart log shows 42 so readout seems plausible.

At last, I now have device description in white, temp in C red, also all lines are correctly aligned.

${goto 6}${color #FFF}${voffset 4}NVME Temp:${alignr -6}${color #FA180A}${execi 6 sensors | grep 'Composite' | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/+//' | sed 's/\.0//g'}

The first color entry defines that NVME Temp is displayed in white.
                        alignr -6 gives me the correct position relative to cpu temp etc. Plus or minus values can be used as neccesary.
                        The second color entry defines red, standard for hot.
                        execi 6 defines the intervall in seconds at which sensors is run.
                        grep ‘Composite’ selects the correct entry in sensors output.
                        awk ‘{print $2}’ figured out by experiment

sed magic beyond my present understanding…but working on that, starting point as it seems practicaly orientated.

http://www.ionos.de/digitalguide/server/konfiguration/linux-sed-befehl/

Anonymous

Thanks @moddlt,

unfortunately I have no output in conky with your command.

-Why do not you show a picture?
                          -What is this antiX, base or sid?
                          -Please show the output of
                          sensors
                          for m in /sys/class/hwmon/* ; do echo -n "$m = " ; cat $m/name ; done

Your explanations of the command are correct in the sense that
                          ${color #FFF} must be correctly named for white ${color #FFFFFF};
                          the alignr -6 moves the output beyond the conky window
                          see the three examples:

${goto 6}${color #FFFFFF}${voffset 4}NVME Temp:${alignr -6}${color #FA180A}${execi 6 sensors | grep 'Composite' | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/+//' | sed 's/\.0//g'}temp°C${color}
                          ${goto 6}${color #FFFFFF}${voffset 4}NVME Temp:${alignr}${color #FA180A}${execi 6 sensors | grep 'Composite' | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/+//' | sed 's/\.0//g'}temp°C${color}
                          ${goto 6}${color #FFFFFF}${voffset 4}NVME Temp:${alignr 6}${color #FA180A}${execi 6 sensors | grep 'Composite' | awk '{print $2}' | sed 's/+//' | sed 's/\.0//g'}temp°C${color}

ModdIt

Here all working,
                            the -6 command seems fine on this machine, screen resolution and wide screen. Bigger pixels horizontal as i understand things..
                            if (low = -5.2°C, high = +79.8°C) is off screen I have no idea how to cut it off correctly.
                            Other machines or setups will probably in many cases need adjusting
                            which is why I noted plus and minus values can be used.
                            I get white as setup and red temp.

White shows correctly due below,
                            #ffffff color RGB value is (255,255,255).
                            This hex color code is also a web safe color which is equal to #FFF.
                            I was aware #ffffff is White color but as web safe code works leaving as is.

Conky shot added as attachment.

$ sensors
                            coretemp-isa-0000
                            Adapter: ISA adapter
                            Package id 0: +39.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
                            Core 0: +36.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
                            Core 1: +39.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
                            Core 2: +39.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)
                            Core 3: +37.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +98.0°C)

nvme-pci-0200
                            Adapter: PCI adapter
                            Composite: +38.9°C (low = -5.2°C, high = +79.8°C)
                            (crit = +84.8°C)

drivetemp-scsi-0-0
                            Adapter: SCSI adapter
                            temp1: +28.0°C (low = +0.0°C, high = +70.0°C)
                            (crit low = +0.0°C, crit = +70.0°C)
                            (lowest = +28.0°C, highest = +40.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
                            Adapter: ACPI interface
                            temp1: +27.8°C (crit = +99.0°C)
                            temp2: +29.8°C (crit = +99.0°C)

$ for m in /sys/class/hwmon/* ; do echo -n “$m = ” ; cat $m/name ; done
                            /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0 = nvme
                            /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon1 = acpitz
                            /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon2 = coretemp
                            /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon3 = drivetemp

Attachments:
                            Anonymous

You’re wasting my time!
                              I was just wondering if you were pulling my leg.
                              drivetemp is active with you after all!

Comment out your ‘complicated’ sed command and hwmon3 ves. hwmon0 are their friends.

${hwmon 3 temp 1}

and code-tags!

ModdIt

@male
                                Agree hwmon is pretty simple and it is built in to conky. Means output is converted to usable
                                info.

As you know more than I have found to work may I humbly request you
                                Post a screenshot of your fully working conky using hwmon parameter and the corresponding
                                conkyrc lines for NVMI and SSD.

${hwmon 3 temp 1} gives SSD temp of 28C on my present device
                                ${hwmon 0 temp 1} gives the readout 42C for NVME

I have found sensors && inxi -s pretty useful while checking readouts for plausible results.
                                Both are plausible. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous

My SSD in another computer is from 2011 and has no temperature sensors.
                                  I do not own an NVME.

As you can see, I also do not have a properly functioning conky in antiX21.
                                  https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/pipewire-to-manage-audio-in-antix-21/page/4/#post-87119

Accordingly, I can also only show the relevant code of the test conky. Note that it is a ThinkPad and I am running different command temp determinations.
                                  This does not have to work on other computers.

dT-CPU  : ${alignr}${execi 60 sensors | awk '/^Core /{++r; gsub(/[^[:digit:]]+/, "", $3); s+=$3} END{print s/(10*r) "°C"}'}
                                  vT-Core1: ${alignr}${hwmon 4 temp 2}°C
                                  vT-Core2: ${alignr}${hwmon 4 temp 3}°C
                                  GPU : ${alignr}${color4}${if_match ${platform thinkpad_hwmon/hwmon/hwmon3 temp 2} < 53}${platform thinkpad_hwmon/hwmon/hwmon3 temp 2}°C${else}${color3}${if_match ${platform thinkpad_hwmon/hwmon/hwmon3 temp 2} > 53}${platform thinkpad_hwmon/hwmon/hwmon3 temp 2}°C${else}${platform thinkpad_hwmon/hwmon/hwmon3 temp 2}°C${endif}${endif}${color}
                                  MBoard  : ${alignr}${hwmon 0 temp 2}°C
                                  0 CPU Avg   ${cpu cpu0}%  ${alignr}${execi 60 lscpu | grep "CPU MHz" | cut -c22-29} MHz
                                  1 CPU1      ${cpu cpu1}%  ${alignr}${freq 1} MHz
                                  2 CPU2      ${cpu cpu2}%  ${alignr}${freq 2} MHz
                                  CPU FAN : ${alignr}${hwmon 3 fan 1} RPM
                                  Disk sda: 
                                  smartctl  ${alignr}${color green}${execpi 60  /usr/sbin/smartctl -A /dev/sda | awk 'FNR==21 {print $10}'} °C${color}
                                  drivetemp ${alignr}${color e77320}${hwmon 5 temp 1} °C${color}
                                  #${alignr}${execi 600 /usr/sbin/hddtemp /dev/sda | cut -c36-40}

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.